JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am in the market for a 1911 in 9mm. I have credit with an internet gun shop. And have the opportunity to purchase a S&W 1911 pro 9mm at cost. I have not handled one. And I wounder how they compare to other 1911's in general? And more specifically compared to the Dan Wesson Pointman 9.

sw1911-9mm3.jpg

They have a warranty.:s0155:

The Smith & Wesson Advantage™
In addition to providing some of the highest quality products available today, Smith & Wesson is committed to providing our customers with support and services second to none. When you purchase a Smith & Wesson handgun, you receive the Smith & Wesson Advantage™, comprised of four service features:

1. Lifetime Service Policy

We will repair any defect in material or workmanship without charge to the original purchaser for as long as you own the handgun.

I love the S&W M&P series and the third generation autos, but S&W makes 1911 shaped objects that deviate from the standard in too many respects to be called proper 1911s.

I'd hold out for the Dan Wesson myself.

I keep trying to replace my S&W 1911, but can't seem to do it. I have had DW, Kimber, RIA, Colt, and Para. Every time I get something I think I will like better than my S&W, it turns out my S&W wins out. Granted, mine is in .45 not 9mm. I don't think you'll go wrong with the S&W 1911's...

I keep trying to replace my S&W 1911, but can't seem to do it. I have had DW, Kimber, RIA, Colt, and Para. Every time I get something I think I will like better than my S&W, it turns out my S&W wins out. Granted, mine is in .45 not 9mm. I don't think you'll go wrong with the S&W 1911's...
Are their specifics about your S&W you like? Or is it just the overall appearance and personality? How does the fit and finish compare to the the other 1911's you have owned?

I am not a fan of 1911's in 9mm. 1911's were designed around the physical characteristics of the 45 ACP and there have been difficulties getting reliable performance with the 9mm. They will generally work with the 9mm, just not something I would be comfortable with if I had to depend on it. Why take a chance, get it in 45 and don't worry about it.

Are their specifics about your S&W you like? Or is it just the overall appearance and personality? How does the fit and finish compare to the the other 1911's you have owned?

I like the satin stainless finish. I don't mind the external extractor, it has yet to fail me. The fit and finish are at least on par with the other guns I owned. The finish is hard to screw up as its just bead blasted stainless with blued (black) accents. I ended up buying it over the blackened stainless Springfield because it already had everything I wanted without needing any work.

I am not a fan of 1911's in 9mm. 1911's were designed around the physical characteristics of the 45 ACP and there have been difficulties getting reliable performance with the 9mm. They will generally work with the 9mm, just not something I would be comfortable with if I had to depend on it. Why take a chance, get it in 45 and don't worry about it.
I am aware of the possible issues with 9mm in the 1911. It's not an issue for me. My purchase will be used primarily as a range toy. Don't get me wrong, I love .45. But 9mm in a 1911 is tons of fun to shoot. And thanks to Walmart and Bi-Mart I can afford alot more play time with a 9 than I can with a .45.:s0155:

Looking at the pic in the OP, I think that is a beautiful gun. Nice piece of art. :s0155:

Other than that I have no experience with them, but I do love a a gun that looks like that. Can't argue with the cost of shooting it either for a range gun.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top