JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IMG_2085.JPG

Ok, I'm back. Haven't slept but the 12 pack I have in me should help.......

Do you guys really want me to to tell you how f-ing stupid you are??? (I'm just saying this as a generalization so if I offend you, tough poop. Your probably an idiot)

We've been here 13 yrss. We lived on the back side of Hagg Lake for 11 off em. WE'VE BEEN THROUGH SOME $h1T... My wife works at OHSU and has NEVER been involved in a weather related accident. She knows what it's gonna be like to get home. She knows when to chain up. She knows how to do it. This ain't her first rodeo...Her commute is (was) MUCH worse than mine, and probably yours. If she can do it so can you....

With that being said, take some personal responsibility. If they say it's gonna snow, (or freezing rain or whatever) get a f-ing grip and be prepared. Wake up an hour earlier and start your commute. CHAIN UP. If it doesnt happen, oh f-ing well. Deal with it. Make the news guys look like diks...if you dont, don't bubblegum at me when you can't get back to your warm house....that's YOUR f-ing fault, NOT mine....

I think the past weeks events and beer got the better of me. I'm too s-faced and tired to continue. I'm out. Good luck with the snow expected to fall tomorrow. Don't be stupid!

To add, my Ford has had more rust since moving to Oregon because of the dampness of the rain and weather than it ever has in Nevada in salt coated roads.
There is your answer!!! Moisture activates the electrolysis and is what causes the rust issues! Nevada doesn't have the moisture issues the rust belt States have, And Oregon will now join them! Let the rust and never ending electrical nightmares begin!!!

Please Lord, no SALT!

We have successfully resisted salt in Oregon, but looks as if the folks that would rather have the government take care of them instead of taking care of themselves have won. ODOT announced today they are now using salt, and Portland-DOT has said they will follow suit.

If ya don't like your car, or ya don't like my car, you will now get your way. Yuck.:confused:

WAYNO.:(

I wonder what the people are going to say when they have to replace their cars due to rust like they do back east and the midwest. Or expensive body and paint expense on a 5 year old car. I have a 25 year old Tempo with not one spot of rust and it is not garaged. If I took it back east and the midwest people would be looking at it as something from outer space, it would have been scrapped 10 or more likely 15 years ago due to rust. Have you ever heard of a car out here breaking in half or having large parts of the car falling off?

What you guys, AND the naysayers on TV, are not taking into consideration here is the fact that after we use some salt here in PDX, Eugene, Salem wherever, it will help the roads move for a day or two, then we will receive our normal copious amounts of fresh water falling from the sky, and wash it all away! Think about it, cities back East, Mid West, and Utah where I came from, have cold frozen weather for weeks, months, cars and bridges sit for weeks soaking in salt. There's a big difference between these other cities and PDX.

Regarding the enviro impacts, I don't really know, but I do know they feel it's okay to pour salt all over the Palmer Ice field up on Hood to keep skiers skiing into June.

This snow/ice event came on quick. It was light snow, below freezing, and the roads turned to ice within an hour or so from when it started. I don't really think we can expect all the people in PDX that just need to get home to be strapping on chains when they get off work for their 20 minute +/- commute. It makes a butt-load MORE sense for the city to throw a little salt in critical areas. Not that we wouldn't still have the dumb basses that don't take the weather seriously and go out when they should stay home.

Salting the roads now! Sheesh! Morons!

How about drivers in our area take personal responsibility for their driving and buy traction devices.

Like snow chains. We know it rains and snows here in Oregon. We know that sometimes we get freezing rain conditions. What is so hard to appreciate the need to have and use snow chains, on those two or three days a year when we need them?

Salting the roads is not the answer! Ask my perfectly good ex-upstate NY Subaru! the underside looks like a battle-bot, after 3 seasons of salting. I say no to salting of any kind! use corn syryp on the roads, use sand. Salts just really mess things up!

Speaking of "Personal Responsibility"? Wouldn't washing your car fall into that category too? Just sayin'. Here in PDX you are hard pressed to find a self car wash. In the Salt Lake Valley the car washes are everywhere! I'm assuming they are in NY too?

Speaking of "Personal Responsibility"? Wouldn't washing your car fall into that category too? Just sayin'. Here in PDX you are hard pressed to find a self car wash. In the Salt Lake Valley the car washes are everywhere! I'm assuming they are in NY too?

When we lived up in Tigard, there was a full service wash in town that was about as cheap as any coin-op I'd ever gone to. They even vaccumed for you. Nice. Dunno if they're still around.

To add.....I'm an accomplished driver is snow and ice. I cut my driving teeth spinning doughnuts, 180s/360s, chaining up, pushing 6" or more to get where I wanted to go in the snow. Driving long distances on highways seeing people losing it while I had what it takes to NOT join them. At this stage of my life I tend to stay out of those circumstances. I also don't believe I'm capable of getting down and chaining up my CRV.

To add.....I'm an accomplished driver is snow and ice. I cut my driving teeth spinning doughnuts, 180s/360s, chaining up, pushing 6" or more to get where I wanted to go in the snow. Driving long distances on highways seeing people losing it while I had what it takes to NOT join them. At this stage of my life I tend to stay out of those circumstances. I also don't believe I'm capable of getting down and chaining up my CRV.
You are my kind of guy!

To add...your a sensible driver! It's not rocket science.

Yesterday I saw a Jeep do a 360 on the 5 between Salem & Albany from about 500/600 yards back.

They were alright, then proceeded to pass everyone again...idiots!

Studded snow tires ALL FOUR CORNERS, or blizzax,whatever they're called. Chains aren't really necessary on most front drive cars let alone an AWD rig.
Get four extra wheels and a nice floor jack. And if needed a friend with a garage to swap them in.
Then the city needs to fine those folks that abandoned their cars the same amount as a new set of winter tires.

Studded snow tires ALL FOUR CORNERS, or blizzax,whatever they're called. Chains aren't really necessary on most front drive cars let alone an AWD rig.
Get four extra wheels and a nice floor jack. And if needed a friend with a garage to swap them in.
Then the city needs to fine those folks that abandoned their cars the same amount as a new set of winter tires.

Les Schwab does the swap over out here for free...& I haven't bought tires from them in 8 years...

I offered $20 tip, but they refused it, so I asked them to either donate it, or put it towards there store pizza fund...

You are my kind of guy!

Mid '70s, rear wheel drive cars, wide open parking lots. Ungated parking lots, at schools and many churches, being in the valley of the Mormons! Dad had a '64 Econoline van and a Toyota Corona. Right outa' high school I got my '63 Rambler Ambassador, with posi. Loved winter snows back then, not so much now.

Mid '70s, rear wheel drive cars, wide open parking lots. Ungated parking lots, at schools and many churches, being in the valley of the Mormons! Dad had a '64 Econoline van and a Toyota Corona. Right outa' high school I got my '63 Rambler Ambassador, with posi. Loved winter snows back then, not so much now.
Heck you can put studs all the way around on a RWD and make it fine

Heck you can put studs all the way around on a RWD and make it fine

I don't believe front wheel drive is better, for anything! My thinking is auto manufacturers just told people it was better for them, when it was actually better for the manufacturers. The drive train is all one little package and they set the body on top, and bolt it all up. No engine/tranny, no drive line and no differential to install desperately. Granted, if you chain up the front you got pull, but if you don't have chains and you let of the gas going down a slippery hill, engine compression will leave you without steering.

Well crap! Got up this morning and found my only decent snow/ice car with a completely flat tire! No time for this today. Managed to reinflate it and get up to Les Schwab, where, of course, there is huge line of people just NOW getting snow tires and chains put on! Really!? We're going to hit 40+ on Monday and this will all be gone. Sit your butts home and wait another day - otherwise those chains have to come back off Monday anyway.

Grumble grumble grumble :mad::mad::mad:. Time for some breakfast popcorn I guess o_O

Last Edited:
I don't believe front wheel drive is better, for anything! My thinking is auto manufacturers just told people it was better for them, when it was actually better for the manufacturers. The drive train is all one little package and they set the body on top, and bolt it all up. No engine/tranny, no drive line and no differential to install desperately. Granted, if you chain up the front you got pull, but if you don't have chains and you let of the gas going down a slippery hill, engine compression will leave you without steering.

The engine weight sitting on front wheel drive cars is the difference. That's why people put sand bags in the trunk of Rwd cars and beds of Rwd pickups.

I learned on a '71 VW van, a '69 Pontiac Bonneville and a '78 Datsun 200sx. All great cars to learn snow and ice driving - makes front wheel drive and 4WD vehicles a breeze!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top