JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes, You Can Sharpen Ceramic Blade Knives: Here's How You Do It

or use the option I choose and buy your wife a Buck cutlery set. https://www.buckknives.com/product/13-piece-cutlery-set/0938FAM01/ :) I always get in trouble when I go to sales at the Buck factory.

FWIW my experience sharpening a ceramic knife left me frustrated. I ended up sending a Boker pocket knife back to Boker for sharpening after I gave up, it came back nice and sharp, than I put it in the safe and that's where it lives. No more ceramics for me.:eek:

These days people just let their ceramic knives get blunt to such a degree that they are only good for grinding stuff up.. here's an example.

upload_2018-9-1_3-58-17.jpeg

In a bartender or kitchen guy, you can sharpen them on the rough edge of porcelain, say, undeaneath plates/saucers.

These days people just let their ceramic knives get blunt to such a degree that they are only good for grinding stuff up.. here's an example.

View attachment 494718

That must be what happens when you sharpen them IN a bartender or kitchen guy!!

Caligula would be impressed! :s0001:

I wasn't aware that ceramic knife blades could be sharpened. Broken, yes. Sharpened? No.

Broken yes! She went to teach a co-worker and his huntin' buddies how to clean ducks and broke one.

I may just ditch them. I can get a decent enough, lite enough, inexpensive enough knife to do that.
5-in ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.shocho.co%2Fsc-image%2Fa%2F3%2F2%2Fb%2Fa32b7212805d9bab3d1250611ca2a247.jpg
6-in
7-in
8-in @ $36

I did find a video on U-tuby for using a WorkSharp and diamond belt.
Ceramic Knife Sharpening Kit

View attachment 494718
That is a nice looking mortar and pestle. Do you get enough grip to grind hard seeds, herbs etc ( ie pepper corns ) ? Mine is more un-finished on the inside, and made of stone.

That is a nice looking set and they are available with Prime.
But should I be better off investing in traditional stone rather than diamond whetstones?

That is a nice looking set and they are available with Prime.
But should I be better off investing in traditional stone rather than diamond whetstones?

Diamond for sharpening ceramic. I've heard to not use diamond on steel because diamond is carbon and some of the carbon gets in the steel making it more brittle but I dont know if that is true.

TBH, I was never impressed with ceramic knives. they seemed to " wedge " through whatever I was cutting. It was more like cutting with a axe blade then a knife.

Diamond for sharpening ceramic. I've heard to not use diamond on steel because diamond is carbon and some of the carbon gets in the steel making it more brittle but I dont know if that is true.

hmmm. I have not heard that. I have heard it is not as easy to find a polish level stone - ie over 2000, with diamond.

But, there are a million opinions on U-tuby.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews