JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've just moved from restrictive Portland to much friendlier Washougal and onto 5 acres, but after bringing my guns over here we are a bit unsure what all the rules are.

Does anyone in this area or familiar with this area know what the sign "Restricted Shooting Area" means when you enter Skamania County from Clark in Washougal. I'm just off of Skye Road on the Skamania side and I pass that sign driving to the new house. I can't find any reference to shooting restrictions in Skamania or on the State site - any ideas? and any ideas on any general status of shooting on your property on the Skamania side of Washougal?

Thanks!
Erik

Thanks guys, I am definitely interested in learning about good places around me, but right now I'm just trying to figure out if the restricted shooting area signs mean that I can't target shoot on my land or what. I'm near Skamania mines and hear shooting up there all the time, I'm on Newquist Rd off of Skye and just want to make sure I'm in the clear if I start shooting targets on my 5 acres.

I'd just call the town police or the Sheriff, whichever applies, and get it straight from the source. Saves the awkward "Sorry, officer, the guys on the forum told me it was OK to shoot here" conversation.

A "Restricted Shooting Area" in Skamania Country means you can't hunt a Sasquatch...

Skamania County Ordinance

Ordinance No. 69-01

Be it hereby ordained by the Board of County Commissioners of Skamania County:

Whereas, there is evidence to indicate the possible existence in Skamania County of a nocturnal primate mammal variously described as an ape-like creature or a sub-species of Homo Sapiens; and

Whereas, both legend and purported recent sightings and spoor support this possibility, and

Whereas, this creature is generally and commonly known as a "Sasquatch", "Yeti", "Bigfoot", or "Giant Hairy ape", and has resulted in an influx of scientific investigators as well as casual hunters, many armed with lethal weapons, and

Whereas, the absence of specific laws covering the taking of specimens encourages laxity in the use of firearms and other deadly devices and poses a clear and present threat to the safety and well-being of persons living or traveling within the boundaries of Skamania County as well as to the creatures themselves,

Therefore be it resolved that any premeditated, wilful and wanton slaying of such creature shall be deemed a felony punishable by a fine not to exceed Ten Thousand Dollars ($10,000) and/or imprisonment in the county jail for a period not to exceed Five (5) years.

Be it further resolved that the situation existing constitutes an emergency and as such this ordinance is effective immediately.

ADOPTED this 1st day of April, 1969.

The above ordinance was partially repealed and amended in 1984 by Ordinance 1984-2:

The ordinance was amended to make the crime a gross misdemeanor, punishable by up to one year in the county jail and/or a $1000 fine.

The new ordinance also created a million-acre refuge within the County.

Board of Commissioners of Skamania County

Keith

I'm pretty sure it refers to the fact that you are in the Battleground GMU which is restricted to shotguns and handguns during hunting season.

WAC 232-28-248: Special closures and firearm restriction areas.

1. It is unlawful to hunt wildlife in the following firearm restriction areas with centerfire or rimfire rifles, or to fail to comply with additional firearm restrictions, except as established below.

Skamania That portion of GMU 564 (Battle Ground) in Skamania County.

I'm pretty sure target shooting is fine as long as you are keeping your rounds on your property. You may want to be respectful of your neighbors - sound travels. You don't live far from some awesome shooting areas in the DNR lands and even the Stevenson range isn't that far up Hwy 14.

Thanks for all the replies - I too came across the law about not being able to hunt Sasquatch - my wife was quite disappointed.

I went ahead and called the sheriff about a week ago, sorry I didn't post back sooner, been busy getting moved into the new place. He said that he didn't know about any such sign and would have to drive out this way and check it out, but that I should feel free to safely shoot on my property as much as I'd like. I thought that was a pretty good answer.

I'll definitely check out the DNR lands for shooting the bigger and louder stuff - just shooting a 22 around here, the neighbors all seem pretty comfortable with it, seems like everyone around us is shooting something on Saturdays.

I just checked out the map for the battleground GMU - the borders of it align perfectly with where the signs are, thanks for solving the mystery PBinWA!

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews