JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey fellas.
I come humbly to seek information on the easiest way to ship a firearm via UPS back to a manf. for warranty service.

Admittedly, Ive actually never had to do this (ship a firearm myself). I received the warranty return label via email from the manufacturer.. however I have some questions and seek guidance and UPS was zero help on the phone. Gave general answers but no good details.. I also had a hard time understanding her and decided Id just ask folks who have actually done this on the forum instead.

I read and was told of a "customer service center" being the only locstions that can accept/receive a firearm and ship it off.
Im located in Hillsboro, I drove to what was labeled a "customer service center" out off West Union howeverthe fences and guard gates (unmanned when I rolled up) didnt really give me many options to speak with someone or see if I could ship from that location. I assume thats just a wharehouse and they don't take packages from customers? Was I blind and didnt see where regular customers could pull in? It looked to me like a regular warehouse.

Where is the nearest area to Hillsboro I can actually walk in and ship a rifle from via UPS? Ive heard Tualatin has one but its a PITA to get to during my work week.

Will they have a larger box to house my rifle cardboard box to hide the firearm related wording (as required on their site). Ive looked for large boxes similar to the large one my rifle box came in, but I can't find any locally.. I was hoping UPS has boxes of that size that can house my factory rifle box in there in order to pad, package and ship.

Im writing this between appointments so Im a little scattered brained throughout this post, but any help getting me pointed in the right direction by folks who have actually done this thru UPS would be greatly appreciated.
A flouresent likght tube box will fit most long guns.

Best,
Gary

I don't think UPS will package anything, you have to do that yourself. I could be wrong on this however.

The UPS Stores will pack for you (for a pretty hefty fee) but you can't use them for shipping firearms.

Dang. Sadly my return shipping label is already done for Zastava. I think Ill just pack the absolute hell out of it and make sure it can withstand some harsh tumbles.

Thank you for the additional advice!
What model Zastava? And what needs fixed?

I got a Zastava Zpap M70 earlier this year and have over 1,000 rounds through it, and have ran it pretty hard just to test it out. And have had Zero issues and Zero failures.

I got the barrel so hot last time I took it out the barrel changed colors from black to a Brownish color. Still runs like a champ though.

I have a UPS depot near me and I have had to return a M14 for warranty work. They sent via email a UPS label my M14 included a hard plastic case and I always keep the cardboard box incase I need ship my long guns back for any reason.

What model Zastava? And what needs fixed?

I got a Zastava Zpap M70 earlier this year and have over 1,000 rounds through it, and have ran it pretty hard just to test it out. And have had Zero issues and Zero failures.

I got the barrel so hot last time I took it out the barrel changed colors from black to a Brownish color. Still runs like a champ though.
M90ps. 50 rounds, Runs fine in #2 and #3 setting, its the magwell though.
Common issue I guess with the M90. It was not opened up enough.. makes mag changes a PITA. Luckily its visible what is going on.
Unfortunatly after emailing them, if I trimmed it myself Id void the one year warranty.. so Im having them do it so its all on the up and up and I void nothing. They should have the jigs so its all even.
For $1225+ it should have came finished.
However its been a little difficult emailing them and getting this all taken care of.
The return label they sent had no barcode, so I had to resubmit emails the other day to get them to fix the error. UPS was of no help and they didn't know why the "print receipt" was only partially finished. All around this whole process has taken way too long.

I have a UPS depot near me and I have had to return a M14 for warranty work. They sent via email a UPS label my M14 included a hard plastic case and I always keep the cardboard box incase I need ship my long guns back for any reason.
Thats what Im doing from now on. Keeping a spare rifle box from an online purchase.
I padded the hell out of the factory labeled box, I took @orygun 's advice and got a cheap soft case to further pack the rifle in.
Its the UPS horror stories that have me more concerned with anything. If my rifle is broken or damaged after how well packed it is now, Id be shocked. I ended up getting a guitar case box ($24) and using that as an outer shell box. From now on Ill keep a longerbox and keep it in the closet in case this nonsense comes up again.

This all has certainly been a learning experience.

M90ps. 50 rounds, Runs fine in #2 and #3 setting, its the magwell though.
Common issue I guess with the M90. It was not opened up enough.. makes mag changes a PITA. Luckily its visible what is going on.
Unfortunatly after emailing them, if I trimmed it myself Id void the one year warranty.. so Im having them do it so its all on the up and up and I void nothing. They should have the jigs so its all even.
For $1225+ it should have came finished.
However its been a little difficult emailing them and getting this all taken care of.
The return label they sent had no barcode, so I had to resubmit emails the other day to get them to fix the error. UPS was of no help and they didn't know why the "print receipt" was only partially finished. All around this whole process has taken way too long.
That sucks, just be glad they're not imported by Century any more, I've heard some real horror stories from before Zastava USA was a thing.

Thats what Im doing from now on. Keeping a spare rifle box from an online purchase.
I padded the hell out of the factory labeled box, I took @orygun 's advice and got a cheap soft case to further pack the rifle in.
Its the UPS horror stories that have me more concerned with anything. If my rifle is broken or damaged after how well packed it is now, Id be shocked. I ended up getting a guitar case box ($24) and using that as an outer shell box. From now on Ill keep a longerbox and keep it in the closet in case this nonsense comes up again.

This all has certainly been a learning experience.
I forwarded this comment to UPS and they replied

20211106_140604.jpg

I have shipped from the new UPS hub in Hillsboro. The customer service lobby is open until 6:30pm.

Also, I shipped a handgun to an FFL in Texas with UPS. I shipped it at the Tualatin hub. Packed up in original case, then in a plain box, and packed well for shipping. You do have to declare that it is a firearm, but otherwise no problems.

With UPS or FedEx it must go overnight or 2 day.

An FFL CAN ship a handgun through the Post Office, but regular citizens cannot.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It's Heaven and Hell.....

I have shipped from the new UPS hub in Hillsboro. The customer service lobby is open until 6:30pm.

Also, I shipped a handgun to an FFL in Texas with UPS. I shipped it at the Tualatin hub. Packed up in original case, then in a plain box, and packed well for shipping. You do have to declare that it is a firearm, but otherwise no problems.

With UPS or FedEx it must go overnight or 2 day.

An FFL CAN ship a handgun through the Post Office, but regular citizens cannot.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It's Heaven and Hell.....
Thank you man!

Everyone who has contributed, thank you all very much for the sound advice. Initially this seemed so much more difficult than it needed to be, but some solid tips and first hand advice has guided me through.

The only issue I have now is, Zastava had sent me a partial label, one that UPS could not scan/take. So currently my rifle is properly packed up and awaiting its label but now everything is ready to go.

To anyone that was in my shoes:
*The Hillsboro UPS Customer Services facility does in fact accept firearms! That location saves anyone in the Forest Grove, North Plains, Banks and Hillsboro area a long trip to Swan Island or Tualatin.

*The do not print labels, so all that has to be done ahead of time at your home. They do provide free packing tape, so thats cool.

*Lastly, the customer center is on the back corner of the building. In my hurry to find it, I failed to read the signs (of course). For those in a rush or not detail oriented.. It can be missed and look like its merely a shipping facility with no customer center.

Everyone who has contributed, thank you all very much for the sound advice. Initially this seemed so much more difficult than it needed to be, but some solid tips and first hand advice has guided me through.

The only issue I have now is, Zastava had sent me a partial label, one that UPS could not scan/take. So currently my rifle is properly packed up and awaiting its label but now everything is ready to go.

To anyone that was in my shoes:
*The Hillsboro UPS Customer Services facility does in fact accept firearms! That location saves anyone in the Forest Grove, North Plains, Banks and Hillsboro area a long trip to Swan Island or Tualatin.

*The do not print labels, so all that has to be done ahead of time at your home. They do provide free packing tape, so thats cool.

*Lastly, the customer center is on the back corner of the building. In my hurry to find it, I failed to read the signs (of course). For those in a rush or not detail oriented.. It can be missed and look like its merely a shipping facility with no customer center.
Not being able to scan doesn't matter, the bar code is just a scanable version of the tracking number, I've worked for both fed ex, and the post office, and if a package is un-scannable the receiving clerk just needs to enter the number manually, I was a carrier for USPS, And a truckloader/ dock worker at fed ex, and I can't even guess at how many tracking numbers I've had to enter manually (its a lot though) if your shipping label didn't have a tracking number or bar code then your at an impasse,if you have one or the other your good to go

Not being able to scan doesn't matter, the bar code is just a scanable version of the tracking number, I've worked for both fed ex, and the post office, and if a package is un-scannable the receiving clerk just needs to enter the number manually, I was a carrier for USPS, And a truckloader/ dock worker at fed ex, and I can't even guess at how many tracking numbers I've had to enter manually (its a lot though) if your shipping label didn't have a tracking number or bar code then your at an impasse,if you have one or the other your good to go
The gal working sure made it seem like they couldnt make the tracking number work.
What was odd was, the clickable "receipt" was only half done. It had their address and a tracking number but nothing else.
So she "could" have taken it?!
That would have saved me a headache from Zastava. Now they have to reissue me a return label.

The gal working sure made it seem like they couldnt make the tracking number work.
What was odd was, the clickable "receipt" was only half done. It had their address and a tracking number but nothing else.
So she "could" have taken it?!
That would have saved me a headache from Zastava. Now they have to reissue me a return label.
My experience was working with Fed ex and USPS, but it all works the same, I'm positive they could have taken it, should have made a fuss, and demanded a supervisor, and if they wouldn't help I'd have get the supervisors name and went full on "Karen" and contacted their corporate to complain, it sucks to have to be "that guy" but when I was the guy taking and delivering parcels, I didn't have the luxury of saying " I can't take that, it won't scan" so I'm not letting them off the hook when I'm on the other side of the counter

My experience was working with Fed ex and USPS, but it all works the same, I'm positive they could have taken it, should have made a fuss, and demanded a supervisor, and if they wouldn't help I'd have get the supervisors name and went full on "Karen" and contacted their corporate to complain, it sucks to have to be "that guy" but when I was the guy taking and delivering parcels, I didn't have the luxury of saying " I can't take that, it won't scan" so I'm not letting them off the hook when I'm on the other side of the counter
See thats what I thought was odd.. it had a tracking number and Zastavas address.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top