JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have looked here for this bullets loading data but it is just not here.... The interweb is not giving me much at all either...:eek::eek::eek::eek:o_O
I have loaded a lot of 55g FMJ's but I want better accuracy and confidence that a HP delivers for HD purposes. I'll be using CFE223 powder an CCI400 primers.
This is all I found......
223 Remington Load Data - Nosler
Any help is greatly appreciated.;)

Jim Sr.

The varmageddon is a flat based bullet, use the OAL for that and start working up there.

And I would use 450 primers, cfe is a ball powder and hotter primers will light it better. They also have thicker cups so in a high pressure round like a 223 you will be able to get closer to where you should be without getting primer flow or piercing them.

I have looked here for this bullets loading data but it is just not here.... The interweb is not giving me much at all either...:eek::eek::eek::eek:o_O
I have loaded a lot of 55g FMJ's but I want better accuracy and confidence that a HP delivers for HD purposes. I'll be using CFE223 powder an CCI400 primers.

Jim Sr.
Hey Jim I texted you some data I dug up in my manuals. Hope it helps;)

The varmageddon is a flat based bullet, use the OAL for that and start working up there.

And I would use 450 primers, cfe is a ball powder and hotter primers will light it better. They also have thicker cups so in a high pressure round like a 223 you will be able to get closer to where you should be without getting primer flow or piercing them.

I did see a lot of info on the varmgeddon but was unsure of the two being so close for loads.

Not soon after I posted the primer info I got busy & forgot to change it to the 450.
I'd loaded a bunch of 55g with IMR 3031 which is extruded with the 400's.
Thanks for the info & reminder.;)

Last Edited:
I did see a lot of info on the varmgeddon but was unsure of the two being so close for loafs.

Not soon after I posted the primer info I got busy & forgot to change it to the 450.
I'd loaded a bunch of 55g with IMR 3031 which is extruded with the 400's.
Thanks for the info & reminder.;)

They are probably slightly different, but since they are both HPFB they should be comparable enough that it will be safe using that data as a guideline. It will take some experimentation to find the max for them though.

I've started using the Magnum primers for everything, it cuts down on the inventory I need to keep, and I've found they frequently work better, smaller ES and SD over a chrono.

I tried it after reading this Large Rifle Primer Performance by Laurie Holland

Good article, I'd heard that the extruded powders (like IMR3031 & the like) were not as dense (more space between the rods) & didnt need the mag primers like the dense (compacted) ball powders.
Good to know though.;)

Good article, I'd heard that the extruded powders (like IMR3031 & the like) were not as dense (more space between the rods) & didnt need the mag primers like the dense (compacted) ball powders.
Good to know though.;)

They don't need it really, but they also won't hurt, and it's simpler to just keep one kind on hand, since I use both types of powder.

Jim Sr.
You know you can call or email Sierra directly and they'll be more than happy to help you out.

Here. Actual information you requested.
27.4gr is the maximum published on the far right.

image.jpg

Taken from the Hornady #10 book.

Thought he was looking for the Sierra 60gr, though that should get him close as long as he starts on the low side.
Considering Sierra's has a BC of .246 vs the .271 of Hornady's.... pretty darn close powder load wise. Anyone who would do a ladder anyway would find the sweet spot.

So the Hornady is a little sleeker.... overall it's negligible.

Thanks for the info guys, been busier than a one legged man in an azz kickin contest lately....
I don't have very many loading manuals but the 2 I do have did not mention the 60g HP specifically (but did the Vmax & SP) so thought I'd ask to make sure since they are different sizes, albeit not by much.
With me being in this hobby for less than 2 years I do not want to ASSUME anything....:eek::eek::eek:
While waiting for this info I have switched over to 40 Smith & Wesson for the time being.
Thanks again.;)

Considering Sierra's has a BC of .246 vs the .271 of Hornady's.... pretty darn close powder load wise. Anyone who would do a ladder anyway would find the sweet spot.

So the Hornady is a little sleeker.... overall it's negligible.

Yep, with all the loads I've made I start small & work it up.
I need to make a portable shooting bench for my 100 yrd range. I have to carry everything past a locked gate over 1/4 mile.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads