JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Portland area gets such a small amount of snow each year maybe 2 or 3 times as year. That's probably why people don't go out and buy snow tires or even carry chains for that matter. But the way the cars were sliding to the side of the road like I witnessed tonight I would not like to be on the side of the road putting chains on and get crushed.
Driving technique has a bit to be desired in portlandia:p

She is creeping her way towards 26. My daughter called and said she talked with a police officer in West Linn. He said they were shoving abandoned vehicles out of the roads with their cruisers.
People just tick me off. Heaven forbid we get hit with a real disaster, these fools wont survive the first day.

And all those people that abandoned their cars were crying all the way home because the evil snow offended them and they needed a safe space to curl up & suck their thumbs....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well I sure feel for you guys & gals down there in Oregun, I really do. When it hits up here (if it does) I'm gonna sit here all nice and cuddly in a 74 degree shop (because I have no particular place to go) drink a hot cup o Joe and watch my brass tumble & listen to ROCK N ROLL...:D
Keep calm and carry on.;)

And all those people that abandoned their cars were crying all the way home because the evil snow offended them and they needed a safe space to curl up & suck their thumbs....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Any bets on how many of those folks would like to see a "do over" on the Presidential Election...........I mean "everyone" deserves a trophy....right?

Man, I wish I would have pulled out my smartphone and videoed that Suv Sliding into the other SUV Sliding into the pile up of cars it was one of those gasping moments watching it. That was the 2nd craziest car crash I have ever seen. The first one being the rolled semi in the Terwilliger curves with 5 really messed up cars and life flight landing in the middle of it.

Just watching those cars/SUV's pinball off each other makes me cringe. At what point do these people see this taking place and say to themselves "I think I will stay home", or call a taxi or better yet Uber. :rolleyes:

I guess we shouldn't be too surprised about the results this kind of weather has on the traffic. We rarely get these events, so most folks simply don't have the experience. The only ones around here with experience are likely to be transplants from snow states or those that do a lot of skiing - that's where I learned to drive in the snow - up and down Mt Hood for years - often with old rear wheel drive cars.

I left early for work today - I've got some customer meetings that can't wait, and because they're with hospitals, there is exactly zero chance of them being cancelled due to weather. So, I dumped the company Focus and took the Suzuki XL-7 in today. That's my snow car - 4WD and no chains (though I do carry chains) and I got off the hill in Oregon City down to SE PDX with little issues. I have to say that Suzuki is a really nice car in snow - handles really well, great visibility to see the morons driving around me. I hit a few slick spots here and there, but mostly packed snow. Just took things slow and deliberate, no sudden lane changes or sharp turns and it all went well, just about 15 minutes later than normal.

I saw a lot of abandoned vehicles on the roads, especially on hills and on-ramps. And I was surprised to see how much traffic there was on the roads at 4:30am - must have been all the folks that wanted to get in early and avoid the later rush hour mess.

I hope, really hope, the folks with no experience in this stuff just stay home today and let the rest of us do our jobs and go home.

Last Edited:
I was just talking to the wifey about the Subaru and we came to the conclusion if everyone in the PDX area drove one, we wouldn't have these sorts of problems...or at least they would be at a minimum.

I left work early and am thankful because I sure wouldn't want to be our there with the retards and their Camaros/Mustangs/Magnums/Ricers, etc with crap summer tires.

All of this should be indicative of the mindset of the masses...and that being NOT PREPARED for any sort of abnormality.

Back in Broadcasting School, we were taught: "The public is an idiot."
The prosecution... rests.
While I don't disagree, that is an interesting statement considering the way the media uses to emotion the herd the masses sheeople into certain behavior patterns. I just never heard/read anyone who's been there, say/admit that.

I was just talking to the wifey about the Subaru and we came to the conclusion if everyone in the PDX area drove one, we wouldn't have these sorts of problems...or at least they would be at a minimum.

I left work early and am thankful because I sure wouldn't want to be our there with the retards and their Camaros/Mustangs/Magnums/Ricers, etc with crap summer tires.

All of this should be indicative of the mindset of the masses...and that being NOT PREPARED for any sort of abnormality.

I passed 3 abandoned Subaru's on the way to work today. Having the right gear is no substitute for lack of skill using that gear.

I passed 3 abandoned Subaru's on the way to work today. Having the right gear is no replacement for lack of skill using that gear.
Well that is disturbing. I've driven on black ice at night in Idaho at 50+mph and didn't recognize I was until the car wiggled a bit, and I pulled over the physically touch the road and found is slippery as heck. I had a fresh set of Blizzaks though.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top