JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
0CA91BCD-72D8-4BAC-88F7-374559DEA12B.jpeg

It is BH 50gr TSX round.

Last Edited:
Not if you really care about your rifle. It isn't worth the potential damage It could do to it, or you or somebody standing nearby.

I'd fire it without a second thought. I can pretty much guarantee a dent like that is not going to cause a problem. It will iron out on firing and you probably won't even be able to tell it was ever dented by looking at the empty.

I've only been shooting old surplus and reloading for 30 years. I've seen and done a lot of stuff pushing limits I shouldn't have tinkering and loading, but shooting a round with a little dent like that really is nothing, in my opinion.

As an example of pushing the limits where maybe I shouldn't have: Years ago I found a pile of 30-06 brass scattered on a gravel logging road. It had been ran over and was dented badly. Necks were crushed and there were big dents in most of the case bodies, to the point where I had to squeeze them with pliers just to get them into a sizing die.

This is the part where I say don't try this at home. It was a foolish experiment and they should have gone straight into the scrap, even though it worked out fine. 30-06 brass is so cheap and plentiful that there's no point in trying to salvage junk.

That said, I got a lot of loadings out of those cases. I started out with a light load in a bolt action. As I recall a couple of the very worst developed upper-case splits on the first firing, but no harm done to the rifle. I then loaded and shot them numerous times in the M1. I do believe I annealed them.

What I learned is something I've read several times in other places too: things like cracks and dents in the upper part of the case are really not the big worry, but anything that compromises the cartridge base is the real concern. I've had a couple old surplus rounds over the years let go with a crack through the case head, and that's no fun at all. On a related note, I learned the importance of eye protection. :)

The best policy is always "when in doubt, throw it out", but brass cases really are tougher than you might think.

Ask yourself how .257 is fire-formed into .257 Ackley Improved. The shoulder gets blown out into the open space. This is not a problem! It would be if the case was cracked, but your pic does not appear to show that. :)

Id save it for when my buddies came over and take a good round and make it look like I bit into it and dented it.
I also am easily entertained.

Ask yourself how .257 is fire-formed into .257 Ackley Improved. The shoulder gets blown out into the open space. This is not a problem! It would be if the case was cracked, but your pic does not appear to show that. :)

That's a good point about fire forming improved brass; I hadn't thought about that, and I even have a 30-06 Ackley Improved rifle.

As to cracks, even if it was it's not really a safety issue. Having fired lots of surplus ammo over the years, even stuff from the 30's and 40's, I've had plenty of split brass. Like I mentioned before, it's damage to the base that you have to worry about, but split necks and shoulders are not typically serious because the body will still seal the chamber.

Not that you should ever intentionally fire a cracked case, that's a bad practice. It's always best avoided, but on rare occasion I've even had new, factory fresh brass split on the first firing.

I honestly don't know if a split case does any damage/erosion to a chamber. If so I'd assume it's minute. Most of the rifles I've burned surplus ammo through have been old Mausers and Mosins and the like, and I've never noticed any harm, but I do try to avoid it.

I agree with the posters above that it should be safe to fire and even reload afterwards. Usually what I do with an ugly duckling like that is mark the case head so I can tell it apart from the rest of the rounds after its been fired. That way I can inspect the case for any issues after its been fire formed. Since the cartridge headspaces on the shoulder I would probably drop it in a LE Wilson case gauge first just to make sure things have not been pushed around enough to affect the headspace in the wrong direction.

However, I would not recommend loading it into a home defense weapons magazine and making it one of the first rounds to be chambered. Put that ugly little bugger in the mag first so it is the last round that you are depending on chambering when the SHTF. And understand that if it does get stuck in the chamber at that point you are gonna be clubing your way to safety. Just my .02!

Essential Gear: Using the L.E. Wilson Rifle Case Gage – Ultimate Reloader

Last Edited:
If it chambers, I'd fire it. However, if the bolt doesn't return all the way to battery, you have a stuck cartridge and a PITA on your hands. Whatever, if it doesn't properly chamber, DO NOT use the forward assist.

As to cracks, even if it was it's not really a safety issue. Having fired lots of surplus ammo over the years, even stuff from the 30's and 40's, I've had plenty of split brass.
I have shot lots of rifle and pistol rounds that show cracks in the case mouth, neck or shoulder after firing. They get tossed. Even though the expanding brass will seal on the chamber walls, I will not load a defective case. A crack indicates compromised integrity. If it shows at the weakest point, there are probably issues at the case head, where as you say, defects can have catastrophic results.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews