JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
  • 4. Flaming is prohibited.Also known as bashing, flaming is defined as hostile and insulting interaction between members, often involving the use of profanity.
You're talking out both sides of your mouth Ben. You must be running for office.
That quote is a part of what you started with, and now you're claiming bikers neither want nor need those bike lanes/facilities/infrastructure, and that the money spent has been done so by others, and not at your and your fellow riders' behest.

So much for "let 'er rip" eh?

Y'all are a demanding bunch.
Demand the money, demand the inconvenience of drivers, demand the laws, demand that we accept you and your traffic hazard ways, and then demand that we go elsewhere to voice our displeasure, after you post an invitation for discussion.
You should apply for a job with the DNC.

Have a nice day.

Reeeech, eh?

Bicyclists pay taxes like everyone else. We're not somehow a different species living amongsteth the mortals, immune from taxation. Why should I have to pay for your freeways and bridges? Why should I have to pay for your rumble strips (that nearly kill me sometimes)? Why should I have to pay for your air pollution? Why should I have to pay for your food stamps? Why should I have to pay for your subsidized solar panels? Why should I have to pay for your drainage? Why should I have to pay for your kids to go to school? Why should I have to pay for your sports arena? Why should I have to pay for your building inspectors? Why should I have to pay for your Oregon Health Plan? Why should I have to pay for your military? Why should I have to pay for your sundogs and boondoggles? Why should I have to pay for your pleasant thoughts and green grass? Why should I have to pay for your polished brass belt buckle? Why should I have to pay for your boogers on my wall?

Why don't I care, so long as my life is rich, my health is good, my city is safe, my air is breathable, there's food in my tummy, and I know tomorrow will be better than today?

Infrastructure costs money, and we all pay taxes. We DON'T pay taxes proportional to our use- we just pay taxes, period. Big super smart elite people (just like you!) in taxpayer-funded offices wearing taxpayer-funded suits decide where our money goes; we just enjoy, or resent, the decisions they make. If you don't like where they allocate the money, there are avenues for you to follow. Including trying to get bikes licensed, if you want to pursue that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa up a little Ben, you asked and they answered. I have found that to ask an opinion of oneself or passion to expect answers that may or may not be what one wanted to hear.
Last year I witnessed a group of cyclists here on the coast that went from the bike lane on the right diagonally across the road causing a woman and her child to swerve to avoid them, she rolled over into the tidal marsh and flipped her car and the child drowned before anyone could get to her. They caused the accident and then fled.
Later after fire and police arrived i continued on into the small town while covered in mud from attempting to help and noticed the group hiding under cover off the road in the tidal area. I returned and contacted one of the sheriff's on site and directed him to their location.

They tried to deny any involvement but were identified by myself and another witness. Eventually the cyclist that had cut across and caused the accident was pointed out by fellow cyclists, then arrested and charged. His attitude was indicative of someone that felt they were not at fault, I wonder if that will change while he serves the five year sentence he received.

I believe we should have bike lanes, but there should be fees paid via bike plates to pay for them and ALL laws adhered to that apply to vehicles, as well a more intensive pursuant for breakage of those laws, and this goes for both cyclists and motor vehicles.

I'm not at all saying that all or most cyclists are like the person that created the wreck, but you know as well as I that we're all judged by the actions of those among us as a group. If you don't believe this just think about all the private property closed to hunters and shooters that was caused by the actions of a relative few in our sport. Perhaps a little leading by example or possibly speaking out when it it observed among those you know. Because once a persons mind has been changed to one side or the other it takes three times the effort to sway them the other way.

I'd like to pitch something out to all you car and truck drivers complaining about bikes. The foundation of the economic strength of our country partially lies on cheap and plentiful energy. Of which gasoline/oil products is a significant part of. I don't want to delve into the history and argue it, if you disagree you're wrong. A great starter book is "The Prize" by Daniel Yergin. Great book. If you read that and after reflection choose to argue, I'd be down with that but if you would accept that premise I'll continue with a few more points as it relates to oils importance.

We see US military invested and positioned worldwide due to that single idea. The billions wasted to invade Iraq and the deaths of so many is part of that equation. (I said part) It was part of the Afgani invasion (again, I said part- google Afghanistan pipeline or research the fact that both Condolisa Rice and George Schultz were Chevron board members if you don't agree). Gas and oil is a huge geopolitical chess piece that directly affects American positions in the world. The revival of Russia in many ways is due to finds of oil and gas and the exploitation of same. Look for a moment to the South China sea and the US "pivot to Asia" that is due to resource finds there. I'm not being negative or dissing things here, Oil is a critical and valuable component to each and every one of our financial happiness one way or the other every damned day of our lives. It's that big. It's that significant.

You and me, that is: Mr and Mrs America vehicle driver, owes every damned bicyclist a huge thank you as their mileage racked up with out petroleum helps the supply demand curve on your side and keeps prices down. Plentiful gas will help keep us out of wars and our economy will improve as the budget balances due to less military spending. Even the air we breath will be better. The more bikes we have, the better you and I, all of us including all of the drivers, will be. So just like when you see a bunch of kids crossing the road. They choose to walk and we will just have to slow down for them. Lets all slow down and keep and eye out for bicyclists. Errant or honest, they all helping the entire country.

Last Edited:
Wow how did I miss flapping my gums on this one...

I personally am more than willing to share the road with the bicyclist, As long as there not out far enough for my mirrors to hit them or my duallys to pull them under or cause me to slow down or stop for them or... they will be OK, I'm not going into the other lane of oncoming traffic to accommodate someone choosing to cycle on a asininely small road/ highway either (See HWY 20).

That dude's in violation of 815.280: Violation of bicycle equipment requirements; penalty.

Can't blow a whistle on bike. Bells, horns, tickers, chimes, all ok.... whistles and sirens not allowed.

Roads were originally built for Bicycles and Horses Not cars. So a car was not even thought of when the originally built roads in this country...

Just because you pay a tax does not mean you are responsible for what is done with that Tax or does it This is Troll bait I'm just warning ya

Roads were originally built for Bicycles and Horses Not cars. So a car was not even thought of when the originally built roads in this country...

Correction - roads originally built before about 1910 were designed for horse, foot, and bicycle traffic. Those roads were subsequently redesigned to meet automobile standards, and all roads after that (all roads built in the last ONE HUNDRED YEARS) were designed primarily for automobile traffic (or in the case of the Interstate system for tanks).

Also, roads were being built in this country prior to the bicycle...

What exactly was your point here? We should be limited to horse or goat traffic based on when the road was built?

As far as I'm concerned a bicycle is like any other traffic and as long as the cyclist follows the traffic rules like anyone else I don't have any issues (nor should I). The majority of cyclists I see do follow the rules, but significantly more of them than car drivers do not. It would be great if there was a lot more enforcement of violations for wrong way violations and running lights and stop signs. My biggest gripe is the number of times I've had a cyclist buzz closely past me from behind when I'm on the sidewalk.

"Share the road" means that bicyclists can and will do anything they want while riding their bikes, completely ignoring stop signs and any other inconvenient traffic rules that annoy them, while people in cars must drive AND keep a vigilant watch for people on bikes who are ignoring the rules of the road.

That about sum it up?

Last Edited:
This is currently making its rounds on FB. I think it's right on point.

stopsign_zps79ad2ee0.png

I'm sure the spandex mafia feels discriminated because just ask them, they are superior.

If I may steer this debate a bit - what exactly do you have against bicycles? There are so many things you have to pay for that are exponentially more expensive than bike lanes - how many millions of miles of road out there do you pay for that you'll never drive on? Painted bike lanes probably only make up like a 1/100th of the total ODOT budget every year. Let's not even start on SNAP said:
I don't have anything against bicycles. However, bicyclists are generally arrogant, holier than thou, look at me I don't pollute and "Wow, I'm great for riding a bike!" Most of them don't care at all for the laws of the road and somehow feel they have the right of way regardless of the situation. When one of them really screws up (as we see on the news from time to time) and gets crushed by a bus, it is always blamed on the driver who usually turns out to have done nothing wrong. If you want to see the largest collection of jerks in one place at one time, get stuck behind a Critical Mass ride on the way home some time. As far as me slowing down so you can ride your bike where it doesn't belong; why should I? I hate getting behind the car driver who does 20 mph in a 35 mph zone, why would I like you any better? Because you're on a bike?

And you are freeloaders. As others have said, when you drive your car and pay gas taxes, you are paying for the roads to drive your car. If you ride a bike you are freeloading. Pay a few hundred a year in "bike taxes" and I will feel differently.

Bicycles are great, SOME of the city or distance rider are what are not and make it hard to tolerate them. I have not met one serious cyclists that didn't feel some special rights, treatment and general self righteous was absolute and given. And those pesky road laws are for the automobile.
So nothing against the bicycle here...

So,, today I'm on my way down Mt.Scott blvd after my Mothers funeral service heading east. While going through the school zone (20 mph) there was a cyclist ahead of us cooking along at way over 20 through the school zone,, and I'll be damned if he didn't get tagged by the police coming out the other side!
I needed a good smile at the time.

I talked to a guy today that had half a windshield on his Honda Goldwing motorcycle.
Seems that a bicycle rider this morning was speeding down a sidewalk on the wrong side of the road, when the motorcycle pulled out of his driveway, looked left, then as he moved forward, he looked right, then a bike slammed into his front end.
The cyclist went to the hospital.
He tried to claim it was the motorcycle's fault, but the cop cited the bicyclist for two infractions.
One question came up was whether the cyclist would pay for the damages, as they don't have collision insurance, so, if he makes a claim on his motorcycle policy would they raise his rates, or be forced to go to small claim court to recoup the damages.

So,, today I'm on my way down Mt.Scott blvd after my Mothers funeral service heading east. While going through the school zone (20 mph) there was a cyclist ahead of us cooking along at way over 20 through the school zone,, and I'll be damned if he didn't get tagged by the police coming out the other side!
I needed a good smile at the time.
Sorry about your loss, my condolences to you and your family.

Status

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads