JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IMG_2055.JPG

We have a Christmas chair instead of a Christmas tree. The grandkids think it's a hoot as long as there are plenty of gifts :)

Last Edited:
Our tradition used to be chinese food on Xmas eve but that went away when we all moved from Gresham.

Our family has been so messed up the last couple years we've tried to make it a tradition to avoid family.

My birthday is in early December,and my Mom always waited til after then to get a tree..I guess to make a distinction.
Apparently I'm a bit narcissistic-I constantly have to remind my wife of the fact that the day after Thanksgiving isn't the correct time to get a tree.We MUST wait until after my B-day.
Even more narcissistic-I really think my birthday should qualify as a National holiday.

Silly traditions that continue: helping the wife put up the tree and decorate it.
Silly traditions that have been discontinued: putting up Christmas house & yard lights. Only the pagans on our street put up outdoor Christmas lights.

It may have something to do with the fact that since the kids grew up and started their own families, that we started a great new tradition. Rent a cabin at Mt Hood and pay for the lift tickets. Amazingly enough, all the kids and grandkids show up! I restart the fire every morning and keep it going. The women take turns cooking all the meals. The adults and kids trade off so everyone gets some time on the slopes, hiking or sledding, etc. And the youngest ones inevitably want to put on a 'play' for the adults. Good times.

My family has a grabbag/white elephant, and theres a 30yr old tin of cheereos (cereal) its smells funny but isnt moldy or rotten. My father passed away a few years back and I dont go to family gatherings anymore. (Long story short My mom is dating one of my dads friends and I think they are scumbags for that).
So I started a new tradition by NOT going to my families gathering. ITS AWESOME!!

My birthday is in early December,and my Mom always waited til after then to get a tree..I guess to make a distinction.
Apparently I'm a bit narcissistic-I constantly have to remind my wife of the fact that the day after Thanksgiving isn't the correct time to get a tree.We MUST wait until after my B-day.
Even more narcissistic-I really think my birthday should qualify as a National holiday.

Thank you! Somebody else sees it that way.

My bday is the 12th and the RULE IS... NO TREE until after my birthday.

No more family xmas for me either... I've kicked em all to the curb. My little bro has little kids now so I encourage my parents to spend it with them.

We always watch National Lampoons Christmas Vacation right after dinner. If on the off chance we do have someone over it chases the stuffy people away. And yes, I laugh at all of the same parts every year (I think the kid is getting tired of it but it was never her style of humor anyway:D).

I had a few traditions, but with the passing of my grandma a month ago most of them went with her. I guess it's time to make some of my own. :oops:

image.jpeg Most traditions from when I was a kid have found themselves morphed into my own family traditions...

The day after Thanksgiving the tree is put up and the house is decorated, inside and out.

The kids write their Christmas Lists and place them in their stockings, they disappear overnight and are replaced by a candy cane, so they know Santa got them.

There's the annual picture with Santa and the shadow box type Advent Calander that contains daily treats for the kids. we attend the Nutcracker as a family...

Letters to Santa in the stocking and picked up by the elves who leave candy canes behind...

Christmas Eve dinner consists of a one pan dinner, think something along the lines of lasagna or a stew... We attend a late mass celebrating Christmas. Then back home and the Kids are off to bed at a reasonable time. Need to ensure Santa has time to assemble, wrap and place the presents by the tree, stuff the stockings, and leave a note by the cookies and milk signed by Mr. C himself...

Christmas morning is an international Christmas blend... Bacon & egg muffins, raspberry and blueberry muffins, boiled eggs, Panatone and homemade hot cholocate that the wife makes with cinnamon sticks and whole cloves (a Peruvian family recipe). Kids are usually tearing into the presents while the adults fill their faces...

Assorted snacking thoughout the day, followed by our big Christmas dinner, it's prime rib, rosemary oven roasted potatoes, candied yams, squash, almond green beans, fresh baked rolls and homemade pumpkin pie. I do all the cooking and let my wife spend time with the family...

Christmas is a big deal in my house, it's a blended celebration of the greatest gift ever given, our Lord, family and loved ones. We keep the Lord at the center of our Christmas, and share that with our family and loved ones...

That's probably more than you wanted to know, but that's what Christmas is like for us...

I have always put the star on the top of the tree for as long as I can remember.

No matter if I put up a single decoration anywhere in the house, my lady and girl know that I'll be putting the star on.

My grandfather (the one who started me shooting at 4) made a pair of basic stars out of wood and a couple electrical staples when I was young and gave on to my family and one to my cousin.

Over the years they deteriorated and at 18 I mentioned it and ask for another one. He didn't recall the first one but I described it and he made an even nicer one for me the next Christmas when I got married.

He died a yearish later right after my daughter was born and other then the only 2 pistols he owned and left me, that star is my only other prized posession that was given to me by him and is packed like it is brittle glass every year when the decorations come down.

He did do a hallmark series of decorations for me for quite a few years but that ended at 20 when he died and I haven't bought another one for myself since then.

I have always put the star on the top of the tree for as long as I can remember.

No matter if I put up a single decoration anywhere in the house, my lady and girl know that I'll be putting the star on.

My grandfather (the one who started me shooting at 4) made a pair of basic stars out of wood and a couple electrical staples when I was young and gave on to my family and one to my cousin.

Over the years they deteriorated and at 18 I mentioned it and ask for another one. He didn't recall the first one but I described it and he made an even nicer one for me the next Christmas when I got married.

He died a yearish later right after my daughter was born and other then the only 2 pistols he owned and left me, that star is my only other prized posession that was given to me by him and is packed like it is brittle glass every year when the decorations come down.

He did do a hallmark series of decorations for me for quite a few years but that ended at 20 when he died and I haven't bought another one for myself since then.
You got a pretty special heirloom and tradition there... To be able to pass that down to your children... It's a celebration of Christmas and your grandfathers memory... What a wonderful memory to have...

My son is just now getting old enough to have a good grasp on Christmas more than just the gift getting part (tho, that's still the biggest thing to him) - this year he did a lot of the tree decorating. He put the topper on it for the first time this year too, so maybe some things I did as a kid he can be shown and do.

Save for one year when I was given two pre-cut trees as a tip from a customer, we've always gone and cut a tree at a U-cut farm. We did that this year, and for the 2nd year in a row we've gone to Parry's near Forest Grove and spent an hour trying to find the right tree.

Every year since my kid was born, I make a fresh cut on the tree bottom, and that round gets turned into an ornament to adorn the tree. Nothing fancy - I put our family name and our first names on it, hit it with a few coats of spray on varnish, drill a hole and thread in a piece of ribbon or paracord to hang it with.

The last few years we've skipped big family get togethers on my side of the family on Christmas day in lieu of staying at home on Christmas, and doing the family thing sometime before the 25th. It started because it's always a hectic time of year, and there's precious little alone time with out little family unit anyway. My wife shares only one day a week off with me - and the kid is in school this year - so we just don't see a lot of each other as a family unit. On her working days, my wife is out of the house before the boy and I are up. He's off to school by 8:30. They're usually in bed when I get home from work. So we spend Christmas at home, not rushing about and dealing with others. Mama makes cinnamon rolls to snack on. Kiddo opens presents, we play with kiddo and said presents. Mama makes a platter of assorted cheeses, meats, and veggies to snack on for lunch. Sometime in the afternoon I start cooking dinner.

My wife likes to get the kid a brand new set of jammies and have him wear them on Christmas eve, her parents always did that for her and her brother growing up, so she carries that one on.

We also stopped going to Christmas day family get togethers also to avoid the traditional Christmas family argument - been years since the cops were called, but that just means like the San Andreas fault - we're due for the big one sooner rather than later. My family is dysfunctional as they come, and almost every gathering winds up with someone pissed off, someone screaming at someone else, someone crying, and the rest trying to either play peacemaker, or GTFO before the cops get called, breakables get broken, or we get dragged into the drama. Since certain family members died, the big gatherings turned into smaller gatherings and lots of people with butt-hurt feelings over not being invited to dinner or what have you.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top