Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Silencerco SS sparrow.WOW

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by nforest, Jul 16, 2011.

1. nforest

nforest Eugene, OR & Costa Rica Active Member

So after a really long wait I finally got my form 4 approved. took the silencerco SS sparrow our for the weekend and put 1000 rds through it. All I can say is "take your earplugs out so that you can enjoy it"
    cleaning it was another matter. I First tried the regular solvents, IE hopps #9. that did nothing , then I found out that vinegar eats lead, So I soaked the parts in straight white vinegar, which loosened the lead. 15 min later and the silencer looked new inside.

So i just took it apart for the second time, however, I coated the internals with TC Bore Butter after cleaning it the first time. Wow. the build-up just fell off. Hats off to the guys at silencerco for a great design and a silencer that will outlast me.

I fully plan to put 52,000 rounds per year down the hole of this baby. Being solid Stainless I doubt that I will have any problems, will keep you guys posted.

2. coyote223

coyote223 NW Oregon Stamp Collector,,,

Kind of interesting, that straight vinegar loosened the lead. BTW, congrats on the can. :)

3. TapRackNGo

TapRackNGo PNW Well-Known Member

I plan on purchasing a sparrow when it comes time to by a .22 suppressor.

4. nforest

Just be aware that the vinegar turns the lead into lead acetate (colourless white solid with a slight odour of ethanoic acid) which is NASTY STUFF!!! so do that outside and with gloves on! I would also be careful as I know it does not do anything to stainless steel, but no idea on other metals. Also now I have to take the TC Bore butter off before the vinegar dip. Im using a soak in non-chlorinated brake cleaner for that.

5. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

For those in Kitsap County = I checked with Kitsap County Hazardous Management on Saturday and they do accept lead acetate for disposal.

6. nforest

UPDATE: Mix the vinegar 50/50 with Hydrogen peroxide to dissolve the lead (only known to be safe with Stainless steel)

7. dj_fatstyles

dj_fatstyles renton New Member

and titanium

8. nforest

anyone a chemist? What if i mix them together and then boil them? Who will let me come over and use their stove? :)

9. Abiqua

Abiqua Oregon Active Member

No need to boil them. A little heat does help, tho. Put the solution and item to be cleaned in a glass jar, set it on your bench and put a lamp next to it so the heat from the light bulb warms the solution.
    Use an incandescent bulb, not a crappy Al Gore CFL bulb. You'll get more heat and be able to see what you're doing.