JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't see any thread for axes.

Here is what I got.

First I was thinking of buying Fiskars, but this one had just as good reviews. Also, the Trial Boss has some serious Viking look and style, the Fiskars is maybe also good, but I wouldn't be too proud to own one of those.

:)

Picked this up used long after I decided I wanted one for my kit.

Used by someone on CL for garden duty so it had very minor wear marks on the head.

I'm very happy with it. Very aggressive angle on the head, so not as much of a wood splitter as it is a tree / branch cutter.

Good balance between useable size and weight and fits on my pack easily.
IMG_0995.PNG

DSC06048.jpg
I use a Hudson's Bay Pattern camp axe.
Its an older made in USA Snow & Nealley .
Reshaped the hickory handle and stained it with nitric acid.
It holds an edge really well and gets lots of use.

The tomahawk head is one I won at a shooting match.
Andy

Last Edited:
OH boy now you asked for it. Here is the Polanski that will go on my 48 Willys CJ2A when the Jeep is finished.

I got board one day and decided to fit the new handle and put a little paint on it.
I'll do a short shovel and a large bow saw the same way.

Here is one of the little pack axes I used to make when I was a Custom Knifemaker. The steel is O1 the edge and the head are sharpened separately it weighs in at 14 oz and can sink a 16d nail in a 2x4 with little more effort then a 16oz hammer and can cut through an Elks pelvis with no trouble. (and no I do not make knives any more nor do I have any for sale)

Pulaski%20Axe%20painted%20up%20web_zpstszg6qon.jpg PackAxe1_zps2677621f.jpg

2l9341y.jpg

Favorite: the Ragweed Forge British Belt Axe on the right. Almost as good as the CRKT Chogan to the left and half the weight.

Fiskars splitting axe on far left is what I use for splitting, next to it a generic chopping axe.

I have a splitting maul out in the shop, but the Fiskars is half the weight and does about the same job.

20jmhhw.jpg

The Schrade hatchet on the bottom is not very useful, being too light, except for fine kindling.

Rarely use an axe. Splitting maul is on its third handle. Brush hook rarely used anymore either. Most used hatchet is from Robin Wood in England [bottom]. Picked up a Swedish Carving Hatchet and Froe by Granfors-Bruks last year; both for greenwood work. Earlier this summer I got a carving hatchet from blacksmith Hans Karlsson [top left] and I expect it will be my favorite in years to come.

hatchets.jpg

Last Edited:
View attachment 313917 I use a Hudson's Bay Pattern camp axe.
Its an older made in USA Snow & Nealley .
Reshaped the hickory handle and stained it with nitric acid.
It holds an edge really well and gets lots of use.

The tomahawk head is one I won at a shooting match.
Andy
TWO? Is that all you had on the night stand?:D
Rarely use an axe. Splitting maul is on its third handle. Brush hook rarely used anymore either; original handle replaced once. Most used hatchet is from Robin Wood in England [bottom]. Picked up a Swedish Carving Hatchet and Froe by Granfors-Bruks last year; both for greenwood work. Earlier this summer I got a carving hatchet from blacksmith Hans Karlsson [top left] and I expect it will be my favorite in years to come.

View attachment 314141
That's what I talkin about.
I wish I could upload pics.

IMG_1250.JPG Try this one, my bedside companion, The Trucker's Friend. Supposedly, the ultimate trucker tool. But we all know what it is really intended for...

I've been chopping a lot of wood this past month. Once it has seasoned, we'll have many winters worth stored in a few different places. Here is a couple axes and a maul from the old tool shed. This is a newer maul as the one I started with was pretty much worn out.

Axes1.jpg

Last Edited:
These are likely to be found in my truck, they were contaminated and we had to wash them so I snapped a shot.
The hatchet is a 40yr old Plumb, and the top machete was made in PDX during WW2, they were issued in the Pacific Theater! If my grandpa was telling the truth! It has a solid aluminum grip and is very high quality! The hatchet's pouch is attached to the handmade leather sheath! All painted cammo because they were used for "brushing/grassing" in waterfowl hunting blinds.
The shortened machete is an old Collins.

IMG_0315.JPG

Last Edited:
I have a 100 year old Plumb falling axe but it is in storage until we buy a house. Fired up my FIL's chainsaw...wow....It is a Remington electric. I wasn't impressed with the bar oiler (it didn't seem to really work) and fighting the cord coming out while I was on the ladder limbing the neighbor's oak that overhang's our hot tub was a pain!....But, it did the job and I didn't have to break someone's loppers...

Brutus Out

OH boy now you asked for it. Here is the Polanski that will go on my 48 Willys CJ2A when the Jeep is finished.

I got board one day and decided to fit the new handle and put a little paint on it.
I'll do a short shovel and a large bow saw the same way.

Here is one of the little pack axes I used to make when I was a Custom Knifemaker. The steel is O1 the edge and the head are sharpened separately it weighs in at 14 oz and can sink a 16d nail in a 2x4 with little more effort then a 16oz hammer and can cut through an Elks pelvis with no trouble. (and no I do not make knives any more nor do I have any for sale)

Polanski is the perv movie director. I am sure you mean Pulaski.:rolleyes:

Brutus Out

Well seeing how i can't upload pics and dont subscribe to any look at me social media "outlets" or give the government all my photos on a cloud I'll just say i have a gemtor survival or crash hatchet, Rated to 20kv Google it.. And practically every size fiskars which I'll be selling. Thinking about the CRKT chogan. Trying to down size everything though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top