JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, for me, i have skin like sand paper and boiled leather, so the cartridge or disposables simply don't work for me, and shave stuff in a can, might as well shave dry! Switched to a Safety razor and never looked back!
Most savvy folks "Cocktail" their shave soap with oils, and other herbs like mint which helps the blade G-L-I-D-E effortlessly through your stubble! Some times it takes experimenting with various blends to find just the right set up for you!
There are also several techniques to tje shave its self that really improve the quality and lesson the effort!
I can get such a shave that no aftershave is needed!

That was not my experience. It took three times as long and didn't shave as good as my old school Atra cartridge...which has a lot less risk. And I tried several different blades...because, "you have to find YOUR blade," of course. :rolleyes:

Why people use safety razors is beyond me. But if it works for you, more power to you. :)
I have the slant safety blade with feather blades. It doesn't take that long to lather up. In fact, it takes longer for the water to heat up than it does yup lather.

I thought I knew what a safety razor is, but I guess I don't.

Back when I shaved, roughly 45 years ago, I would put a blade into the razor, screw it down and shave. When the blade dulled, I would slap in a new one. Easy.

It wasn't a straight razor as it wasn't 1850 when I started shaving.

So, what's a safety razor? One with a blade already in it, right?

Yes, No?

And what's the big deal some to think shaving is?

You scrape whiskers off your face. Big deal. (or not in my case) It ain't rocket stuff...

I hear you and I realize it's not for everyone. On gym days before work I will use a disposable blade with cheap shaving cream the gym provides, but on regular days I go through the entire litany of safety razor shaving. I have a badger hair brush, bowl, and sandalwood shaving cream. It takes longer but it's so much more enjoyable, at least for me, and it gives me an unparalleled shave.
^^^This...

I went to a safety razor four years ago, purchased the razor and a hundred blades, paid a whopping 8.00 for the blades, still have 40 of the original hundred blades left. And I shave 3X a week and holidays.... I like Dorco ST-301 blades.

I thought I knew what a safety razor is, but I guess I don't.

Back when I shaved, roughly 45 years ago, I would put a blade into the razor, screw it down and shave. When the blade dulled, I would slap in a new one. Easy.

It wasn't a straight razor as it wasn't 1850 when I started shaving.

So, what's a safety razor? One with a blade already in it, right?

Yes, No?

And what's the big deal some to think shaving is?

You scrape whiskers off your face. Big deal. (or not in my case) It ain't rocket stuff...

Yep, that's pretty much a safety razor.

Shaving isn't a big deal at all in the grand scheme of one's life, but this thread is about shaving, so there we have it.

I tried traditional safety razor wet shaving after a friend recommended it. I get why some people think it's too time consuming, but for me it works well.

Well, for me, i have skin like sand paper and boiled leather, so the cartridge or disposables simply don't work for me, and shave stuff in a can, might as well shave dry! Switched to a Safety razor and never looked back!
Most savvy folks "Cocktail" their shave soap with oils, and other herbs like mint which helps the blade G-L-I-D-E effortlessly through your stubble! Some times it takes experimenting with various blends to find just the right set up for you!
There are also several techniques to tje shave its self that really improve the quality and lesson the effort!
I can get such a shave that no aftershave is needed!
Creamo shave cream, apply with a brush, more water makes it more slippery...
CE7E8B01-F04B-437C-8075-8D1534CBDA13.jpeg

AshW,

I understand, but have to laugh at some guys who exalt and bang on about the virtues of shaving with this or that or the other, like shaving is some sort of quasi religion.

What next?

Said in a deep baritone: "I use limb loppers on my nails" as regular nail clippers are ever so gauche, then I apply a soothing, fragrant, camomile tea balm solution on my freshly manicured nails, which btw is also good for my chapped elbows...far better than ordinary moisturizer...

My friend Lance, wink, really adores the results.

Toodles.

AshW,

I understand, but have to laugh at some guys who exalt and bang on about the virtues of shaving with this or that or the other, like shaving is some sort of quasi religion.

What next?

Said in a deep baritone: "I use limb loppers on my nails" as regular nail clippers are ever so gauche, then I apply a soothing, fragrant, camomile tea balm solution on my freshly manicured nails, which btw is also good for my chapped elbows...far better than ordinary moisturizer...

My friend Lance, wink, really adores the results.

Toodles.

To be completely honest, I was just counting down when someone would start this bubblegum. :rolleyes:

You just wait Manny, I'm starting up a quilting thread next! o_O

Last Edited:
I walk into my bathroom, open a drawer, pull out a razor from a pack of 100 I bought at Costco for $10, look at my ruggedly handsome face in the mirror and begin shaving. 47 seconds later I am done.
This isn't a problem in quantum mechanics folks. It's shaving.
I'd hate to see the rituals some people go through trimming their fingernails.
Step #1........Fire up 5000 megawatt laser..............

I walk into my bathroom, open a drawer, pull out a razor from a pack of 100 I bought at Costco for $10, look at my ruggedly handsome face in the mirror and begin shaving. 47 seconds later I am done.
This isn't a problem in quantum mechanics folks. It's shaving.
I'd hate to see the rituals some people go through trimming their fingernails.
Step #1........Fire up 5000 megawatt laser..............
Laser?!?!?! Pffffffffft.... I use a rail gun....

OK Ash,

I prefer knitting over quilting. Ok, I don't know the first thing about knitting, but back when my Great/Great Grandfather was a sea captain, all sailors knitted. Mostly they knitted wool gloves, hats and sweaters, that is cold water wear that kept you warm even when wet. Knitting was accepted in those days as a honorable male thing to do by sea faring folk.

Sadly, as a crusty old guy, I see 'metros' everywhere.

You know, young narcissistic guys deeply into...themselves. Not gay, just into being very involved with body stuff like, lotions, cologne, brightly colored scarves, expensive shoes (never boots) while adopting contempt for traditional male pursuits like hunting and fishing.

Some of these males (I wouldn't call them 'men') even, gag, wear makeup. I'm not being hyperbolic.

I see them as neutered, fay, sissies, who cry if they get dirty and would run in panic at the site of a chainsaw or heaven forbid, have to defend themselves.

Did I mention they're not gay?

These guys have my profound sympathy. Many are probably raised by a doting, single Mother who convinced them to let their female side...speak.

Now, where that there 'quiltin bee'?

I don't understand the distain of some for the shaving routines or rituals of others. I say to each their own. I personally like to take the time, it's one of few occasions, in my busy days, I'm not doing for others.

Can't imagine if this was a mouse gun thread...

Shaving...'rituals'?

ah, ok...

I did mention shaving as a quasi-religion, I think...probably why I quit.

I'm a 'shaving' atheist.

Disdain (love that word) foppery of all sorts.

Need/Want to shave?

Have at it. I choose to remain 'hirsutely adorned'. How can I look like a knuckle dragging gun nut if I'm smoothy shaved?

Me, I can't be bothered, nor use hair oil (well, just because I don't have any is beside the point) cologne, or anoint myself with potions and lotions.

If you want to get some serious longevity out of a disposable or cartridge razor, run it it backwards along a towel several times before shaving (while it's dry). Easy way to get months of shaves out of it. No need to spend money on fancy gear or more disposables.

Having learned to shave on a Gilette "El Presidente" safety razor, I'll eventually return to using one. When it comes to a great after-shave, it is either Aqua Velva or Ed. Pinaud's Clubman. It smells as if you have just stepped from a barber shop. Ed. Pinaud's Clubman (since 1810).

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top