JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"
"No-Cause" Notice for Periodic Tenancies
In a month-to-month tenancy, the landlord need only give 30-days notice without any cause for eviction. If the tenant has lived in the property for more than one year, the notice is 60-days. If the property is being sold to someone who plans to live there as a primary residence, it is 30-days."

Most agencies take around 10% monthly, 50% of first months for a new renter.
Though it is good to know exactly as there are other ways.
I have found that the management agency I use has gotten me about 10-15% more in rent than I seemed to be able to get so it ends up being a wash. I'm still making the same each month as I was and have gotten rid of a lot of the headaches I used to have with finding tenants and managing them when there was a problem.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking it would be more! When we bought the house in 2001 we had the cash for a large down payment. At this point we could almost make enough in rent to cover another house payment, somewhere else away from PDX!

"
"No-Cause" Notice for Periodic Tenancies
In a month-to-month tenancy, the landlord need only give 30-days notice without any cause for eviction. If the tenant has lived in the property for more than one year, the notice is 60-days. If the property is being sold to someone who plans to live there as a primary residence, it is 30-days."

That is likely for Oregon, Washington State is 20 days period for both landlord or tenant. Not sure about Idaho.
This is one of the reasons almost no one uses more than month to month leases anymore unless they are required by the feds. That way its much easier to get rid of deadbeats.

Haven't had a chance to read all responses, was working at the rental all day today. Turns out they had smashed in the bathroom door and covered it with a poster. It costs me about $16 to send her to collections. I don't need to get a judgement. If she wants to contest it she has to take me to court and I have an airtight lease, property condition report, before and after pictures, every email and text ever sent to me, as well as the body cam footage from each visit.

Actually, to whoever said 24 hours, the notice period for entry is 48 hours, unless you are showing a unit to a prospective tenant in which case it's 24 hours. Exigent circumstances to protect my property don't require notice, I have a right to entry immediately...

I didn't need to give her notice in this case since her legal right to possession ended at midnight on the last day of November. I have several texts and the video as evidence of her occupation beyond that as well as two neighbors that saw it go down and hated her, she was apparently a problem for them too.

I carry a copy of the lease for each property I visit with me just in case the cops get involved.

BTW, she texted me another insult today. I'm really going to enjoy sending this stupid idiot to collections. In WA state I am considered a creditor and I have lot's of evidence of her damage, behavior, etc. She will owe me several thousand dollars for painting, a door that needs to be replaced after being smashed in, etc. I guess she is too dumb to realize that I can screw he credit up real bad and she is going to have a hard time renting or even buying from now on...

As much as I would like to rub my financial success in her face of mediocrity, I don't want to risk helping her paint me in a bad light. Sticking to the facts, will just send her the itemized accounting of what I deducted from her deposit within 21 days via certified mail and an itemized accounting of the 2K she owes me for damages and cleanup. Then when she inevitably doesn't pay, off to collections she goes. Enjoy!

That is likely for Oregon, Washington State is 20 days period for both landlord or tenant. Not sure about Idaho.
This is one of the reasons almost no one uses more than month to month leases anymore unless they are required by the feds. That way its much easier to get rid of deadbeats.
Correct, WA is 20 days if MTM. In this case she gave notice. The irony that she gave notice but couldn't move out even days after she was supposed to be out. Then she insults me after she trashed my house, a house I paid cash for when I was her age.:rolleyes: What a moron...

I had a women call me from the downtown Portland Justice Center, telling me she would be late to pick up the rental application because her boyfriend hadn't been released yet.

Oh brother, I'd bet you and I could swap stories like this ALL day. I've had child molesters try to rent from me, armed robbers released from prison, recently evicted people, etc. I had a person email me just a year ago for another rental that they just got evicted and are living out of their car but they got a new job as a waitress at Denny's and make 1K a month! (rent is almost 2K a month). What's sad is these leeches suck up all the police resources and resources in general. All paid for by our tax dollars.:mad:

In any case, tally for repairs minus her deposit leaves a 1K+ balance owing. I guess she doesn't think past the tip of her nose about her credit. The absolutely worst tenants I've had all had scores below 600. Have yet to have a problem with anyone with say, a 700+ credit score. Those kinds of tenants have always left the place better after moving out than when they moved in.

I'm selling a home soon when I consolidate with my bride to be. More than a few people have advised me to keep the house and rent it out as a source of income. Gave it some thought and decided I'm still going to sell.

After Moldnomah Country is done raping me for $6000 every year (and heading higher each time), I don't want to add bills for new roofs, carpets, water heater, furnace, AC, etc., etc., etc. Add those foreseeable potential expenses to odd random stuff, and I'm just not seeing enough daylight there. Maybe if it was a duplex or apartments...

While I'm sure there are cool renters out there (most), I just don't need the aggravation if I end up (like some here) with tenants from hell.

Last Edited:
Years ago I worked for a gentleman that would write up a lease option to own rental agreement with new tenants.
He would give them three years to come up with a down payment, and he would match that amount with part of their rent he had set aside in an escrow account.

Most renters moved away before they saved the down payment, but they always left the property as good if not better then when they moved in, as they felt it was going to be theirs some day.

Pride of future ownership was not the main idea to his offering this type of rental agreement, his real agenda for offering this contract deal was income tax avoidance, because he had purposely tucked away a portion of the rent into an escrow account that wasn't taxable as income, but did generate interest.

If the renters didn't come up with the down payment three years later, he used the escrow money for buying another house.

Years ago I worked for a gentleman that would write up a lease option to own rental agreement with new tenants.
He would give them three years to come up with a down payment, and he would match that amount with part of their rent he had set aside in an escrow account.

Most renters moved away before they saved the down payment, but they always left the property as good if not better then when they moved in, as they felt it was going to be theirs some day.

Pride of future ownership was not the main idea to his offering this type of rental agreement, his real agenda for offering this contract deal was income tax avoidance, because he had purposely tucked away a portion of the rent into an escrow account that wasn't taxable as income, but did generate interest.

If the renters didn't come up with the down payment three years later, he used the escrow money for buying another house.

This theory called a lease option is a myth of people who like to sell real estate seminars. They don't take better care of it because they think they will own it some day. Yes, most will never buy, but in reality their "sense of ownership" means that they will trash the place even more thinking they can do whatever they want, despite the lease terms. If you saw what my tenants have done to places they you would have no doubt their carelessness would increase tenfold. I know from experience, not because I read it online or on a forum.

The reality is people making 30-50K a year with a 500-600 credit score are not the most upstanding citizens. Yes, credit score and income are a determination of behavior. My one and only good tenant in the history of all the tenants I've had: 800 credit score, solid income, left the unit better than when he moved in, always paid early, never a bother, always easy to deal with. I'm the same way, 800 credit score, mega high salary, etc.

Anyone with a 550 score has been absolute hell. 600 has been decent. No surprise, since 600 is a C credit score. People who work low end jobs and are trying to rent with room mates are also terrible IME. With few exceptions all have turned out to be felons and other morons. Again, when you have people renting a 500K house in an area where 95% of people are owners, unless they are relocating or just need temporary housing, chances are they are a dead beat loser in one way or another. If they have to rent with room mates that speaks volumes. Then there are the lovely liberal loser case managers who troll my listings and tell me they have a nice family with literally 10 kids and two adults for my 3 bedroom, 1 bath starter house barely larger than my first apartment...:rolleyes:

Speaking from experience with the weirdos these case managers have sent me in the past, I just ignore them now. Quality tenants don't need welfare people to find them a place to live, they don't live in a motel, with friends or family, etc. I've noticed this is a red flag as well from past experience and in talking with other landlords.

Right now I'm dealing with a tenant that keeps getting HOA fines/notices and is trying to fight it. No surprise he has a bankruptcy, several credit card defaults as of last year, etc. Little does this genius know I'm just going to raise his rent or give him notice to move out then take it out of his deposit.

Last Edited:
Forgot to mention that after all the repairs on the house that her deposit didn't cover, she owes me about $1,500 which in WA, I can send to collections without a judgement. Enjoy your even worse credit with a ding from "Landlord Rental" on your record little dummy...:)

My son and I are going to put the last two rentals on the market in about 2 weeks. We will clear over 150K for each of us and that accomplishes the goals I set out investing in them about 4 years ago.

That was to help out on my mortgage free desire by my 60th birthday. Combine that with selling our place here in Western Oregon and pocketing about 300K on that deal,we will; build a nice house and shop setup in Central Oregon and be ready to go.

I'm selling a home soon when I consolidate with my bride to be. More than a few people have advised me to keep the house and rent it out as a source of income. Gave it some thought and decided I'm still going to sell.

After Moldnomah Country is done raping me for $6000 every year (and heading higher each time), I don't want to add bills for new roofs, carpets, water heater, furnace, AC, etc., etc., etc. Add those foreseeable potential expenses to odd random stuff, I'm just not seeing enough daylight there. Maybe if it was a duplex or apartments...

While I'm sure there are cool renters out there (most), I just don't need the aggravation if I end up (like some here) with tenants from hell.

This is another example of the left and the "unintended consequences" of the crap they come up with. They (left) felt sorry for bums getting kicked out. So they started in passing laws to "protect" the bums. This of course left property owners on the hook. So owners get more selective. Then the kind of scum the left protects are left out. So here come more laws that make it worse. The Section 8 is a GREAT example. Many started saying no way to it. So they passed laws saying you can't say no. On guy came up with a great solution. He would make sure his place did not pass the inspection for a section 8 renter. Then when he found a renter who paid and had a good record he fixed the "problem". Rental property can be a huge PITA and a BIG risk for the owner. There are ways to protect yourself but you have to be vigilant at it. I have done a lot of work for people who have rentals and some of what I have seen over the years is amazing.

I think it is just a commentary on where society is today, the haves against the have nots. Unfortunately people don't have the sense of personal responsibility as in the past. Democrats and the nanny state have made the less responsible segment of society even less responsible. Why care when there is always someone else to carry you through. But then there are responsible people like me due to making less money who would grow to be embittered at your requirements. When I was young in the early 70's I rented and always had room mates. Never had a problem and never trashed a house or had a landlord complain. In several cases we left the house in better condition than we found it. Bought my first house in 1977 and never rented again. But today with no references and all the other crap that is required to rent anywhere today I may very well find myself on the street with the income and other requirements, I have lived all my life making no more than your $35,000 that you put down but I own my present house in Vancouver free & clear worth $300,000. Have been married to my wife for 34 years and raised to children now in their 30's and have 2 grandchildren. I can see your position and I think that a fundamental change in society is needed to have more emphasis on personal responsibility, unfortunately I don't see it happening. Just my story and comments.

Last Edited:
I think it is just a commentary on where society is today, When I was young in the early 70's I rented and always had room mates. Never had a problem and never trashed a house or had a landlord complain. In several cases we left the house in better condition than we found it. Bought my first house in 1977 and never rented again. But today with no references and all the other crap that is required to rent today I may very well find myself on the street with your income and other requirements, I have lived all my life making no more than your $35,000 that you put down but I own my present house in Vancouver free & clear worth $300,000. Just my story though and you are welcome to view my tax returns from 1967 on.

People who have rental property have to do like insurance companies. They are playing the odds. You are sadly becoming an exception rather than the rule. We have for generations now raised kids to believe they are not responsible for any stupid crap they do. No matter the mess they make someone tells them it was not their fault. This is what leads to people not wanting to trust people. This is again a direct product of Liberalism. Personal responsibility is now something very un PC to bring up.

I am pretty much in agreement with Bushmans take on renting. He seems to have it down pretty good. You have to cover your azz every possible way. And there are good people like Gaucho out there who are solid responsible citizens even making lower wages. It can be done.

I was handling another one of my sons house that he had rented out when he decided to sell the house. The renters refused us access to the house even with 24 hours notice to allow the realtor to photograph the property. They left their property in the house for 4 days after they were supposed to be out. Their dogs pissed all over the carpet. My son kept the $ 1,500 deposit. They sent him e mails threatening to sue him for the deposit and stated they had signed statements from several people and the new owners regarding the condition of the house and what was said. Trouble is I knew one of the people and went and talked to the new owners and nobody had said jack sh*t to them and they had signed nothing. I caught them lying, sent them an e mail telling them to f off. End of story.

Managing these rentals has been an experience. My son has one other house he is keeping, it is paid for and flows him $ 1,800 a month right now. I have no desire to do that again. We got into it at the right time, had some solid gains and used it for what we did. We will never be able to buy properties at the prices we did 3 and 4 years ago. Never.

Rentals will be a solid market over the next foreseeable future. The path to home ownership in the sub 300k market is narrowing monthly. That market will be gone in the next 2 years completely. That is going to make rentals of homes in the $ 1,500 and up range very profitable. Landlords will likely increase rents as most people in the 80K or under income range will need to rent rather than buy. You have to be pretty damn creative to buy a house with income under 70K right now.

This is another example of the left and the "unintended consequences" of the crap they come up with. They (left) felt sorry for bums getting kicked out. So they started in passing laws to "protect" the bums.

I think what you are saying is true about the typical ignorant leftist voter. But the people in government know better. They KNOW these laws they pass will make it worse for renters. They just don't care.

Have a family friend that had tenant troubles...went through hell getting them off property. The deadbeats made it almost a yr no rent payed. Damn courts have too many deadbeat loopholes. Hell....screw the rent...he just needed them out...STRESS.
WHEN THEY WERE REMOVED THEY LEFT A MOUNTAIN OF TRASH " unwanted property " I WAS MORE THAN HAPPY TO HELP HIM DO THE RIGHT THING.
WE SKIP TRACED THEIR NEW SQUATTERS PARADISE.....AND WE DELIVERED-RETURNED THEIR PROPERT TO THEM. DUMPED THAT bubblegum ON THEIR FRONT LAWN 6 AM . COPS WERE CALLED WITH NO CHARGES FILED...EVEN GOT A WINK-NOD FROM ONE OF THE RESPONDERS.

DAMN IT FELT GOOD....DAMN IT STILL FEELS GOOD . EVEN A FREELOADER HATES EXTRA GARBAGE

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top