JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I just purchased a Llama .45 and after closer inspection, the gun will fire without the grip safety depressed. This is my first 1911 style weapon, so any help would be appreciated. Is this a matter of a simple part replacement or will I need the services of a gunsmith? Also how much parts compatibility do the Llama's share with an actual 1911? I know the mags interchange but that's about it.

Thanks

Oh and it's a fullsize gun with no model markings, was imported by Stoeger and was built in 1984. If that helps anyone.

The mags shouldnt interchange. At least they didnt on my old llama. As far as grip safety, alot of parts do interchange with other 70 series 1911s. You can do a internet search to see what parts interchange as I cant quite remember.

Hmm, I'll have to borrow a mag from a buddy and check that. I always feel a little let down when I get lied to by a seller, my fault for not doing my homework I guess but I'm not a 1911 guy(or auto guy for that matter) and bought it on a whim. At least it wasn't expensive.

So, question number two, anyone know where to get Llama mags?

It was common practice in the 70's and 80's to disconnect the grip safety on 1911's so as to be able to fire under stress when you may not have a good grip on the gun. Mostly they were "pinned". The increasingly litigious nature of our society makes having a firearm in such a condition inprudent. I had my Combat Commander "unpinned" in the late 90's and suggest you take your Llama to a 'smith for a checkup. It's no big deal to return to factory conditon if that is the issue. I've never owned a Llama so I can't help with your other questions.

So, I just purchased a Llama .45 and after closer inspection, the gun will fire without the grip safety depressed. This is my first 1911 style weapon, so any help would be appreciated. Is this a matter of a simple part replacement or will I need the services of a gunsmith? Also how much parts compatibility do the Llama's share with an actual 1911? I know the mags interchange but that's about it.

Thanks

Oh and it's a fullsize gun with no model markings, was imported by Stoeger and was built in 1984. If that helps anyone.

Welcome to a problem that I am having..

Your grip safety has a little lever inside that when out, lays up against the back side of your trigger, called a stirrup or bow...if the stirrup/bow is too far forward from this lever...then the trigger can come back, engage the sear before it runs into the grip safety lever...

The stupid thing about all this is if you adjust the stirrup, your also adjusting the placement of the sear, disconnet, ect as well..so the fix in your case might be to ADD meat to the lever to engage this stirrup before it comes back to far...

In my case, I bought an IPSC gun that at first shot, didn't have a working grip safety either, I took it to a gunsmith, he added some meat to the lever, adjusted some things...worked fine for a while, then ofcourse it came back out...because this stirrup is just stamped metal in a bow confirguration that does bend around, especialy if your pushing it against the grip safety....

As an owner of two 1911s, personaly I think this weapon system is an antiquated POS that has so many inherent flaws in it, that it's not viable as combat weapon anymore...

It just so happens through, if you are into accuracy...it's about the best thing going these days...because it can be modified to shoot very well...

Welcome to a problem that I am having..

As an owner of two 1911s, personaly I think this weapon system is an antiquated POS that has so many inherent flaws in it, that it's not viable as combat weapon anymore...

And yet generations of combatants and highly knowledgable shooters still consider it the ultimate fighting handgun. There sure are a lot of experienced and highly stupid people out there, eh?

So rather than modifying the existing grip safety, would I be better off replacing it or replacing the trigger with one that fits closer to the safety or both?

Hmm, I'll have to borrow a mag from a buddy and check that. I always feel a little let down when I get lied to by a seller, my fault for not doing my homework I guess but I'm not a 1911 guy(or auto guy for that matter) and bought it on a whim. At least it wasn't expensive.

So, question number two, anyone know where to get Llama mags?

I have a llama 45 that works just fine with 1911 mags. The grip safety on mine works. If you depress the grip safety and release it the gun will still fire after it's released. If you don't want it what will you take for it ?

I have a llama 45 that works just fine with 1911 mags. The grip safety on mine works. If you depress the grip safety and release it the gun will still fire after it's released. If you don't want it what will you take for it ?

Maybe different years had mags that interchange? Mine didnt and it was made in 1978. Trying to find mags for it was a major pain so I ended up selling it. Since then I have seen them on gunbroker for about $30.00.

One thing I will say is that it was a very reliable gun and in the 5 years I owned it I had not a single problem with it.

I don't want to get rid of it, I just want to fix it. The grip safety may not be necessary but I like to have things work as they should. I've been wanting to try some gunsmithing, so this isn't a huge deal. So, anyone have a suggestion on the best way to fix it?

The best way to learn is too tear things apart. There is plenty of info on the web for help with 1911s. Wickata and pinkhammer on this sight are 1911 gurus also so maybe pm them if you run into problems.

My advice would be to take it to a gunsmith and get it working 100%. Then learn to take it apart and learn how the part interact. The beauty of the 1911 is that with the grips off, you can take off one piece at a time and watch the interactions of the different parts.

But you want the gun 100% by a professional before you try to learn how it works. Its a great idea to learn to gunsmith some of your own stuff. But learn how things function on working guns before you try to figure out how to fix broken ones.

My advice would be to take it to a gunsmith and get it working 100%. Then learn to take it apart and learn how the part interact. The beauty of the 1911 is that with the grips off, you can take off one piece at a time and watch the interactions of the different parts.

But you want the gun 100% by a professional before you try to learn how it works. Its a great idea to learn to gunsmith some of your own stuff. But learn how things function on working guns before you try to figure out how to fix broken ones.

Excellent advice but frankly, for what this gun is worth, I can't justify paying a smith to work on it. It's not something I'm relying on for carry, so I don't mind making a project out of it.

Can anyone recommend a book with some good detailed photos?

You're a bit far North for me, but if ya wanna make the trip...will get ya fixed up...no charge.

Can't guarantee anything, as I've not worked on that type of 4-legged critter! :D

If you take out the thumb safety, you'll be able to see into the guts a bit, and look at how the grip safety lug is working in relationship to the trigger bow.
If there's just a tad bit of clearance, one can peen out the metal, in effect lengthening it back out a bit to be able to refit it. Short of that, it'll need a new grip safety. But hate to make any quick notions of what's happening without being able to see it.

If ya want, PM me and I'll leave you my contact info. and we can discuss. A lot easier than typin thru the threads sometimes.

I think I'll break things down and see if I can see any obvious issues. I may be down your way in a few weeks, so if I can't figure it out I'll be sure to get a hold of you. Thanks so much for the offer, I'll send you a pm so I can call you if I get into trouble.

Again, Thank You.

1911s aren't easy, and I consider myself somewhat of an advanced tinkerer...

Your problem most likely is the trigger stirrup has bent forward, and doesn't engage the grip safety lever anymore...

First things first...you need to learn to take the 1911 down to it's frame..that unto its self is challenge at first.

Secondly you have to really understand, how the 1911 works..

Then you can bust out the priers, and dremmel tools..

Honestly, there are very few gunsmiths that really understand 1911s...I can point you in the right direction, but many just replace parts, or throw up their hands on certain models.....

I hope you like to tinker...welcome to the world of 1911s....

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top