JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,

I am looking for a small but secure handgun safe to deposit one or two handguns, some ammo, and maybe some small valuables. So, bigger than a gun box, but smaller than a full-sized safe.

I have been using Stack-On gun boxes so far, but there are some reports out there that show how easily they can be opened, sometimes by just dropping the thing on the floor. I have a small kid in the house, who's growing up fast, so that's a consideration too.

Are any of these "home safes" adequate? Home Safes - The Safe Place Or does anyone have a good recommendation? I can spend a few hundred dollars on this, and size (especially footprint) is a factor.

Based on personal experience I would say get a safe with a simplex pushbutton lock - not one that needs batteries. Fort Knox seems to be introducing some new larger sizes that might work for what you are asking about.

Be careful with home safes or document type safes - I realize they're tempting to purchase for use with firearms because they're affordable and abundant at hardware stores or other box stores. Reason is most/many home type safes consist of concrete filler to act as a fire barrier to protect documents buying time for firefighters to contain and extinguish the fire

Concrete hydrates during the curing process and can take, under ideal conditions, up to 50 years to fully cure or hydrate. This means any firearm sealed or enclosed in a locked home type safe surrounded by hydrating concrete can potentially rust from the concrete's microclimate.

Typically a specific safe designed for firearms uses other media, other than concrete, to protect precious metals or firearms. So make sure you do your due diligence on the composition of the safe before you purchase. Many home safe specifically state "not meant for firearms."

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews