JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just got off the phone with Representative Pedersen's aide. She says that bill 1016 will get a hearing in committee. This is farther than any silencer bill has gone before; the rest died without a hearing.

The hearing has not been scheduled yet; the session starts on 1/10/2011. The committee schedules should be out by next week some time. I plan on attending as long as it is takes place next week. I will be out of the state working from January 18 till the end of the month.

Unless there are other gun control bills scheduled for a hearing, it is not likely that 200 plus people will show up to observe or testify at the hearing as I saw a few years ago. If you plan on going, get there at least an hour before it is scheduled to start and sign up. Those that sign up are asked if they are pro or con on the bills being heard. Those that want to speak to the committee indicate so. From what I understand, it is first come first serve for those who want to speak. People get about 5 minutes to present their views. The last time I went to a Senate hearing on gun control bills, only about 10% of those showing up were for the bills (various bans), but they choose an equal number to speak on each side, pro and con.

I hope that those people speaking for both sides only stick to the facts and do not use emotional arguments. If I am not able to attend, I would like to speak to anyone here that is planning to go. I can supply data on the low number of silencer related crimes and letters from the WASPC and WACOPS on their positions. I can also prepare a fact sheet to give to the committee members.

I have been hearing that the bill is expected to pass the House, but we need to keep pushing. I have been writing more to Senators and also sent the Governor a letter. A member of Gregoire's staff when she was the AG tried to convince me that silencers were illegal in the entire USA. I hope to convince her that they are useful enough to be legal to use.

Ranb

Thats awesome! Is there any chance it would be on a friday, as I could be there for that at is it my day off. Either way, let us know ASAP and GOOD WORK! on this!

The hearing will take place on Wednesday, 1/12/11. <broken link removed>
Judiciary - 01/12/11 8:00 am
Full Committee
House Hearing Rm A
John L. O'Brien Building
Olympia, WA

Public Hearing:
HB 1032 - Modifying consumer protection act provisions. (If measure is referred to committee.)
HB 1041 - Including correctional employees who have completed government-sponsored law enforcement firearms training to the lists of law enforcement personnel that are exempt from certain firearm restrictions. (If measure is referred to committee.)
HB 1016 - Changing restrictions on firearm noise suppressors. (If measure is referred to committee.)
HB 1017 - Mandating a twelve-hour impound hold on motor vehicles used by persons arrested for driving under the influence. (If measure is referred to committee.)
HB 1001 - Placing restrictions on pro se defendants when questioning witnesses. (If measure is referred to committee.)

There is only one other gun control bill on the list, and it eases restrictions as far as I can tell. I do not anticipate much of an anti-gun crowd showing up for this one.

I will be taking the morning (or whole day) off from work to attend. Anyone want to join me? PM me if interested.

Ranb

Last Edited:
The public hearing is on the 12th, there is an executive hearing on the 13th, whatever that is. I'm thinking the second hearing is closed to the public, but not sure though.

Ranb

I hope to speak at the hearing. I think I will have at most five minutes to do so. I wrote up some stuff I feel is why Olympia should amend the law. Feel free to comment.

Hello, my name is Randall Bragge. I am a resident of Belfair WA, retired Navy veteran and an employee of the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. I am here representing myself and other Washington residents that want the law prohibiting the use of firearm sound suppressors amended.

Like Washington, 36 other states allow civilians to own suppressors, but unlike those other states we are the only ones that prohibit their use on a firearm. The WA statute banning suppressor use does not allow an exception for their use by the police or military.

Suppressors are useful in that they reduce the noise of a firearm usually to a level that does not require shooters or bystanders to wear hearing protection. While ear plugs can prevent hearing loss for the person using a firearm, they do nothing to protect the hearing of those nearby that are not wearing hearing protection. Where allowed, they conserve the hearing of hunters who usually do not use ear plugs. Large and expensive noise abatement structures can reduce the noise from shooting areas, but they are limited in how well they work.

I make suppressors as a hobby to enhance my gun collection. I know from experience that a good suppressor will greatly reduce the noise of a firearm but does not make them completely silent. A good quality firearm suppressor can reduce noise by 20 to 30 decibels which is a 100 to 1000 times reduction in noise intensity or a 4 to 8 times reduction in loudness as heard by the human ear. Their use can greatly reduce the sound level from shooting areas.

While suppressors can greatly reduce noise and reduce the risk of hearing loss, there are disadvantages to their use. They add length, bulk and weight to the firearm. Obtaining approval to buy them is an expensive and time consuming process. These facts mean that suppressors are rare compared to other firearms.

A license is not required to own a suppressor unless they are manufactured or sold as a business. The typical gun owner wishing to own a suppressor fills out an application and sends it to the BATFE along with finger print cards, and a check for $200. This application is required to be signed by the local sheriff or chief of police. After passing a background check, the application is approved usually in 3-4 months. Any adult who can own a gun in the USA can also own a suppressor provided they pay the tax and live in a state that allows them. I have never heard of an application being denied by the BAFTE that was filled out properly.

Violating federal gun control laws controlling suppressors can be very severe. Simply failing to pay the tax prior to buying or making a suppressor can result in a $10,000 fine or ten years in prison. Committing violent crimes with a suppressed firearm can result in life in prison. Using a suppressor on a firearm in Washington, even a legally owned one is a gross misdemeanor with up to a $5000 fine or a year in jail.

I contacted various organizations in Washington to get their opinion on suppressor use. Michael Wolfe told me that Cease Fire Washington would take a neutral stance on the use of legally owned suppressors. The Washington Association of Sheriffs and Police chiefs is also taking a neutral stance. The Washington Council of Police and Sheriffs supports the language of the bill.

Until this year I had never heard of any crimes committed in Washington with a suppressor. I wrote to every county sheriff's office requesting data on any crimes associated with suppressor use and violations of RCW 9.41.250(c). All of the county sheriffs except for five responded to my request. Most of the sheriffs said they had no experience with any suppressor crime. Five counties reported a total of ten crimes associated with firearm suppressors going back as far as they kept records on the statute. I do not have any data that suggests the suppressors were registered or not, but I personally suspect that most of them were not registered.

With suppressors readily available to anyone who wants one, it appears that suppressor related crime is a not a problem in our state. Since suppressors are already legal to own in this state, they are not likely to become a problem if we allow their use.

Ranb

Great post.

May I make a small suggestion.

You say ;
"Until this year I had never heard of any crimes committed in Washington with a suppressor. I wrote to every county sheriff's office requesting data on any crimes associated with suppressor use and violations of RCW 9.41.250(c). All of the county sheriffs except for five responded to my request. Most of the sheriffs said they had no experience with any suppressor crime. Five counties reported a total of ten crimes associated with firearm suppressors going back as far as they kept records on the statute. With suppressors readily available to anyone who wants one, it appears that suppressor related crime is a not a problem in our state. Since suppressors are already legal to own in this state, they are not likely to become a problem if we allow their use."

Did they state if the crimes were committed with LEGAL or illegal silencer? Unless they told you they were committed with legally registered silencer you might point out that the people that committed those crimes were already breaking State and Federal law and the "new" wording of the law would not change that.

Just a thought.

Thanks. I was intending to mention that I had no evidence that any of the silencers involved was registered. I was not able to find out if they were registered or not in any of the incidents.

Ranb

I called Representative Pedersen's aide and was told that the hearing is indeed scheduled for Wednesday morning at 0800. The John L. O'Brien building is right next to the Capital building and Cherberg building. The building should be open at about 7am. I was told that there is ample parking near the roundabout.

I plan on being there shortly before 7am to sign up. There should be sign-up sheets for those who are pro or con for each bill and you can indicate if you wish to speak at the hearing. It is first come first serve. I am not sure if a person can defer to someone else for more time or to sign up early for a person who is late.

We need at least two people who own silencers to speak; a hobbyist like myself and a representative of the industry. When I was listening to people speak out against (and for) the 50 cal rifle ban in a Senate hearing a few years ago, they all had one thing in common, they said they did not own or have any experience with 50 caliber rifles. It made me cringe a bit.

A representative of the industry will likely be more impressive to the committee as they are licensed or work for a licensee. If you are speaking, but prepared to say that you are speaking for yourself plus anyone who is willing to let you speak for them. I am only able to say that I am speaking for myself and a few other WA residents.

Here are directions. http://www.ga.wa.gov/visitor/direction.htm (map at this link also)
416 Sid Snyder Avenue SW
Olympia, WA 98504
Directions
• From I-5 Southbound: Take "Exit 105 to State Capitol", keep left for Exit 105A, and continue for 0.6 miles. Merge with traffic on the left and continue in the left hand lane of 14th Ave SW through the roundabout (Jefferson St.) and under the tunnel 0.4 mi to Capitol Blvd. Continue across Capitol Blvd to the Capitol Building on Sid Snyder Ave SW (14th Ave becomes Sid Snyder Ave).
• From I-5 Northbound: Take Exit 105 and bear left for the State Capitol/City Center exit. Cross over Interstate 5 and keep in the left lane on 14th Ave SE. through the roundabout (Jefferson St) and under the tunnel 0.4 mi to Capitol Blvd. Continue across Capitol Blvd to the Capitol Building on Sid Snyder Ave SW (14th Ave becomes Sid Snyder Ave).
For more information, call the Visitor Information Center at 360-902-8881.

Ranb

I am trying to contact a Class III dealer to show up and speak, but no luck as of yet.
Please anybody post if you are aware of someone who will be attending.

Hearing went off without a hitch. Great support for the bill.
Not a single against showed up to testify or watch.
Move to executive committee tomorrow.
Fingers still crossed!

When the bill was read by the committee staff, it was in a completely unbiased and supportive manner. Their statement included both the words suppressor and silencer. I think the time for being afraid to use the "other S-word" is coming to an end. :)

A WACOPS representative showed up and spoke first, completely stole my thunder. :) That is ok though as he was dressed in a suit and spoke just as eloquent. He also gave healthy support to the notion that civilians should be able to use silencers too. I was left with one minute and only mentioned federal penalties. I forgot to bring up the low crime data I brought with.

A very big thank you for Tom for showing up. He was the sole industry representative. He spoke of how WA class 2's were at a big disadvantage because they could not test their products in the state. I recorded the hearing; I will post the relevant parts on YouTube later today.

Ranb

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top