JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't mind projects and learning how to take stuff apart is fun for me. I just did my first trigger job on an old Smith model 10. Nothing drastic, just a little stoning and spring replacement, definitely a learning experience but a lot of fun.

1911's aren't Swiss watches...they're made to work with quite a bit of 'give' to them.

That's funny, your probably right, but it doesn't stop everyone and their buddies from tightening them up so much, that the only way they can work is by exact tolerances..

As with most guns, I have a love hate relationship with the 1911...about the best accuracy platform out there, but I sometimes feel I have to be a mechanical engineer to make them work all the time...

Me thinks the problems are 2 fold;

As you stated "everyone and their buddies" probably don't pay much attention to the original blue prints for the gun, and adhere to the tolerances.

Then you have as Hilton Yam states "....that any particular 1911 is now made with parts made to various specs that have wandered away from the original for one reason or another, and is fed with ammo and mags that have similarly changed or evolved."

What 2 firearms platforms have the most accessories/after market schtuff available? 1911 & AR
What 2 platforms have the most troubleshooting questions asked?

Which in the end is not the fault of the platforms, it comes down to the old saying, too many cooks spoiling the stew.
Or in other words, lots of cheap junk on the market that resembles the higher end stuff, but is often not in spec or causes problems...there's a reason why its cheaper in price.

Well on one hand you got these 'Browning guya' that talk of him like he's a god..and any 1911 variant that departs from a single stack original WWII 1911 is blasphemy, and 'if John Browning wanted to design it that way, he would have'

Just plain ignorant...having shot plenty of WWII replica 1911s...total crap...improving on trigger, action, reliability from the original design ect was 'the only way to go' besides getting a different gun..

What this comes down to is simple...there are crap guns, decent guns, excellent guns...try to find a good one...

BMW2 after you get a picture and good idea of how the hammer/trigger/safety parts are installed check if the sear spring is pushing the grip safety back when you release the grip. I have an old Auto Ord. 1911, another 1911 of questionable quality but you can make them work for a truck gun or I call my beater 1911. The grip safety wasn't coming all the way back every time and won't work unless it does. You can probably just bend the sear spring but I just put in a new one as they are cheap. Get to know Wolff Springs and Midway for reasonable parts. Get to know your 1911 and do whatever work you can yourself as these cheaper ones are not worth a lot of gunsmith money if you can help it. Just check them for consistancy after any work, dry fire first and if it feels right go to the range or wherever you can shoot and run a bunch of hardball through it and repeat until it feels right. These guns are useful, just don't put a ton of money into them. They are great for learning what makes a 1911 tick.

I have a great 1911 gun smith I can turn you on to...trust me if your 1911 is screwed up, the chances of you fixing it are probably about nil...this gun is so byzantine in it's timing and what is required to make it work...besides if you get a good g. smith, he will have it fixed in no time....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top