JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
through an FFL and there may be a waiting period involved depending on the state. Not sure but it may have to be shipped via common carrier to the FFL in the buyers state too.

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

Any paper work involved or do i just ship it off to the ffl? And is paypal the best way to go for payment?

Here's the best way to do it:

1) The buyer pays you. I like USPS money orders, they are easy to get and easy to cash. Other money orders (like Western Union) tend to have problems with fakes/counterfeits. Paypal is okay, but remember that Paypal is anti-gun and they will shut down your account for gun-related transactions. Certified checks / cashiers checks are okay, and personal checks are a last resort (wait 2+ weeks to insure that the check completely clears).

2) The buyer selects his local FFL dealer.

3) The buyer's FFL dealer may or may not accept transfers from non-FFL holders. There's no legal requirement here, but some FFLs just don't like handling transfers from non-FFLs. Ask the buyer if his FFL will accept transfers from non-FFL holders.

4) If the buyer's FFL will accept transfers from non-FFL holders, then the handgun can be sent directly from you to the buyer's FFL. But it must be done overnight via UPS or Fedex. USPS Priority mail is a no-no. This is pretty pricey ($50-60). You'll want to insure it for the full value of the gun. In addition, the buyer's FFL may require additional ID or documentation from you, such as a photocopy of drivers license or something similar. Make sure you include the buyer's name and contact information in the package so the FFL can contact the buyer. Make sure you get a copy of the buyer's FFL and verify the validity of the FFL. To avoid hassles, take the handgun to a main hub/depot, not the local Fedex/Kinkos or UPS Store.

5) If the buyer's FFL WILL NOT accept transfers from non-FFL holders, then you need a local FFL to handle the transfer. Most will charge a fee in addition to the shipping cost. The shipping cost will likely be cheaper, as FFLs can ship using USPS or other non-overnight methods.

1) The buyer pays you. I like USPS money orders, they are easy to get and easy to cash. Other money orders (like Western Union) tend to have problems with fakes/counterfeits. Paypal is okay, but remember that Paypal is anti-gun and they will shut down your account for gun-related transactions. Certified checks / cashiers checks are okay, and personal checks are a last resort (wait 2+ weeks to insure that the check completely clears).

3) The buyer's FFL dealer may or may not accept transfers from non-FFL holders. There's no legal requirement here, but some FFLs just don't like handling transfers from non-FFLs. Ask the buyer if his FFL will accept transfers from non-FFL holders.

4) If the buyer's FFL will accept transfers from non-FFL holders, then the handgun can be sent directly from you to the buyer's FFL. But it must be done overnight via UPS or Fedex. USPS Priority mail is a no-no. This is pretty pricey ($50-60). You'll want to insure it for the full value of the gun. In addition, the buyer's FFL may require additional ID or documentation from you, such as a photocopy of drivers license or something similar. Make sure you include the buyer's name and contact information in the package so the FFL can contact the buyer. Make sure you get a copy of the buyer's FFL and verify the validity of the FFL. To avoid hassles, take the handgun to a main hub/depot, not the local Fedex/Kinkos or UPS Store.

5) If the buyer's FFL WILL NOT accept transfers from non-FFL holders, then you need a local FFL to handle the transfer. Most will charge a fee in addition to the shipping cost. The shipping cost will likely be cheaper, as FFLs can ship using USPS or other non-overnight methods.

I think you have to take it to a hub/depot. The local drop off locations can't accept it as I remember.

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

Agreed very good info.

as mentioned most hubs won't/don't take firearms if they are declared

since YOU have to ship overnight, I have found it cheaper to ship from an FFL using USPS Priority to the receiving FFL

Im in the proccess of selling a Handgun, The ffl im using is charging me $20.00 plus shipping which they can ship threw the Mail (USPS), About $11.00 for a Small to Medium handgun, Good Luck!

You asked about PayPal. Not a good Idea. You can purchase firearm related items such as holsters and scopes using PayPal as your payment method but PayPal strictly forbids payment for any firearm. Trouble will follow if you do so.

I have had a PayPal account for several years now and have not had any issues with sending payment to people. I have used PP to send money for these items and they have no idea of what you are sending the money for. You send it as a gift and there are no fees either. Super fast and easy way to pay for something with protection. You can send payment and email your FFL in minutes and your item can be shipped the next day. My 2 cents.

Good info.

I always require an ink signed copy of the buyer's dealer's FFL and payment by only USPS Money Order and ship directly from me to the FFL via UPS Air (for handgun).

Payment by USPS Money Order because they can buy the Money Order anyplace in the country, I can take it to my local post office, verify its authenticity and cash it. I've been paid. Don't have to wait for a check to clear or try to verify something from The First Alligator Bank of Florida or some such foolishness.

Once I've been paid I ship the gun via UPS (overnight for handguns and ground for everything else). I declare exactly what it is and insure for the full value. The cost of shipping is on the buyer. I use UPS as it is "corporate" and they are very through. FedEx Air is also corporate, but FedEx ground is a franchise and I've had problems with that (ship FedEx Ground, package is lost, now I'm in a fight with them as the franchised carrier says they delivered it and FedEx corporate won't pay up). Used to run a shipping/receiving department and saw this happen a lot. UPS just takes care of it. USPS... package goes down the hole and hopefully winds up where it's supposed to; had them deliver a handgun to an old lady's house once.

Now, I don't work at a place where we have an FFL any longer, so the buyer's FFL has to be OK with receiving firearms from and out-of-state private person and also has to be OK with sending me that ink-signed copy of their FFL. It is legal for me to ship the firearm without having a copy of the FFL, but I'll not do it. If the buyer's FFL will not accept transfers from non-FFL holders, the buyer needs to find a different FFL holder. If the buyer can't meet those criteria (it is outlined in my auctions) the sale will not be completed.

I think you have to take it to a hub/depot. The local drop off locations can't accept it as I remember.
The local UPS Stores and whatnot CAN accept firearms, but choose not to. They are another franchise and although the carrier allows it, they tend to make up their own rules and refuse to ship firearm related items. The big corporate Hubs do ship firearms.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top