JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know a lot of police are very interested in this law as well. I heard on OPB radio at least one police chief considers them almost necessary safety equipment to protect officers' hearing and reduce the risk of a meth lab explosion when they do their tacticool ninja entries as the muzzle flash has the potential to ignite the lab. He would love to get this bill passed to protect the lives and health of his officers. You might try contacting your local police departments and urging them to write to their representatives too. A police chief's opinion could be worth a lot.

After I wrote letters requesting silencer crime data, I wrote some letters asking for the personal opinions of the sheriffs. Most did not answer; three did with one opposing their use by civilians. I wrote to two police organizations instead as Representative Pedersen wanted their opinions. WASPC and WACOPS are the two largest police organizations in the state. I wrote to them and sent them copies of my silencer education DVD's. WASPC decided to take a neutral position and WACOPS supports the bill. They also sent a Rep to the hearing where he spoke out very well for the bill.

Ranb

I think so too. Words can not describe how happy I was when WACOPS wrote to me to say they were supporting the bill. I had kept after WACOPS and WASPC for months encouraging them to take a position. I also contacted Cease Fire Washington and they said they would take a neutral position also. But I never recieived their position in writing. CF WA said they sent a letter in the mail and told me a few times they would e-mail me, but nothing so far.

Ranb

It went well as far as we can tell. Have to await results of the executive hearing to see if they send it to the Rules committee then on to the Senate floor for a vote. The only Senator I know of that will not support the bill is Roach and she seemed to be ok with the bill now. Still not sure what Senator Kline thinks of it though.

Check out the thread on bill 5112. http://www.northwestfirearms.com/nfa-weapons/48230-wa-silencer-use-bill-senate-hearing.html

Ranb

Suspension calendar is for bills that have little or no opposition.
This is a good thing not "the brakes" at all.
It will get read and passed no problem in the House.
The senate is where I'm worried about having a hiccup!

Suspension calendar is for bills that have little or no opposition.
This is a good thing not "the brakes" at all.
It will get read and passed no problem in the House.
The senate is where I'm worried about having a hiccup!

Thats my understanding.

Thanks for the answer. I was a little worried about that when I read it was on suspension calender. Definately worried with the senate and Senator Kline for certain. But also more worried about the Governor not signing it.

Although Kline was not present for the public hearing I don't think he opposes the bill.
Roach stated opposition in the past, but seems sympathetic after the public hearing.
If you are in Kline's district PLEASE call his office and ask where he stands on the bill.
If he is in opposition write a letter to encourage him.

Since the bills have been in committee, my letters/e-mails to the committee members have been of the encouraging type and thanking them for hearing the bill so soon in the session. I also tell them I can readily supply them with any information they need to help make a decision.

Ranb

Although Kline was not present for the public hearing I don't think he opposes the bill.
Roach stated opposition in the past, but seems sympathetic after the public hearing.
If you are in Kline's district PLEASE call his office and ask where he stands on the bill.
If he is in opposition write a letter to encourage him.
This.

It would be interesting if he opposes it. His track record is such that he is very much against offroad vehicle use, one of his justifications being noise pollution. It would be pretty hypocritical for him to oppose firearm noise suppressors if he is that concerned about noise pollution...

House bill 1016 passed a vote on the House floor.

HB 1016
Firearm noise suppressors
House vote on Final Passage
2/7/2011

Yeas: 88 Nays: 4 Absent: 0 Excused: 6

Voting Yea: Representatives Ahern, Alexander, Angel, Armstrong, Asay, Bailey, Billig, Blake, Buys, Carlyle, Chandler, Clibborn, Cody, Condotta, Crouse, Dahlquist, Dammeier, DeBolt, Dickerson, Dunshee, Fagan, Finn, Fitzgibbon, Frockt, Goodman, Green, Haigh, Haler, Hargrove, Harris, Hasegawa, Hinkle, Hope, Hunt, Hurst, Jacks, Jinkins, Johnson, Kagi, Kelley, Kenney, Kirby, Klippert, Kretz, Kristiansen, Ladenburg, Liias, Lytton, Maxwell, McCoy, McCune, Miloscia, Moeller, Morris, Moscoso, Nealey, Orcutt, Ormsby, Orwall, Overstreet, Parker, Pearson, Pedersen, Pettigrew, Probst, Reykdal, Rivers, Roberts, Rolfes, Ross, Ryu, Santos, Seaquist, Sells, Shea, Schmick, Short, Stanford, Sullivan, Takko, Taylor, Tharinger, Van De Wege, Walsh, Warnick, Wilcox, Zeiger, and Mr. Speaker
Voting Nay: Representatives Darneille, Hudgins, Hunter, and Springer
Absent:
Excused: Representatives Anderson, Appleton, Eddy, Rodne, Smith, and Upthegrove
I am not sure, but maybe Senate bill 5112 is not making progress because House bill 1016 will go to it for a vote. The list of bills getting an executive hearing in the Senate Judiciary Committee is out, and bill 5112 is not on it.

Ranb

<broken link removed>

Bill 1016 begins at time 17:40 in the above link. Representative Blake read a statement in support of the bill. Representative Shay also briefly spoke in support. No opposition voiced by anyone at all. Less than two minutes was spent on the bill. I do not know if the time it took to vote on the bill was edited out of the video.

Ranb

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads