Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Shotgun Magazine Plug.

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by feetchermancj, Jun 21, 2012.

1. feetchermancj

feetchermancj Central Oregon Member

In oregon is it legal to remove the magazine plug in a shotgun so it can hold more than 2+1? If so, what is the maximum capacity you can legally have? I know its illegal if you're hunting migratory birds but I'm just shooting sporting clays. Thanks.

2. JackThompson

JackThompson Valley of the Demons Well-Known Member

I know you can remove the plug for self defense purposes. (Bird hunting notwithstanding of course)

I don't know the rest.

3. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

The magazine capacities are limited by the hunting regs. As long as you aren't hunting I believe you won't have a problem.

4. feetchermancj

Called ODFW and no one there was sure so they're going to call me back.

5. feetchermancj

ODFW just called me back and said that the only time you can't have more than 2+1 in your shotgun is when bird hunting. So if your out just shooting clays in the woods you can load as many as your gun will hold.

6. Varmit

Varmit Beaverton, OR Member

Last I heard, the 3 shot limit is an old Federal law when hunting Migratory birds. Some states have adopted it for all hunting, but many haven't. The newer LEO pumps have a magazine tube to the end of the barrel. The only restriction for hunting I see in the Oregon regs is at least a 18" barrel and 26" overall For Hunting. Federal regulations would still apply for migratory birds.