JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am off (not working) today and I plan on visiting a friend. He lives in Forest Grove and I am gonna hit up the new walmart out there. I am gonna open carry into the store and see what happens. I have a valid CHL with WashRshington Co. lol and I will be video and audio recording my experience and posting it on my YouTube channel. The main reason is to go check out some ammo prices, maybe buy some ammo and also see if my local walmart will respect my right to open carry. Some of you on here say that walmart has no problem with open carry as long as it's legal, so we shall see. I have gone to this walmart in the past OCing and so lets see what happens. I am not doing this to show off or to scare people.... the pistol will be holstered in a Blackhawk serpa level II and with my CHL I can OC but if they have a problem with it I will leave.

I am off (not working) today and I plan on visiting a friend. He lives in Forest Grove and I am gonna hit up the new walmart out there. I am gonna open carry into the store and see what happens. I have a valid CHL with WashRshington Co. lol and I will be video and audio recording my experience and posting it on my YouTube channel. The main reason is to go check out some ammo prices, maybe buy some ammo and also see if my local walmart will respect my right to open carry. Some of you on here say that walmart has no problem with open carry as long as it's legal, so we shall see. I have gone to this walmart in the past OCing and so lets see what happens. I am not doing this to show off or to scare people.... the pistol will be holstered in a Blackhawk serpa level II and with my CHL I can OC but if they have a problem with it I will leave.

Sounds like a good idea. You've got the right attitude going into it. I eagerly await your update....

and at that point the LEO had to do something.

Why do you feel that the cop had to do anything? If the call was because a guy was carrying a firearm then so what. If the call was to remove a guy for whatever reason then OK but the rental cop should ask them to leave without calling 911.....It may or may not be Wallmart corporate policy to do whatever but that doesn't matter so much. If the store managers want the guy to leave he has to leave. He can complain to corporate if he wants after he leaves.:s0155:

Why do you feel that the cop had to do anything? If the call was because a guy was carrying a firearm then so what. If the call was to remove a guy for whatever reason then OK but the rental cop should ask them to leave without calling 911.....It may or may not be Wallmart corporate policy to do whatever but that doesn't matter so much. If the store managers want the guy to leave he has to leave. He can complain to corporate if he wants after he leaves.:s0155:

I agree on principle that the doesn't shouldn't have to do anything just because of the call. But I'm sure dept. operating guidelines require contact to be made with the person if for no other reason than to save face.

Ok I went to walmart last night and everything went well. Granted I made it out there at 11pm but I still made it because I almost didn't make it lol. I went and looked at some ammo, there was one guy looking at the ammo and when he saw my pistol he was like WTF? hahahahah he didn't say anything but the way I caught him looking at me said it all. I was with my buddy and so I was talking to him and slowly the WTF guy walked away. The employee who helped me was a nice guy, I got a box or 9mm and .40 federal and they had it waiting for me at the register once I was done looking around in the store. A few other walmart employees saw me walking around and didn't say anything and I didn't catch any of them looking at me weird. The cashier was a little stiff and I am sure he was like WHY IS THAT GUY CARRYING A GUN? lol but he was cool too...... took my money and gave me my change and wished me a good night. All and all it was not bad at all OCing at walmart..... I did make a vid abut I have not posted it on youtube yet because it's just blah..... 2 guys walking in walmart.... woooo hoooo but I guess if people really want to see it I can post it.

Why do folks open carry? Seems like in this day-and-age its not "normal" to see a person walking around with a gun. A person carrying out in the open is going to draw a lot of attention and cause a lot of concern, make a ruckus and then the LP personnel are going to call the police etc. Why not just carry concealed?

Why do folks open carry? Seems like in this day-and-age its not "normal" to see a person walking around with a gun. A person carrying out in the open is going to draw a lot of attention and cause a lot of concern, make a ruckus and then the LP personnel are going to call the police etc. Why not just carry concealed?
I think the point is to try to make it "normal" again.

I'm not going to get into an Open Carry vs Concealed Carry debate... However people choose to carry, both methods are legal under Oregon Law....

Yes private business's are allowed to exclude weapons from their premise, however, Weapons Banned signs have no "Legal" standing in Oregon. All they can do is ask you to leave. *If* you refuse, then you are criminally trespassing and then LE gets involved.

It is well documented what Wal-marts corporate policy is RE: the carry of Firearms. They go by what is legal in the state. I personally think the LP Officer handled this completely wrong. If he had a problem, he should've checked w/ his manager or the (Person In Charge Of the Premises) and gotten a clarification. There was no law being broken, therefore, there was no reason to contact LE.

And back to the topic at hand.... I've never understood this line of thought.... However a person chooses to carry, they are not breaking the law, therefore, it is noone elses "Business" how they choose to carry. This is a public education issue vs. a law enforcement issue.

I do not believe it is the OP's responsibility to "Make people more comfortable" Just because a person chooses to open carry does not immiediately make them out to cause trouble or confrontational. They are merely exercising their rights...

It's no different then someone standing on the corner preaching the bible... People holding signs on the side of the road... Etc Etc Some people may not like it, but really that's not the point...

I'm not going to get into an Open Carry vs Concealed Carry debate... However people choose to carry, both methods are legal under Oregon Law....

Yes private business's are allowed to exclude weapons from their premise, however, Weapons Banned signs have no "Legal" standing in Oregon. All they can do is ask you to leave. *If* you refuse, then you are criminally trespassing and then LE gets involved.

It is well documented what Wal-marts corporate policy is RE: the carry of Firearms. They go by what is legal in the state. I personally think the LP Officer handled this completely wrong. If he had a problem, he should've checked w/ his manager or the (Person In Charge Of the Premises) and gotten a clarification. There was no law being broken, therefore, there was no reason to contact LE.

And back to the topic at hand.... I've never understood this line of thought.... However a person chooses to carry, they are not breaking the law, therefore, it is noone elses "Business" how they choose to carry. This is a public education issue vs. a law enforcement issue.

I do not believe it is the OP's responsibility to "Make people more comfortable" Just because a person chooses to open carry does not immiediately make them out to cause trouble or confrontational. They are merely exercising their rights...

It's no different then someone standing on the corner preaching the bible... People holding signs on the side of the road... Etc Etc Some people may not like it, but really that's not the point...
Got all that.

Thinking its one of those things that "just because you can (for all the reasons above, etc.) doesn't necessarily mean you should."

I know it's legal and store policies are thus and so and everything, but really, why? To prove a point?

Why, just because someone is open carrying, do they have to be "proving a point"... Maybe they have a physical handicap they prevents them from CC... Maybe they only have one firearm and it's a full sized glock 17 and it's impractical to attempt to carry it concealed. Maybe it just works better for them...

When the LP called the cops on him, he was at the drinking fountain near the restroom, with his infant daughter.... When the cops showed up, he was "cooperating completely"

He wasn't being belligerant, he wasn't running around screaming you can't do this, these are my rights.. He was merely peacefully going about his business... The 911 operator specifically asked the LP Officer if he was threatening anyone or if he had placed his hand on the weapon. The LP Officer said no, that as long as he had been watching the guy, he hadn't interacted with anyone else in the store....

Why, just because someone is open carrying, do they have to be "proving a point"... Maybe they have a physical handicap they prevents them from CC... Maybe they only have one firearm and it's a full sized glock 17 and it's impractical to attempt to carry it concealed...
That may well be the case from time-to-time, but the exception rather than the rule. I have found most who open carry antagonistic with an air of self-entitlement and little humility. They are looking to prove a point. This is unwise and shows a lack of good judgment.

Oh, and by the way, they have a gun.

That may well be the case from time-to-time, but the exception rather than the rule. I have found most who open carry antagonistic with an air of self-entitlement and little humility. They are looking to prove a point. This is unwise and shows a lack of good judgment.

Oh, and by the way, they have a gun.

Your assumption of "the exception rather than the rule" is unfounded and I request you cite your source.

I am not antagonistic in fact I go out of my way to not be, and have been told I am humble. But i just have to take their word for it.
I open carry carry for a number or reasons and I have good judgment.

You seem to be of the liberal mindset where the only right ideal is the one you like and you attempt to dismiss and denigrate those who disagree with you.

Just look at AZ and walk into a store there open carrying what do you think the reaction will be? I don't care what others do but in this sensitive nature at this point I would rather nobody know. The less the better. I agree with many on here and that's why the reaction. And a private business which all stores are can set all the rules they want no matter what. It is their property and have final authority on their premises. Open carry if you want but this is going to happen more often. Walk into the bank and open carry, better yet do it anywhere you like but don't be surprised when someone calls the police.

Why do most people feel like they can carry anywhere they choose? I don't believe CC is a right but rather a privledge just like driving. You have to attend a class, you have to pay fee's, you have to be fingerprinted, you have to have a background check, and they expire just like a DL. You have a right to posses a firearm but I again do not believe it is a right to carry cc.

Let the floggings begin.

I believe we have a 'Long row to hoe' given the way the 'wind is blowing' but I am open minded so give us examples of ideas on how to change the public perception and start to make it 'normal' again.

The thing is it is not going to change. Watch the news everyday and all you see are murders, shootings all across the U.S. The perception will not change and you cannot change the minds of people that are determined to get rid of guns. That will never change just like I will never feel we should never be not able to own a gun. The debate has beeen and will be the same forever.

[/QUThinking its one of those things that "just because you can (for all the reasons above, etc.) doesn't necessarily mean you should."

I know it's legal and store policies are thus and so and everything, but really, why? To prove a point? OTE]

If you don't use a right you soon loose it.

A right is something you can use or do anywhere! If I don't drive I will loose my priveledge? Driving by the way is not a right. I don't drink my beer I will loose it. If you choose to exercise a right or not you cannot loose it unless you do something to have the right taken away.

Your assumption of "the exception rather than the rule" is unfounded and I request you cite your source.

I am not antagonistic in fact I go out of my way to not be, and have been told I am humble. But i just have to take their word for it.
I open carry carry for a number or reasons and I have good judgment.

You seem to be of the liberal mindset where the only right ideal is the one you like and you attempt to dismiss and denigrate those who disagree with you.
My source, just my experience.

Libertarian, but not liberal. Not always right either. Believe honesty and humility are not inherent, rather they're things to strive towards, even with ones self. Many people have an inferiority complex as well – little man syndrome. Just like when you get boastful little boys together to play, websites like this – "boys and their toys" are very similar. Two big differences, inhibitions go out the window with the anonymity the internet affords and here, we're not talking about toys. Thus, we get a lot of conceited, ignorant fools here who are free to post their diatribe, have little or no idea what they're talking about and have no introspection. Much easier to not be honest with yourself than it is others and many lack enough humility to analyze what they have done/do or say. In this case, many are not willing to admit they open carry only to antagonize and elicit a response. They know they're in the right (and they may well be), but they're looking to prove a point. Whether they're within their rights or not is not what I'm getting at here. I'm looking at the wisdom of the decision. Again, "just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I see guys riding their bikes across a bridge in Portland in rainsoaked darkness and many have the attitude that it is their right while their car sits at home. Whether they have a right or not, it's a stoopid thing to do.

So MarkAd, why do YOU open carry?

Chi139, I happen to be a bit older than many most likely are in here, and have a slightly different approach than most, but you have stated my view better than I could have myself. Yes, I have both an Oregon and Utah ccwp, allowing me to carry in 34 states, at last count. I prefer concealed for many reasons, and carry to both protect myself and family, as well as exercising my constitutional right. I also practice as much as I can, reload to save money, but do not feel the need to wear my opinon on my sleeve (or in this case hip) by carrying open.

Having said that, it is perfectly legal to do so, but I wonder about the wisdom of doing so. I would rather see the rest of the world wondering if I am carrying or not, rather than enforcing a point I choose to make. Just sayin'.....Dan

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top