JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You still here Weaver?
Go here on a week day early morning. Shooting from the road toward the quarry area is a correctional center over the horizon. Warden told me 20 years ago they put new roofs on the building and found 72 rounds on the old roofs. One time a guard found a bullet lodged in his fender. So watch your aim.

Screenshot_20230304-214746.png

Go here on a week day early morning. Shooting from the road toward the quarry area is a correctional center over the horizon. Warden told me 20 years ago they put new roofs on the building and found 72 rounds on the old roofs. One time a guard found a bullet lodged in his fender. So watch your aim.

View attachment 1377420
The picture is a LE approved area to shoot. The area gets patrolled/ drive by, by sheriff's, gamies, warden, forest service workers and fire fighters. In all the days I've been up there they just roll on by. Just good men like us. Good place to go.

May I ask, did you politely and like a man take the time to explain and educate these careless less aware brothers. I have and I've had others in the past educate me. I want to add I had a Sargeant with the Vancouver police dept. take the time to educate me on what could have been a firearms charge.(Not a felon in possesion charge) People respect values of safety.
You had a person that 'should be' informed and in a place of authority educate you.

While I'm a lot country and love the redneck folks - those ballon poppers were most likely from the city and unless asked for your opinion, they generally do not want it or if they even do ask they most of the time will ignore it.

It's hard to fix stupid or teach basic physics.

Just my life experience- ymmv

Last Edited:

View attachment 1377420
That's the Arrowhead Pit, and has it's share of idiots show up on a regular basis, just like pretty much anywhere with easy public access.

It's been the recipient of a number of Trash No Land cleanup efforts, which is one of the major reasons it is in as good shape that it is.

The correction facility is almost two miles away as the crow flies. I highly doubt the bullet holes in those buildings are from the shooting pit. Especially if you have ever witnessed correction officers shooting their qualifiers. They are among the worst shooters in the LEO community. Most of those holes were most likely NDs from the guards themselves.

Last Edited:

View attachment 1377420
That is likely mostly FolkLore, maybe 7 rounds, embellished to keep it to a minimum.
They would close this pit otherwise. There is a lot of People down at corrections.
Warden told me the same story.

As for that pit, it is the worst one I have ever shot at.

Goldenhour, good to see you are still around. 👍

Every time I drive past that spot people are shooting at the rock wall or the same way the road goes so you hear bullets zigging by… and unless you have big tires it's hard to get up there right now, I'm on 37s in my Tacoma and had problems and can't turn around anywhere

Every time I drive past that spot people are shooting at the rock wall or the same way the road goes so you hear bullets zigging by… and unless you have big tires it's hard to get up there right now, I'm on 37s in my Tacoma and had problems and can't turn around anywhere
A freinds brother and freinds go up to the place I described in the dead of night. I didn't ask details.

You had a person that 'should be' informed and in a place of authority educate you.

While I'm a lot country and love the redneck folks - those ballon poppers were most likely from the city and unless asked for your opinion, they generally do not want it or if they even do ask they most of the time will ignore it.

It's hard to fix stupid or teach basic physics.

Just my life experience- ymmv
What you say is absolutely true. At English pit one rainy day a guy told me the story of being on some BLM land in central Oregon. Some strangers as known "range" set up a staggered group of 5 ar500 plates going out a distance walking up close to the shooters position. The closest plate was about 30 feet away. They would start far away working up to the closest one. He told the current shooter with his Ruger Mark lV that the bullet on that plate will bounce back and can hurt or kill. Shooter dismissed it as "bullet has no energy left". And they were drinking. Just as the shooter hit the closest plate he said he felt something like if someone took a stick and whipped it past his pants mid thigh . At first he thought nothing of it but when he looked at his leg it was the size of half a tennis ball as he described. It healed with no complications. I always think of that when I break out my plate as a safety backstop. He just left.

View attachment 1377420
The Arrowhead Pit. If you stand in the pit and look at the top of the berm all the way around, you'll see all the tree tops are mowed down to the height of the berm. It's like someone took a hedge trimmer and trimmed all the trees to the berm height! Way too may people put their targets ON TOP of the berm instead of IN FRONT of it! That's why bullets fly off into the wild blue yonder (or the Corrections Facility) and trim the trees along the way.

I'm kinda tired of constantly cleaning it up, but will do it again. At least most of the graffiti has stayed away since we washed it off a couple years ago.

Next cleanup there will be on April 29th, 2023. It's the annual Pick Up The Burn event where all the recreation groups and general public get together and clean up the whole place in one day. This year should be a great turnout. Details are on the TNL website Events page: https://www.trashnoland.org/2023-pick-up-the-burn-event/

You might get a kick out of this promo vid I put together:
<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="
" title="2023 Pick Up The Burn" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Oh, I'd like to meet that VPD officier sometime! Invite him/her to the cleanup on the 29th!

Bill

Cowlitz county public range is nice, covered, tables. Pretty inexpensive. Goes out to 300yds. It's the only place I can find within an hour of vancouver that is more than 100yds.

I'm shocked at the recommendation for arrowhead pit post 2010. Man I used to go up there a lot as a kid with my cousins before my grandfather cleared out a shooting range on his 12 acres in yacolt.

Arrowhead pit is a sh** show even during the week. Mostly because it's accessible by anything with 4 wheels. Lots of E. Fourth plain folks blasting away up there if you know what I mean......

I drove by there the other day on my 4wheeler. Was ridiculous. Guys setting up their targets by the backstop while others still shooting at their own. Nobody cared. I stopped and watched for a bit just laughing.

I have a really good spot by Jones creek trailhead entrance that is safe and most ppl can't get there. If you have 4 wheel drive and some common sense you'll get there but it's not a super easy path. But it's a super clean area where you can get to about 150 yards. I never see people there. I sight in my rifles there when my buddy is out of town and I can't use his range.

Arrowhead is just a total disaster I'm honestly shocked it hasn't been shut down yet or even worse someone hasn't been killed up there yet.

I've got a sweet spot on Tarbell. For those that aren't familiar the 1100rd off of Dole Valley will get you up there. I can shoot from 650-1000yds. Lots of other areas up there if you just want to shoot 100yds and in. Always looking for shooting buddies that are into the long rang precision shooting. Here's a pic of my 15yr old banging steel at 900yds last weekend. It was almost too easy when the wind cooperates lol.

F1CE286F-B99D-4BC4-8B1B-43D4E22F39EA.jpeg

Last Edited:
I've got a sweet spot on Tarbell. For those that aren't familiar the 1100rd off of Dole Valley will get you up there. I have a spot where I can shoot from 650-1000yds. Lots of other areas up there if you just want to shoot 100yds and in. Always looking for shooting buddies that are into the long rang precision shooting.

View attachment 1457799
If there are no roads, trails or water creek between you and the backstop, nor any trails on the ridge or just behind the ridge, then cool, that's a good place to shoot long distance! (But you gotta keep the target plenty low of the hillside crest to be sure no rounds go over the hill.

OnX Hunt, or Trails, map app can show you where the trail system is. That would be a good piece of evidence if you ever got questioned about shooting there, as you can verify no trails, or other violations, and point out that your target is well within a safe distance from the top.

I'd like to find that spot!

Bill

If there are no roads, trails or water creek between you and the backstop, nor any trails on the ridge or just behind the ridge, then cool, that's a good place to shoot long distance! (But you gotta keep the target plenty low of the hillside crest to be sure no rounds go over the hill.

OnX Hunt, or Trails, map app can show you where the trail system is. That would be a good piece of evidence if you ever got questioned about shooting there, as you can verify no trails, or other violations, and point out that your target is well within a safe distance from the top.

I'd like to find that spot!

Bill
Yea, obviously. I appreciate making sure everyone is using common sense and staying safe but I'm not an idiot. There is a road that goes through the clear cut but it's been dug out at the main road and has multiple log barricades so I'd argue that it's not a maintained road and fair game to shoot on/across.

Last Edited:
Yea, obviously. I appreciate making sure everyone is using common sense and staying safe but I'm not an idiot. There is a road that goes through the clear cut but it's been dug out at the main road and has multiple log barricades so I'd argue that it's not a maintained road and fair game to shoot on/across.
Could be wrong on the situation here but I don't see any exemption if the road is not maintained.

"(b) Persons shall not shoot within, from, along, across, or down roads or trails."

I'd have to dig it up but when my last kid went through hunters safety I vividly remember reading in the WA reg book that hunters are to NOT shoot from or across maintained roads. I don't want argue but by the WAC code you cited it would mean that a 80 year old overgrown skid road with 50ft tall firs in the middle of it would be illegal to shoot on or across. Right or wrong a little common sense can go a long way.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top