JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I mean, for your main squeeze, go-to, first one to grab self defense zombie rifle? How many rounds is enough?

I got to thinking. How many battles would I survive until I was killed in an urban/suburban SHTF deal, protecting what I have? How many rounds could I fire in that situation before someone else got me?

So, how many rounds is enough to last "for a lifetime?" What are you comfortable with? Most of us don't have fully auto spray and pray guns. We aim each round and plan to hit the target.

If you had to bug out, how many could you actually take with you?

I'm trying to find a stopping point. I just ordered another 2k XM193 from Jack at Dan-Dee Sales, and I reload too. There has to be some upper limit, even considering that I want to arm a couple of relatives who know how to help but won't have the resources themselves.

How much is too much, or is there such a thing?

No such thing.

Once you hit a trailer load of ammo then maybe it's time to quit.

I think it depends on how much safe storage capacity one has at home.

Ammo is cheaper now than it will ever be. It stores well when done properly. Since it will likely cost more, and perhaps be less available as time goes on my goal was/is to fill up my storage locker. As I shoot (which is a lot more often since I joined the local gun club), I keep restocking so the pantry remains full. Whenever ammo supply is interrupted I will go into "conservation mode" and only shoot what I can acquire ahead of time. Can I put "quantities" on it? Not really. I just have 'x' number of ammo boxes for each caliber and keep them full.

I'm not really sure I have an upper limit, but I do have a floor. I keep a couple of different rifles around for various reasons and try to keep a minimum amount of ammo on hand. Most of my rifles are common calibers, so finding more ammo might be difficult, but will be easier than trying to find something like .257 Roberts Ackley Improved... :)

Are you planning on moving, bugging out, or bugging in? Do you rent? Is your family situation (like where your relatives are parked) stable, or is everybody still deciding on where their "dying home" will be?

Once you're sure that you're not moving again, there's no downside right now to stockpiling what you're sure you'll NEED. Ammo will be like money, sure, but in the near term (like the next several years) you're going to need CASH too. Sure, all fiat currencies will eventually blow up and become worthless, but that'll take years to pan out. In the meantime, cash is king.

Think of Haiti: They need plenty of ammo to scare people off, not to pop 'em, but when it's time to go buy a bag o' beans the vendor wants cash on the barrelhead, not bricks of .22LR. Ever heard the expression "house-poor?" Just as long as you don't become "ammo-poor," then IMO it's always a good investment. But don't risk your cash flow, no matter how certain you are that the zombie invasion is imminent.

Just my $0.02. Which is what I paid for each of the 60-70k rounds of .22LR that I snapped up a few years ago. So I'm not in the "trailer" crowd like Dyjital, but still in possession of a big enough pile to annoy the wife.

It depends, I try to have at least 500rnds for each weapon....that includes pistols. I try to keep at least 2 mags loaded for each of my semi-autos with one of the mags in the weapon itself (none in the pipe).

My AR and my AK are easy to get 500rnds of each...but my 25-06- not so much. You just have to get a little at a time of what you can get. But when you get a big paycheck, check out ammotogo.com. Best ammo website I've found yet.

Also, I keep my ammo stored in ammo cans (even the stuff loaded into mags) with silica packets and next to a de-humidifier. This stuff might have to last me, so I'm taking care of it as best as I can.

I don't think there's such a thing as having too much ammo. Only problem if you're looking to grab your rifle and run with it (in a bug out situation), be prepared to leave most of it behind. Don't know about most of the people out there, but with my bag and gun and other survival necessities, you won't see my fat behind lugging a couple thousand rounds of ammo with me. I generally leave 6-9 AR mags (30 rounders) loaded with 28 rounds each plus a mag in each of my AR's, 2 pistol mags for my main carry gun, a pistol mag loaded for the other, my auto loader home defense shotgun loaded, and then one mag for each other gun loaded in the safe. Figure that'd have me pretty set for an immediate action. I know dudes that have like 20 mags loaded for each gun ready to go. Seems a little extreme to me. If I gotta rip off more than a few mags without time to grab one of my other guns or take some time to load up some more mags...I'm probably in way over my head anyways and should get the F out of there.

I "think" a 1k box of 5.56 xm193 weighs about 30 pounds and that's a pretty small box - maybe the size of two shoe boxes. Ammo is heavy, at any rate. So, the 2k rounds I just ordered from Jack might weigh 60 pounds. No one is going to bug out on foot into the wilderness with many thousands of rounds of anything, even .22lr which gets heavy too.

Chemist, I'm bugging in. I'll make it or die right here if the SHTF. I've planned for it and it's the best I can do.

Still, I wonder how much is enough. It's a serious question.

My general rule would be a 1000 per caliber rifle at least with an increasing balance of reloadable ammo for shooting and stored ammo for surplus, and of course there is surplus thats is fine to shoot regular..
but I would like to have a huge supply of .223/.556 and 7.62x39 just for the unknown.

I've thought about this too. I've kinda set my minimum to 1000 rnds for my go to gun. Because really when you think about it, if SHTF I don't think we the regular people are going to be going out getting into big gun battles. It's going to mostly be hunting and maybe the occasional scrap if somebody oversteps your boundaries... I just kind of feel like having a million rounds isn't going to be necessary.

I tend to agree with Buddymack above: try to stock at least 1000 rounds in each caliber of factory ammo. Then use reloads for practice (and fun) and build up more of a stockpile through buying and assembling components.

I tend to agree with Buddymack above: try to stock at least 1000 rounds in each caliber of factory ammo. Then use reloads for practice (and fun) and build up more of a stockpile through buying and assembling components.

Well rest assured I have the minimum then. One reason I'm buying factory rounds is that they might also barter better if I have extra. I can shoot my reloads first.

I'm still trying to picture in my mind how many rounds a guy might need...

Well rest assured I have the minimum then. One reason I'm buying factory rounds is that they might also barter better if I have extra. I can shoot my reloads first.

I'm still trying to picture in my mind how many rounds a guy might need...

10,000 rounds sounds like a reasonable starting goal. you could spend a good amount in a gun battle, so the more the merrier.

How often to you plan to miss your target? That should tell you how many rounds you need:D:D:D

I am kinda lost on this question. If the ammo is for defense then how many enemies do you have? If the ammo is for hunting then do you need 10,000 to feed your family? What is the round count between breakdowns on your rifle? Do you even have a spare parts kit? Got a gas ring for the bolt on your AR?

jj

I like the Zombieland "Mad People Disease" idea, but in a perfect world:

From Patient Zero you'll want enough ammo & supplies to defend against mad flesh-eaters and yahoo looters to hold out for about 3 weeks. By then the "herd" should be thoroughly thinned enough to allow for viable supply runs. (taking into account zombified humans don't have the sense to drink water and the looters don't have the sense to loot useful stuff.)

If I could I'd have an old (or new) box van, the local delivery type like an Alsco truck, fedex etc. Put it in my back yard and get to tinkering. Improved locks, armor, tire and engine protection, etc. Inside would be radios, ammo/gun lockers, food storage, and an acquired supplies section, as it would be my "raid" vehicle. (or i could "Acquire" the local cops' new SWAT truck, but this is prep, not improvising.)

(back to the original subject) Figuring you'll be putting rounds over people's heads as well as into them, this would be happening at least 24 hours a day, you aren't one to spray-and-pray, modest accuracy and the 3 week holdout...
200 a day in standard defense, add 600 in an assault situation... (say, 3 of those a week..)
If you wish to extend or reduce the number of "survivor weeks", multiply by:
2weeks 66%, 4weeks 133%, 6weeks 200% (and round up to the nearest hundred.)

4000 to 9000 rounds assault rifles (add 1000 rounds per other shooter)
1000 to 2400 rounds sniper rifles (add 200 rounds per shooter)
2000 to 4500 rounds handguns (add 500 rounds per shooter)
(if you have all 3, use the low number as your minimum goal + rounds for extra people, if you're able to, use the high number as your "shooting limit" with rounds after that used for hunting, bartering, etc)

3 people: 6000 assault, 1400 sniper, 3000 handgun, Minimum
3 people: 11000 assault, 2800 sniper, 5500 handgun, Max Shooting Stock
any rounds after the high number, tuck away and consider them non-existent.

That should last you 'til you're dead, or going to be alive long enough to be a survivor.

A good idea is to always rotate your stock, put the new ammo in the back and the older ammo up front. Always use the oldest for the range. I always mark the box with the date of purchase.

4000 to 9000 rounds assault rifles (add 1000 rounds per other shooter)
1000 to 2400 rounds sniper rifles (add 200 rounds per shooter)
2000 to 4500 rounds handguns (add 500 rounds per shooter)
(if you have all 3, use the low number as your minimum goal + rounds for extra people, if you're able to, use the high number as your "shooting limit" with rounds after that used for hunting, bartering, etc)

Bless you, man! Now to convince my wife this is necessary! :D She's a bit freaked out by our guest b/r closet w/ the ammo cans full of stuff as it is (and nowhere near your numbers!)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top