JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I wanted to share a couple of simple recipes of ours. They are cheap, have few ingredients, and are easy to make. Neither one requires any more than a pot and heat/fire to cook. In my mind that makes them ideal for prepping.

If anyone else has recipes or ideas, please add to the thread!

CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP

BASE INGREDIENTS:

Cooked Chicken, cut into large chunks (we usually boil the meat with onions). Breast meat is good but dark meat will also work.
We usually use boneless, skinless Breast Meat – between 1 and two whole breasts, depending on how much you like in the soup. I would think it would be very easy to sub Dehydrated, Freeze-Dried Chicken, or Chicken TVP.
1 Large can (Family Size) of Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
3 Small cans of regular Chicken Broth (not the no-salt kind, YUCK)
Extra-Wide Egg Noodles

OPTIONAL ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS, TO ADD FLAVOR AND BODY:

Celery, chopped into small chunks
Carrots, chopped into small chunks
Onion, chopped into small chunks
Fresh Garlic (2 cloves), chopped into small chunks OR
Garlic Powder (don’t use garlic Salt, can make too salty)
Salt and Pepper, use a little at a time to get the desired flavor
Add water if needed to create more volume, a little at a time.

DIRECTIONS:

Put Condensed Soup and Chicken Broth into a large pot or a slow cooker. Turn on high until it gets good and hot (not to a boil), then reduce to medium or medium-low.

Add Chicken Chunks and any other ingredients you choose to use. Let the soup simmer, stirring occasionally, for one to two hours. You may need to turn the heat down just a little. You do not want it to get hot enough to boil.

About one hour before serving, boil the egg noodles just until tender. Drain the noodles and then add to the soup. Continue to gently stir occasionally until ready to serve.

And my favorite............

VEGETABLE SOUP

INGREDIENTS:
1 can of V8 (excellent as a base for your soup!!!)
1 can each of peas, corn, and green beans.
Dash of salt and pepper to taste

OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS:
Any variation of ground beef or other meats to your liking, Hot sauce (to taste), Onion and garlic (fresh, dried, or powder), potatoes, carrots, etc...

DIRECTIONS:
Pour can of V8 into a pot and make hot, but not boiling. Add vegetables and any other ingredients you wish. If using dried vegetables you might want to re-hydrate prior to adding. Season to taste.

Both of these soups taste great!

other easy 1 pot recipes I like:

Veggie Chili (you can add meat if you like)
1-2 yellow onions chopped
1-2 bell peppers chopped
5-10 cloves of garlic chopped
5-10 carrots chopped
whatever other veggies you have laying around you need to use (corn, squash, celery)
2-3 TB olive oil or cooking oil for sauteeing veggies
4-8 cans of diced tomatoes (I usually do half plain and half with chiles)
4-8 cans of whatever beans you like (or equivalent in dried beans about 2-3 cups dry- pre-soaked)
*I usually use pinto, garbanzo, kidney and butter beans (large lima)
2-4 TB of chili powder
2-4 tsp of basil
1-2 tsp of oregano
2-4 TB of sugar
2-4 tsp salt
1-2 tsp pepper

All the ingredients listed I gave 2 numbers: half batch or full batch. The full batch is A LOT so use this only if it is a big group of people (like 10+) or you have a method of preserving the chili such as canning, fridge, freezing etc.

easy enough to prepare, first sautee onions, garlic, carrots, peppers in that order for about 20 mins or so until a little tender.
Then add all your cans undrained. then add the spices. simmer for 1-2 hours (longer if using pre-soaked uncooked dry beans. Dry beans should be pre-soaked for 24 hours, or pressure cooked or slow cooked FIRST. otherwise this takes forever)

I always get compliments on this, and it is not too spicy for kids or weenies. Heat lovers can add some hot sauce.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top