JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

For those who will comment before reading the article in its entirety:

The incident happened at the start of her shift, as she was walking toward her cruiser.

"She had her gun holstered in her duty belt. At no time did anything come in contact with the gun. Nothing," he said.

Semenza also said his client has seen a department surveillance video that clearly shows the gun going off without being touched.

I knew it! Alec Baldwin had a SIG revolver! :eek:
20220423_104434.jpg

Specific to the p320? Sounds like a striker issue that would be common in other similarly made models. Any other sig carriers on here have any issues carrying chambered?

I partook in the feeding frenzy after the P320 drop fire thing, and it was clear to me at that time the designers didn't actually understand how inertia works on the rotating components in those guns.

So they changed some springs in the guns to "fix" them. But the basic design was flawed. Now they are firing on their own?

There were some brilliant people involved in gun design in the past, but the current crop seems to be gunsmiths and guys who know how to use CAAD, not geniuses. SIG was Swiss and German company, and those guns WORKED. The first thing the SIG USA guys did was design the P229 slide that immediately cracked under firing. The success story continues.

S&W couldn't figure out why their gen 1 9mm M&Ps were so inaccurate.
Taurus drop fires (and everything else).
Ruger SR22s that fire when decocked, LCPs that drop fire, SR9 drop fires, MKIV fires when safety is moved to fire.

Maybe gun design shouldn't be the avocation of amateurs. You can take a Beretta 92, chamber a round, leave the hammer cocked and throw the gun and it won't go off. But these post Glock designs are being designed by idiots.

Any other sig carriers on here have any issues carrying chambered?
I have a SIG P320 (that I sent back for the VUP trigger fix ~4 years ago) and a P365, both of which I use for EDC interchangeably.
Never have had an issue as described in the OP in 6+ years of carrying them damned near every day.
And yes, I carry with one in the pipe. Always... With any gun I carry for SD...
Dunno why these other folks are having issues with theirs.
I am not afraid of my SIGs. I will continue to carry them unapologetically.
YMMV

Last Edited:
Which?

Cite?
The very first P229 slides had (I think) a stress riser from the square inside corner where the breechface met the slide sides, and those cracked pretty easily. This was in 1994/95. It was caught and corrected early on. Stamped guns were very square at that corner, because that was where two pieces met, and someone had copied those dimensions without considering stress risers.

I can't find it anymore, because searching for that brings up the Air Marshall cracked slide issues of 2003, the 2017 cracked P229 frames or people wondering about stamped slides cracking. So I am unable to cite - lots of stuff from just before the internet explosion is extremely difficult to find.

The very first P229 slides had (I think) a stress riser from the square inside corner where the breechface met the slide sides, and those cracked pretty easily. This was in 1994/95. It was caught and corrected early on. Stamped guns were very square at that corner, because that was where two pieces met, and someone had copied those dimensions without considering stress risers.

I can't find it anymore, because searching for that brings up the Air Marshall cracked slide issues of 2003, the 2017 cracked P229 frames or people wondering about stamped slides cracking. So I am unable to cite - lots of stuff from just before the internet explosion is extremely difficult to find.
I was just wondering whether you had meant the stamped slides being used for .40 or not.

I've owned three 229s, two in .40 and one a earlier 228/229 in 9mm. I've not noticed any issues with any parts. But then maybe none of these were of that era?

I was just wondering whether you had meant the stamped slides being used for .40 or not.

I've owned three 229s, two in .40 and one a earlier 228/229 in 9mm. I've not noticed any issues with any parts. But then maybe none of these were of that era?
The P229 was introduced in 1992. It was a P228 frame, German P228 barrel but in .40 and a US made slide and some of the small parts. It was the only machined slide Sig made until the introduction of the P226 in .40. Later Sauer went its own way and all the slides were made in the US via milling (though something was done to stockpile M11 stamped slides for the military).

I would not expect your average Sig slide to fail. My point was that the guy who did the "engineering" in Exeter in 1991-2 made a somewhat foolish error due to his lack of expertise in gun design or engineering in general. SIG-Sauer overall knew the slides needed more mass to control .40, but that the stamped slide tooling was not useful to make the change. So Exeter did their own thing to satisfy the .40 boom after the post-Miami FBI switch and then the Crime Bill knocking down the popularity of high capacity 9mm designs.

The Crime Bill also created the interest in CC size guns, which led directly to the interest in CC that gave us the current 50 state laws. I doubt we'd have common concealed carry otherwise.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top