JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm sitting here at my job. (Where it is isn't really important) But part of my responsibilities are to monitor PPB Radios. And what do I hear but an MWAG report at Walmart at 82nd/Holgate. Loss Prevention called in to report a White Male in his 20's walking around the store with a gun in a holster. Not threatening anyone. Hand isn't on the weapon. And with his child, But apparently that is too scary for the the Loss Prevention officer because it seems suspicious.

Now that officers have arrived, there isn't a whole lot of Radio Traffic, only thing that I can figure out is that he has been dis-armed and is being co-operative.

So if by some chance this person is a member here, you can thank Walmart Loss Prevention for your harassment and please reply to let us know how your experience went.

So I'm sitting here at my job. (Where it is isn't really important) But part of my responsibilities are to monitor PPB Radios. And what do I hear but an MWAG report at Walmart at 82nd/Holgate. Loss Prevention called in to report a White Male in his 20's walking around the store with a gun in a holster. Not threatening anyone. Hand isn't on the weapon. And with his child, But apparently that is too scary for the the Loss Prevention officer because it seems suspicious.

Now that officers have arrived, there isn't a whole lot of Radio Traffic, only thing that I can figure out is that he has been dis-armed and is being co-operative.

So if by some chance this person is a member here, you can thank Walmart Loss Prevention for your harassment and please reply to let us know how your experience went.

Dude, if that person is here, he should call Walmart corporate about it. I've open carried several times in Walmart.

*sigh* I choose not to open carry, BUT I do support the right of people to do so. Our state does allow for it. Whether or not we agree with it, open carrying in a big public store is gonna be likely to freak some people out-- especially in a big city mega-store.

I am by no means a confrontational (or 'threatening looking') guy, not to imply he was either. But I think I've have struck up a conversation with him, a very friendly conversation. Wouldn't want to be aggro, or upset his child. But I think I'd mention that he's being eyed 'cos of his visible firearm. And who knows for sure if I'd have actually done that? And yeah, it probably would've gotten me pulled into the back room with the guy, or who know?

I have a chl and carry everywhere, always. I hope he had a valid chl too... wherever we stand on the issue of open carry, I reckon we can agree he'd have spared himself and his daughter a pile of hassle if he'd been cc'ing.

Having worked loss prevention, I can honestly tell you that a lot of LP officers are just a bunch of wanna be cops..... they get to dress normally and carry a badge and hand cuffs and they think they are police. As far as walmart goes, this is nothing, wait till they (TSA) have TV monitors with that nasty looking janet napolitano telling you SEE SOMETHING, REPORT SOMETHING. When I see videos of her on YouTube telling people to be snitches, she need to have a German accent with a Hitler stash. When you as a citizen see something very strange by all means you should say something, but a man with a holstered firearm and his kid(s) walking and not acting weird should not make you think RAMPAGE. A lot of people are dumb and they also don't know the state laws when it comes to guns. Idiot sheep dogs will always feel like they accomplished something when they observe and report something like this. Good for the guy who was open carrying and I hope he keeps it up...... I have open carried in walmart a few times and never had a problem. It's so sad that you can legally do something and still be treated like a criminal. I also must say that a lot of the time in the life of a loss prevention officer, it's just another lame day at work so when they see stuff like this, they have to spring to action and make the day worth it.

Bad move on loss preventions part, Walmarts policy is if its legal, its just fine, can't recall if it was mentioned in an orientation or what, but customers carrying is fine, employee carrying is not, I have no idea why security wouldn't be aware of the company's policy regarding something like that, seems like something that'd be important to know

Group open carry @ Walmart! It would be fun to have like 20 guys come in and just parade the store then buy a soda. Course then they might call in the SWAT team.

Typical NW liberal walmart bashing. Try open carry at fred meyers and see where that gets you.

Walmart is private property. Their store, their rules.

Originally Posted by Chameleon
If there's no sign in clear view stating that there are no guns allowed then it is perfectly legal for law abiding citizens to open carry/ccw in ANY Oregon store.

"Until store personnel ask you to leave. Then you have to leave or you are trespassing as I understand it. "

I object to the use of the word legal,that implys a law.There is no law involved in carrying in a store.Only a store or company rule.

eriknemily has it right!!!

a call to corporate is all it'll take to clear that up, they'll get ahold of local management and remind them of the company policy regarding customer carry, I don't open carry myself for this exact kind of thing, but if you do and frequent that particular walmart, make a phone call and worry no more *shrug*

Trying or creating a problem, in lieu of making a point, is like winning a minor battle, that leads to loosing a war.. Why? Why push this point? Either play nice, don't play, or go concealed. It's easy to be prepared, and not cause obvious discontent. Just my .02c

Typical NW liberal walmart bashing. Try open carry at fred meyers and see where that gets you.

Walmart is private property. Their store, their rules.

Dude, I have open carried in a couple Fred Meyers as well. I have never had a single problem with it. I usually CC but when my I go out with friends who don't have their permit, I OC to make them comfortable with carrying. There is nothing wrong with OC.

Until store personnel ask you to leave. Then you have to leave or you are trespassing as I understand it.

The mini-cop didn't ask him to leave, he called the law down on him, and at that point the LEO had to do something. The problem was with the LP guy, start to finish, who wasn't trained in corp policy and wasn't aware of OC law.

I'm ready to hang my butt out there, if we really do want to put together an OC trip to Wally World. I'm sick and tired of feeling like a criminal every time my cover garment hangs up.

Different over here on the right side of the mountains. I was in Wallyworld just before Christmas looking for a jacket. I peeled of my coat to try one on and the salesperson, upon seeing my Springfield XD .45 holstered on my hip merely asked...."Is that a Springfield?, how do you like it?" :s0155:

Bad move on loss preventions part, Walmarts policy is if its legal, its just fine, can't recall if it was mentioned in an orientation or what, but customers carrying is fine, employee carrying is not, I have no idea why security wouldn't be aware of the company's policy regarding something like that, seems like something that'd be important to know

I bet somebody's going to be getting some retraining on corporate policy.

Different over here on the right side of the mountains. I was in Wallyworld just before Christmas looking for a jacket. I peeled of my coat to try one on and the salesperson, upon seeing my Springfield XD .45 holstered on my hip merely asked...."Is that a Springfield?, how do you like it?" :s0155:

We'll, I know where I'm moving tomorrow. :s0114:

Here in Central Oregon you can damn near OC anywhere and it seems like almost no one cares unless they want to talk shop lol.
Cool aint it? I am exposed to firearms at work on a fairly regular basis IE. customer owned or employee owned either being moved from one vehicle to another or just showing and talking about them. About a month ago a co-worker and I were admiring a bolt action .50 BMG in the parking lot. It probably raises the hackles on the few libs that may be around but the environment I work is is very conservative - customers and employees alike.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top