JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I spoke to the President of the Cascade Sportsman's Club. Stevenson Range is indeed closing and everything has to be cleared out by the second week of August per DNR. Their reasons are indeed a salamander study and a proposed timber sale. The garbage indeed contributed to the DNR's decision. Cascade Sportsman's Club is trying to find some private property for a range. It's terrible that people ruin all the good spots for everyone else...

*Sigh* another place bites the dust. Why exactly am I paying for the Discovery Pass when they keep closing public shooting ranges?

We pay for the Discovery Pass so the Govmint has the funds to find our shooting spots and close them down. How else would they be able to afford it? <intended as sarcasm, but it strikes a chord of truth>

We pay for the Discovery Pass so the Govmint has the funds to find our shooting spots and close them down. How else would they be able to afford it? <intended as sarcasm, but it strikes a chord of truth>

If people could compare the lack of freedom to do just about anything as compared to the 70s/80s their heads will explode. 51,000+ new laws passed every year to restrict everything you say and do just eventually means you are to stay at home and just STFU.

That's about par for the course. I've been up to the bridge of the Gods shooting for years, and have found nothing but very courteous people and the sportsman club that run the range have done a good job keeping it safe. The last time I went up to Larch, it was like a war zone, and I will not be back. The trash up there is unbelievable! DNR has closed shooting within a few miles of the jail a couple years back, and it wouldn't surprise me that they close the entire area up there to shooting. I guess I'll have to travel to my secret spot, but it is a couple hours away.

Took the family up to Larch last night and shot for about 2 1/2 hours. There were 5 trucks that drove past during these 2.5 hours and they all smiled and waved as they went by. No crazy people shooting mylar baloons, no bad people waving guns in unsafe fashions.

My advice is to go during a weeknight and avoid the weekend crowd it looks like.

Just spoke to the Skamania county sheriff office and they said the DNR closed it and is an active rock query with machinery parked in it for the time being. They said it will be closed for shooting until further notice and I assumed from that, that its not closed for good.

I avoid Larch like the plague. I had heard numerous horror stories of idiots being EXTREMELY unsafe there, so I never had gone until last year. A friend wanted to show me a spot he found, so I went up there to play around. We found a spot and started plinking with our 10/22s and some pistols. A while later, some other guys parked right across the dirt road from us and started shooting. They weren't shooting at us, but closer than we wanted to be. We ended up packing up and trying to find a different spot on the way back down the hill. Every place that was possible to shoot was full of people. The one that took the cake, though, was the group that had set balloons on a ridge line to shoot. These helium balloons were floating above the ridge, so their bullets did not impact the dirt. Lord knows where their bullets went, but I don't think it ever occurred to them that a balloon would not stop a rifle round. We got the heck out of there and I haven't been back since.
May I ask, did you politely and like a man take the time to explain and educate these careless less aware brothers. I have and I've had others in the past educate me. I want to add I had a Sargeant with the Vancouver police dept. take the time to educate me on what could have been a firearms charge.(Not a felon in possesion charge) People respect values of safety.

A friend and I are going to go exploring for shooting places on Larch mountain this weekend based on some older posts off this site. We're looking for something that is the 100-300 range preferably with low crowds. We are competent, safe shooters who take out more trash than we bring in.

If any one has any spots they'd like to share it would be greatly appreciated. If you want to PM to keep it private that is great. Directions or GPS coordinates are welcome. Thanks a bunch
You still here Weaver?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads