JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As much as I love a good auto, esp my 1911, 99% of the time I use the S@W 442 as my everyday carry gun.
IMO, as handguns get smaller, revolvers get better and autos get worse.

They aren't everyone's favorite, I know, but I own several snubby revolvers and try to practice frequently.
I would like to score a G26 one day when I can handle the extra bulk and heft, but I'm still snubby guy and they get used the most.

desk gun 002.jpg

snubbies 008.jpg

Parker, I tend to agree with you. I just had mine at the range yesterday for some quick point and shoot drills and was really pleased with the accuracy. I feel good about this little gun to protect me and my space. This is one gun I will never get rid of... the glock 19 will go before this one. I see the snubby to be more suited to the type of assault I may need to fend off.

I have a problem being fast and accurate with the heavy double action revolver triggers I've used. I can be dead on with my Glock and most of my other autos so I stick with what works.

I've been debating the Ruger LCR but I think I want to fire one first.

IMO, as handguns get smaller, revolvers get better and autos get worse.

I'm curious why you say this. I feel that small autos have only gotten better. Look at Kahr's compact pistols like the PM9 or P380. Both have absolutely amazing reliablity records and both have a higher capacity than compact revolvers. These slim autos can also be carried easily in a pocket whereas a revolver cylinder tends to be too fat.

I'm definitely not saying a revolver isn't a solid defensive piece, I just think that modern compact autos keep improving.

I just think that modern compact autos keep improving.

I don't think he meant they get worse as time goes by, he meant the relative trade off of size/reliability. It's easier to make a small/tiny revolver function 100% than an auto.

I agree with you there are small/micro autos now that are light-years better than what we had to choose from just 15 years ago. That said, for me it's still a S&W 36 when I wanna get "small."

I learned to pistol shot with a single action, I fire my double actions the same way, after the shot, i cock the hammer with my thumb as i recover from the recoil. With a little pratice, it comes second nature. I do it without even thinking, I have to stop myself so I do NOT cock on the way down.

I don't think he meant they get worse as time goes by, he meant the relative trade off of size/reliability. It's easier to make a small/tiny revolver function 100% than an auto.

I agree with you there are small/micro autos now that are light-years better than what we had to choose from just 15 years ago. That said, for me it's still a S&W 36 when I wanna get "small."

Yes, exactly.
Autos have come a long ways and there are some attractive options to the small J frame revolver, but....

1) I don't care for .380, and I had a bunch.

2) 9mm from a short barrel doesn't offer anything over the .38sp comparing best loads, and the smallest nines like the Rohrbaugh and PM9 aren't well suited to hot 9 millie.

3) I wouldn't touch plastic Kahrs with a very long stick. (all due respect to those that like their P or PM9's):D

The slide weight, mag spring and recoil spring balance on micro autos is super critical, making them much more sensitive to grip imperfections vs a revolver- which never cares in that regard.
I also feel the revolver is much easier to grab than small micro autos, esp from a pocket holster, and I like heavy boolits like the 158gr loads a .38sp shoots, vs the 115 and 124gr boolits that tend to be preferred in the small 9's.
Sub comapacts like the XD9SC/G26/M@PC/Steyr S series..etc are a step up from a snubby, but also more bulky and heavy.

IMO.:peace:

2) 9mm from a short barrel doesn't offer anything over the .38sp comparing best loads, and the smallest nines like the Rohrbaugh and PM9 aren't well suited to hot 9 millie.

3) I wouldn't touch plastic Kahrs with a very long stick. (all due respect to those that like their P or PM9's):D

Fair enough, good sir, however I will correct you on the PM9 not handling hot 9mm loads. Even the factory states that the PM9 is rated for +P. Mine has been flawless and I'm sure others will attest to it's reliability. Don't judge them too harshly!

That said, I still want your Ruger in your first post. Nice weapon!

Fair enough, good sir, however I will correct you on the PM9 not handling hot 9mm loads. Even the factory states that the PM9 is rated for +P. Mine has been flawless and I'm sure others will attest to it's reliability. Don't judge them too harshly!

That said, I still want your Ruger in your first post. Nice weapon!

The PM9 is the ultimate pocket auto, if you get one without the frame rail or barrel peening issues. You're right, they are are rated for +P, but I wouldn't anticipate much service life unless you change them springs every 300 rounds.
I do think there's one guy on GT with 10K through his...so anythings possible. I'd like a K 9 Kahr if I could have one.:D

I don't think small revolvers are getting better, they have always been very good. If any thing the availability of good after market grips for them has helped. However Glocks, S&W M&P 9c/40c and Kahrs work for me also. Bill :)

I have always loved small revolvers for carry. My Colt Det. Spl. is my go to carry gun, however, I also carry my Colt 1911 often. Currently looking to get an SP101 for me to carry, so the wife can have the Colt for herself.

I do love the fact that revolvers go bang every time out of the gate. Especially for my wife, who does not shoot nearly as much as I would like her to. No jams, no nothing, just pull the trigger 6 times, reload and be ready to shoot again.

Every lightweight .38 Special snub I've fired has had too much kick. I'm referring to J-frames and the Ruger LCR. Just too light a gun for .38.

Shot .357 in a S&W 340PD and a Taurus 605 - a couple rounds out of each and I was done.

I put 25 rounds through my Ruger LCR, realized I'd never shoot several hundred to get proficient enough for concealed carry, and went back to a Glock.

It's easier to make a small/tiny revolver function 100% than an auto.

Revolvers aren't 100%. They solve some problems - no FTF/FTE, no limp wristing, etc. But they do have problems. If they cylinder can't turn, you get nothing. You can have problems reloading, with the extractor, etc. I agree that revolvers have fewer moving parts, and their problems tend to creep up (getting out of time is something you notice at the range) but they aren't 100%.

A snubby with a D/A trigger takes quite a bit of practice to shoot accurately.
Some call them expert guns. They work fine when you are up close and personal, but given anything further away, they are not for the casual shooter. Point and shoot guns for most folks. And I admit, I need more practice with mine.

Taurus 905 9mm with CT grips. With my old eyes, the laser helps for up close when you need to shoot fast.

Taurus-TF.jpg

As a civilian I think either a .38 or a .380 auto is fine for CCW. Tactically, I think you would be unwise to engage in long range gunfights with an armed opponent. At close range you only need to shoot, move to cover or withdraw from danger area. You have no obligation to defend others or engage in close quarter battle. Legally it would also be in your favor if you only did what was absolutely necessary to ensure your safety, which includes running away. All situations can be different of course and hopefully you don't find yourself in a situation where you wished you'd brought that 1911 and spare magazines...:(

I have a S&W 642 with the Crimson Trace lasergrips and while the wife likes to practice with the .22lr revolver, she manages the recoil of the 158 gr practice loads just fine. I think the laser helps some people but i still prefer lining up the sights anyway.

A snubby with a D/A trigger takes quite a bit of practice to shoot accurately.
Some call them expert guns. They work fine when you are up close and personal, but given anything further away, they are not for the casual shooter. Point and shoot guns for most folks. And I admit, I need more practice with mine.

Taurus 905 9mm with CT grips. With my old eyes, the laser helps for up close when you need to shoot fast.

Taurus-TF.jpg

Snubbies are intended for up close and personal. They never were meant to be target guns. If you try to shoot a bg further than a few feet away, your legal problems will be many. If you want something to target shoot, look for a revolver with a 6" or longer barrel. The snubbies work very well for their intended purpose.

Depends on the situation for me. If I'm just driving too and from work, I keep my DW CBOB in a Bianchi bag on the seat next to me. If I'm going to be out and about walking around and acutally carrying on my person I carry my SP101 3".

In fairness, part of the reason I don't carry my 1911 on my person more often is that I have yet to find a holster I like for it that is comfortable and doesn't print too badly. Hoping to solve that with a Milt Sparks Axiom that I have on order that I should receive in time for Christmas. A "form me, to me" present. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top