JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've heard of people doing so but I use electric clippers that get really close and only shave my face once or twice a week (or not at all in fall).

I use a different set of clippers to get close to bald on my head but I gave up razor shaving a long time ago.

The only time I use a razor is prior to tattoo work and then it's a one use item and gets tossed after.

I could most likely use it a few more times but it's tradition now and considering what the art is worth, it's not worth chancing a burn or cut from a used Mach 3.

Cartridge razors? I thought those were for sissies and ladies legs. Straight razor is all a man needs... and sometimes a bar of soap for those special occasions when he wants to feel extra purdy.

Cartridge razors? I thought those were for sissies and ladies legs. Straight razor is all a man needs... and sometimes a bar of soap for those special occasions when he wants to feel extra purdy.

I realize this is joking around, but in various experiments with razors in early adulthood, I did the straight razor thing for a spell. While not nearly as convenient as other methods, it did produce a very close shave indeed. I didn't stay with it and finally accepted the "terms of surrender" which was growing a beard. (My beard is very thick, likely due to Mediterranean genetics, and required shaving twice a day if I was going out in the evening.)

Still, I figure it might work as an improvised weapon, so hung on to it. :s0112:

straight.jpg

I realize this is joking around, but in various experiments with razors in early adulthood, I did the straight razor thing for a spell. While not nearly as convenient as other methods, it did produce a very close shave indeed. I didn't stay with it and finally accepted the "terms of surrender" which was growing a beard. (My beard is very thick, likely due to Mediterranean genetics, and required shaving twice a day if I was going out in the evening.)

Still, I figure it might work as an improvised weapon, so hung on to it. :s0112:

View attachment 599245

It was joking, but the truth of it is that I do shave with a straight razor (and soap) daily for the last 60 or so years. But, I'm old (76 next month) and that's the way my dad taught me to shave. Still using the same razor he bought me.

I stopped shaving a few years ago after an IDGAF milepost occurred while on foreign soil. Just keep it trimmed short now with a cheap Walgreens trimmer. I don't know how you mountain men and lumberjacks deal with that neck beard dealio. I can't really stand it beyond a 1/4" or so. I had another IDGAF last fall and I stopped getting haircuts. Pony tail is coming in nicely. I've been getting short haircuts for the last 30 years since I ETS'd. Time to move on. Why? Because IDGAF.

Yeah, I transitioned to safety razors with the traditional lather and the whole package. It makes for a closer shave, albeit more time consuming.

Vikings Blades makes good stuff.

I tried a safety razor for six weeks. I wanted to like it. I really did. But who in the hell has time for them? Lather, shave up. Lather again, shave down. Lather again shave sideways. No thanks!

Been a safety razor guy my entire shaving carrier! Usually a Parker with ether Feather or Merkur blades! Some times when im feelin extra handsome i switch to a Gillette adjustable from the early 50s with a Wilkinson Sword blade, and im good to go!
I have two difderent mechanical strops that work amazingly well extending blade life to about double, which is about 2 weeks on a factory blade! :)

I tried a safety razor for six weeks. I wanted to like it. I really did. But who in the hell has time for them? Lather, shave up. Lather again, shave down. Lather again shave sideways. No thanks!

I hear you and I realize it's not for everyone. On gym days before work I will use a disposable blade with cheap shaving cream the gym provides, but on regular days I go through the entire litany of safety razor shaving. I have a badger hair brush, bowl, and sandalwood shaving cream. It takes longer but it's so much more enjoyable, at least for me, and it gives me an unparalleled shave.

I hear you and I realize it's not for everyone. On gym days before work I will use a disposable blade with cheap shaving cream the gym provides, but on regular days I go through the entire litany of safety razor shaving. I have a badger hair brush, bowl, and sandalwood shaving cream. It takes longer but it's so much more enjoyable, at least for me, and it gives me an unparalleled shave.

That was not my experience. It took three times as long and didn't shave as good as my old school Atra cartridge...which has a lot less risk. And I tried several different blades...because, "you have to find YOUR blade," of course. :rolleyes:

Why people use safety razors is beyond me. But if it works for you, more power to you. :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top