JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As the title says does anyone know if Sheriff Palmer is headed west soon?

I know he has come to the Puyallup gun shows before, any other shows?

It is a beautiful drive out to Grant County but a lack of time is an issue, Puyallup, Monroe, Portland/Vancouver would be a lot easier.

It is CHL renewal time.

I talked to Glenn (Sheriff Palmer) in Sept and he said that he would be coming over this way before too long. Don't know if he was planning on setting up a time/place to do the CHL thing, but I'll bet he would if asked. He's one of the most Pro 2A guys you'll ever meet.

In September I actually drove to Canyon City and got my Oregon Concealed Handgun License. While there I was informed that I might not be able to renew it there because he's talking about retiring and the person most likely to take his place is an anti gun liberal!!! After making an appointment, driving 400 miles and renting a hotel room for the night I wasn't going to say "oh well, maybe I should go elsewhere"...
What I'm saying here is that 4 years from now you'll have to go through the same "bubblegum" in a different county because he won't be around...

In September I actually drove to Canyon City and got my Oregon Concealed Handgun License. While there I was informed that I might not be able to renew it there because he's talking about retiring and the person most likely to take his place is an anti gun liberal!!! After making an appointment, driving 400 miles and renting a hotel room for the night I wasn't going to say "oh well, maybe I should go elsewhere"...
What I'm saying here is that 4 years from now you'll have to go through the same "bubblegum" in a different county because he won't be around...

An anti-gun liberal becoming Sheriff of Grant County? Grant County, Oregon? I doubt it.

An anti-gun liberal becoming Sheriff of Grant County? Grant County, Oregon? I doubt it.

Yeah. I'd imagine he'd probably plan to retire after one of his term ends. I didn't look at anyrhing but I'll guess that county is real red like most of Eastern Oregon.

I'll bet that Palmer was pulling your leg! Maybe not about the retirement part, but about the liberal part. Grant County and the area around it is no at all likely to elect a liberal Sheriff.

Ok, I'll bite. Why do you have to drive 400 miles to get your CHL? Is western Oregon that hard? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm in WA
I live in Federal Way. I took the Utah endorsement class through Insites Training and Sheriff Palmer was recommended through Insites because he only required "Practicing my 2nd amendment rights as the reasoning behind wanting my Oregon Concealed license. I will say it was an awesome ride, the last 100 miles getting there are excellent.

Ok, I'll bite. Why do you have to drive 400 miles to get your CHL? Is western Oregon that hard? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm in WA

Oregon is MAY ISSUE for non-residents. It is up to the Sheriff of the county you are applying if you will get the CHL or not. Some Sheriff's will not give non-residents a CHL at all. Some will only sometimes give them. You do not get your application fees back if they decide not to give you the CHL. So you can waste a lot of time and money running from county to county trying to get a CHL.

Sheriff Palmer is the only one who WILL give you a non-resident CHL (as long as you pass the checks and requirements).

yeah four years ago I drove there to get my permit and talked to Sheriff Palmer for over an hour, just BS.ing in the office, super nice guy that believes in the 2nd Ammd. and the entire Constitution.

Right now I do not have the time to go, especially on a Wednesday (only day for out of state folks) and they are not taking appointments until the new year, then I can make an appointment.

the lady I talked to did not know if he was coming this way anytime soon.

It will be a sad day for the constitution loving people when he retires, but a good to for him, so he can go enjoy a long retirement after working hard for so long.

Oregon is MAY ISSUE for non-residents. It is up to the Sheriff of the county you are applying if you will get the CHL or not. Some Sheriff's will not give non-residents a CHL at all. Some will only sometimes give them. You do not get your application fees back if they decide not to give you the CHL. So you can waste a lot of time and money running from county to county trying to get a CHL.

Sheriff Palmer is the only one who WILL give you a non-resident CHL (as long as you pass the checks and requirements).

That makes sense then. Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be on the lookout for him also.

You Guys are nuts. just drive down to Columbia County. Right across the river.

I just checked Columbia County's CHL site. For WA residents, it says you must be a frequent traveler through Columbia County and attach a letter providing a "compelling reason" for requesting a CHL. Does anyone know the pat answer for a "compelling reason?" I have a CHL issued by Sheriff Palmer, but it's up for renewal and If I can renew without driving 400 miles, I'd go that route.

I just checked Columbia County's CHL site. For WA residents, it says you must be a frequent traveler through Columbia County and attach a letter providing a "compelling reason" for requesting a CHL. Does anyone know the pat answer for a "compelling reason?" I have a CHL issued by Sheriff Palmer, but it's up for renewal and If I can renew without driving 400 miles, I'd go that route.

I know a guy who lives in Vancouver and works at a gun shop in Washington County and he got Columbia County to issue to him a few weeks ago. If nothing else you can tell them you travel through Columbia County on your way to Astoria to go fishing.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top