1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

shorten a ar 16 inch barrel for a pistol build

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by jaime, Oct 22, 2012.

  1. jaime

    jaime salem oregon New Member

    Likes Received:
    hello everyone i was wondering if anyone could help i have a 16 inch gov profile barrel that would like to get shorten to 10.5 for a pistol build now i was wondering if this is legal? and if there is any place that could do it for a fair price. my lower i will attach to will have a pistol buffer so no way a stock can be installed. plus i know if i did that would be a felony charge.
  2. the4thshake

    the4thshake Portland Active Member

    Likes Received:
    Your going to need it cut, crowned, threaded and the gas port opened up. I would send it to Adco. They have done work for me in the past. The quality and turn around time was great.
  3. Nwcid

    Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Since you ask about legal I will start with this part. You have to have a lower receiver that has NEVER been a rifle to be legal. If you are planning on taking your rifle, adding a pistol buffer and cutting down your barrel that is ILLEGL.

    As for the cost to cut down the barrel, Re-crown, then the gas block is not in the right place it would be much cheaper to buy the correct barrel and sell your current one.