JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What's wrong with salt? Environmental? Or rust worries?

They used salt in Nevada since as long as I lived there, since birth for those counting, I didn't see any rust on my car from it. Not sure about environmental issues though so if that's the factor than please educate this ignorant bastard.

Salt rusts everything!

Vehicles, infrastructure, below-grade pipes, bridges, overpasses, re-bar, any ground-level perforation of electrical or fluid conduit that's made with steel. It doesn't end.

Modern cars are better coated than cars of the past, so that's why the auto manufacturers brag about their now-longer rust-thru warranties. But ya get a scratch thru the paint, and like cancer, salt will destroy it.

I have been a mechanic of some kind all my life. When I was an auto mechanic, we always knew when a car was from a salt state. Every hidden nook in the frame or body of any car had rust. Rust never stops. Brake fittings, exhaust, trim fasteners, it never ends. They all rot. Modern cars will just take a little longer to do so.

Although not related to road salt, boat trailers that are used on the coast have a very short life. Dunked in salt water, no chance of rinsing all the salt out, and eventually the trailer will fail.

Salt is another issue where polarization occurs between generations. Old folks like me hate it. Young folks of the disposable generation, love it.

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
upload_2016-12-16_17-1-6.jpeg

Salt rusts everything!

Vehicles, infrastructure, below-grade pipes, bridges, overpasses, re-bar, any ground-level perforation of electrical or fluid conduit that's made with steel. It doesn't end.

Modern cars are better coated than cars of the past, so that's why the auto manufacturers brag about their now-longer rust-thru warranties. But ya get a scratch thru the paint, and like cancer, salt will destroy it.

I have been a mechanic of some kind all my life. When I was an auto mechanic, we always knew when a car was from a salt state. Every hidden nook in the frame or body of any car had rust. Rust never stops. Brake fittings, exhaust, trim fasteners, it never ends. They all rot. Modern cars will just take a little longer to do so.

Although not related to road salt, boat trailers that are used on the coast have a very short life. Dunked in salt water, no chance of rinsing all the salt out, and eventually the trailer will fail.

Salt is another issue where polarization occurs between generations. Old folks like me hate it. Young folks of the disposable generation, including relationships and automobiles, love it.

WAYNO.
Don't really hate it our love it, just lived my whole life with it and never saw it being that big of a deal. My dad had an old Chevy for something like 30 years in Nevada. Never saw a spot of rust on it. Pulled the motor and tranny a couple of times too.

So if rust is the primary issue that's kind of interesting.

I though Oregon didn't want to use salt for environment issues.

To add, my Ford has had more rust since moving to Oregon because of the dampness of the rain and weather than it ever has in Nevada in salt coated roads.

To add, my Ford has had more rust since moving to Oregon because of the dampness of the rain and weather than it ever has in Nevada in salt coated roads.

Maybe the Nevada salt is finally showing its effects.

I suppose anybody can cite any example or statistic they want to support their position. Just like I did. I will remain entrenched in the anti-salt crowd.

the two or three snow "storms" we get each year, it's pretty simple - just take your car through a car wash that sprays underneath. Do it right after the snow melts and then again a week later.

I'd rather have the salt than the loss of property and potential loss of life. If I lived again in snow country where salt was used frequently I'd hit the car wash once a week.

That lame crap de-icer they put down on our roads a couple days ago had just enough grunt to melt the snow so it could immediately turn into ice. While I was moving a couple of feet every five minutes, a lady walked past us carrying an infant. It was bitter cold, windy, and slick as hell so she had to abandon her car due to that gross negligence. Fortunately, she was close to a still open Carl's and didn't need any assistance. Salt or nothing at all and everything would have been far better.

I wonder what the people are going to say when they have to replace their cars due to rust like they do back east and the midwest. Or expensive body and paint expense on a 5 year old car. I have a 25 year old Tempo with not one spot of rust and it is not garaged. If I took it back east and the midwest people would be looking at it as something from outer space, it would have been scrapped 10 or more likely 15 years ago due to rust. Have you ever heard of a car out here breaking in half or having large parts of the car falling off?

Pure calcium chloride is added to water and pumped into the tubes of tractor tires for added weight and freeze protection.
One small leak and in no time at all the wheel is rusted beyond repair.
Just handling that crap ruins your hands and everyone hated going out on field repairs when I was in the tire business.

Doesn't ODOT use magnesium chloride for the de-icer? That sticky crap is everywhere on my rig now and it is also corrosive.

I saw some fool in the snow dragging his arse end around in his new Beetle car with grim determination.. spinning the front tires like crazy and kinda going a little bit here and there.. like a retard. Pretty funny.
I walked over and told him to release the handbrake. end of story
Oh, and keep the salt in the damn kitchen where it belongs.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top