Silencerco SS sparrow.WOW

Reactions
So after a really long wait I finally got my form 4 approved. took the silencerco SS sparrow our for the weekend and put 1000 rds through it. All I can say is "take your earplugs out so that you can enjoy it"
cleaning it was another matter. I First tried the regular solvents, IE hopps #9. that did nothing , then I found out that vinegar eats lead, So I soaked the parts in straight white vinegar, which loosened the lead. 15 min later and the silencer looked new inside.

So i just took it apart for the second time, however, I coated the internals with TC Bore Butter after cleaning it the first time. Wow. the build-up just fell off. Hats off to the guys at silencerco for a great design and a silencer that will outlast me.

I fully plan to put 52,000 rounds per year down the hole of this baby. Being solid Stainless I doubt that I will have any problems, will keep you guys posted.

Reactions
I First tried the regular solvents, IE hopps #9. that did nothing , then I found out that vinegar eats lead, So I soaked the parts in straight white vinegar, which loosened the lead. 15 min later and the silencer looked new inside.

So i just took it apart for the second time, however, I coated the internals with TC Bore Butter after cleaning it the first time. Wow.
Kind of interesting, that straight vinegar loosened the lead. BTW, congrats on the can. :)

OP
N
Reactions
Just be aware that the vinegar turns the lead into lead acetate (colourless white solid with a slight odour of ethanoic acid) which is NASTY STUFF!!! so do that outside and with gloves on! I would also be careful as I know it does not do anything to stainless steel, but no idea on other metals. Also now I have to take the TC Bore butter off before the vinegar dip. Im using a soak in non-chlorinated brake cleaner for that.

Reactions
For those in Kitsap County = I checked with Kitsap County Hazardous Management on Saturday and they do accept lead acetate for disposal.

Reactions
No need to boil them. A little heat does help, tho. Put the solution and item to be cleaned in a glass jar, set it on your bench and put a lamp next to it so the heat from the light bulb warms the solution.
Use an incandescent bulb, not a crappy Al Gore CFL bulb. You'll get more heat and be able to see what you're doing.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Rimfire Challenge Feb 13th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Project Appleseed
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• A Cut Above Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    My Go To For FTF Transfers and The only FFL I ship to.
    I use a Cut Above for Everything firearm related. I'm in there for something at least weekly. The team is great and the prices are great. You...
  • A Cut Above Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    They make transfers very easy
    My preferred place for transfers. The staff has always been very friendly. Even with the background checks sometimes taking forever, they are...
  • A Cut Above Pawn
    1.00 star(s)
    met a member to sell a gun
    worst experience I have ever had treated as tho i was stealing from them have you ever met someone and with that initial moment you know there's...
  • Gator's Custom Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome store
    been shopping here for years now, so has my grandfather. they provide excellent services
  • HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Vendor
    I have not been to the shop yet but have purchased from him online, and all I can say is PERFECT! You could not ask for a nicer, more helpful guy...
Top Bottom