JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just bought my first silencer and started looking into the laws and regulations regarding NFA items. Can someone point me to an actual law/regulation/ruling that describes storage requirements for silencers?

My question stems from the fact that from the opinions that I have read are split on whether my wife can have access to them while I am not around. Do I need a separate storage option that she doesn't have access to?

And on a secondary note, do you have any suggestions for keeping one at the ready for home defense on an AR? I was looking at getting an AR vault (something like this: AR 1000 | GunVault), but that leaves the suppressor exposed and unprotected. A safe in the bedroom closet is not an option right now. I was thinking about just doing the AR vault, and then slide the suppressor and barrel up into a bracket that completely covers it and is bolted to the wall, so you would have to open the vault and slide it down to clear the silencer.

Any references and ideas?

Far as I know you need to be within visual range or within control distance of the can at all times. Obviously if the can is left at home with the stamp you can go about your private business conducting activities of daily living. No problem. You could just leave the can attached to whatever and leave that firearm where you normally leave it like under the pillow. Or under the bed. In the garage.

Could your wife use the can while you are gone? NO. Her name must be on the tax stamp. Only the name on the stamp can use the can. Sad but true. You would have to be there. You can make copies of your can tax stamp. You can plastic emboss the original and copies. Copies to you. Copies to the lawyer. Copies in the gun safe. The original into that bank safe deposit box or elsewhere.

The tax stamp or a copy of he tax stamp must be somewhere where it could be made available for review, if that ever became necessary. Your wife using the can without you being there? Again NO. You can loan out the can to others but you need to be there. What exactly that means is that you must be in a physical position where you can exercise control of he use of the suppressor.

I wanted to loan out one of the Elite Iron Echo 6" .22rf cans to a friend so he could bust gophers in his back yard out in the country. No other restrictions. But ... I had to be there when he used the can. I could NOT loan it to him for a month so he could pop monsters invading his garden. But ... if I read the regs correctly inside your home or on your property with a stamp copy is just fine.

This is an advantage of NFA trusts. It specifically lists the delegated trust members who can use the NFA stuff without you being physically there to command and control whatever NFA item. Subject change: ... You can suppress the AR15 but you need to work at it. Gas blow back. They make special charging handles. Communication with the Can manufacture is necessary. Elite Iron cans.

Hope this helps. All Oregon State, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply. Site will no link.

www;eliteiron.com Battle Dog.

Far as I know you need to be within visual range or within control distance of the can at all times. Obviously if the can is left at home with the stamp you can go about your private business conducting activities of daily living. No problem. You could just leave the can attached to whatever and leave that firearm where you normally leave it like under the pillow. Or under the bed. In the garage.

Could your wife use the can while you are gone? NO. Her name must be on the tax stamp. Only the name on the stamp can use the can. Sad but true. You would have to be there. You can make copies of your can tax stamp. You can plastic emboss the original and copies. Copies to you. Copies to the lawyer. Copies in the gun safe. The original into that bank safe deposit box or elsewhere.

The tax stamp or a copy of he tax stamp must be somewhere where it could be made available for review, if that ever became necessary. Your wife using the can without you being there? Again NO. You can loan out the can to others but you need to be there. What exactly that means is that you must be in a physical position where you can exercise control of he use of the suppressor.

I wanted to loan out one of the Elite Iron Echo 6" .22rf cans to a friend so he could bust gophers in his back yard out in the country. No other restrictions. But ... I had to be there when he used the can. I could NOT loan it to him for a month so he could pop monsters invading his garden. But ... if I read the regs correctly inside your home or on your property with a stamp copy is just fine.

This is an advantage of NFA trusts. It specifically lists the delegated trust members who can use the NFA stuff without you being physically there to command and control whatever NFA item. Subject change: ... You can suppress the AR15 but you need to work at it. Gas blow back. They make special charging handles. Communication with the Can manufacture is necessary. Elite Iron cans.

Hope this helps. All Oregon State, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply. Site will no link.

www;eliteiron.com Battle Dog.
A little info for you. Get a gun trust and put the people,s name on it that you might let use the silencer. You can add and delete names from your trust. Just follow the rules and the people listed on your trust are free to use the silencer. Make sure you keep copies for them to use at a range are else where.

My understanding is that they can have access to them in your home. It's your wife after all. Use without your presence is not ok. I'm no lawyer and am curious for myself as I have my first couple NFA items on order and would be nice to get that clarified. Good question.

I hope I don't have to buy another safe :oops::rolleyes: ;)

The Legalities Of Silencer Ownership - Stonewall Arms

Since a suppressor is legally considered to be an NFA firearm:

To avoid unauthorized transfers, registrants must store NFA firearms so that no one else has access to them. Firearms may be stored at locations other than the address on the firearm registration form, such as a safe deposit box.

As for trusts, I believe that anyone on the trust, who will be possessing an NFA "firearm" list on the trust, must also submit fingerprints/BGC/etc. and be approved by the ATF?

Yes any Co-Trustee must send their picture and new fingerprints for each new acquisition or every two years. I dont have a Co-trustee just for this reason. Life is busy enough and can change it later if needed.

It's my understanding that the stamp and paperwork is proof of ownership of the suppressor or NFA item. Should the items ownership be questioned by authorities the paperwork needs to be available or it will be confiscated. The stamp is not a lic but a title.

Im not sure. I know trustee pics/prints will be required for any new acquisitions. Prob OK if you don't buy anything new.

Last Edited:
Yes. New rules must be followed after July 1 or whatever the effective date was. So pics and prints for each trustee for each transfer.

At the time of transfer. After the form is in hand you can add trustees without atf notification or fingerprints, pics etc. for the additional trustees.

In short make sure you are the only trustee when you file the form. Add more later if thats what you want.

Do you own or rent?
We are renting for now. I'm curious why what would matter? I guess the landlord has keys. That could be a problem.

But the answer I am taking away is, my wife is not supposed to have access to it while I am gone. Well that is annoying. I have to figure out a new storage option, because right now she has access to all of my gun storage options.

I am still curious exactly what "so that no one else has access to them" means.
(Thanks for the link Heretic.)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads