JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am so sick of the Sea lion situation. Once again our sturgeon quota is cut down. Boniville pool is closed 2-19-11 and the Willamette opens But you have to know it wont last. When are people goingto pull there heads out and understand the problem. ODFW says the darn Sea lions will take another 10,000 + fish and another 700 oversize ( our grand childern wont see the replacement of these fish) yet we protect these fish eating furbags!
I have a hard time being convinced that California stellar sea lions are indangered, But I am darn sure that Oregon,Washington river lions are in surplus. These things should be classed as a sub-speicies and controlled . the have no place 120+ miles upstream from the ocean.
I understand that everytime the state starts hazing or trapping they get stormed by the hairy armpit tree hugging croud, But WHY oh Why does the state not just pull a black opp. on these nasty beast. they could certainly put a couple riflemen on an elivated position with supressed firearms and ghillie suits and thin these things out.
I for one If I spotted them doing it would dnot be calling the news or whining about it. I would however buy them lunch!

Consider it a blessing. The toxic level of Sturgeon flesh is sky high thanks to Hanford

Nukes are the only good energy we have left. Any pollution in the river is due to chemicals being dumped from upstream businesses and factories, not so much Hanford.

As for the Sea lions I agree, they are called SEA lions not river lions, kill them all!!

A hunting season would be the cure! A long time ago I saw a documentary about Canadians fishing commercial Salmon and when the seals bothered thier fishing they shot them and then canned them in brown gravey for rations!!

I have seen the damn things swim up not 3 feet from a boat or 5 feet from shore and grab salmon right off fisherman's lines. Even in a world where we were only armed with spears and rocks these things are asking to be killed. Thin the heard I say.

If the toxic levels in Salmon and Sturgeon are so High why dont we have dead Sealions laying around on the beaches????
Hey maybe thats It , They should start to die off due to Higher than normal Lead levels!!

This is a typical result when misguided policy ignores reality. Sure there used to be hundreds of thousands of sea lions around our coast. But there where millions of fish for them to feed on as well, and no human activity they impinged on. Surely a 50% reduction in numbers would not be noticed. I wouldn't be surprised if while crabbing you were "rushed" by a two ton animal and forced to defend yourself.

I scuba dive and spearfish the Oregon and Washington coast and can tell you from personal experience that having on of these big SOB's grab a fish on the end of your spear gun line will give you ride you wont soon forget. I think we need a season on them to reduce the #'s...... I would certainly buy a tag ( probably at any cost) .

I hate these things too. They are a major pain in the behind. Maybe we need to call them sea rats so people won't think they need all this protection. I'd like to give them some acute lead poisoning of a decent caliber.

I'll bet Trlsmn has a recipe! :s0114:

No I don't but I have a bunch of friends in Canada so I asked one of them to post a recipe and got this. Credit goes to "Skybandit

Seal Flipper Pie
This is a favorite of mine, I enjoy this more than any wild game I ever eat ... especially to spite all those bleeding heart animal activists who have tried to take away from us our way of living which we have enjoyed for hundreds of years.

Ingredients

3 seal flippers
1 very thin slices of fatback
1 pork
2 inches of water
5 onions, sliced
2 cn beef stock or
3 oxo cubes in
2 c water
2 ts savory
2 ts worcestershire sauce
1 carrot
1 parsnip
1 turnip
1 potatoes
1 flour to thicken
1 crust:
3 c flour
6 ts baking powder
1/4 ts salt
1/4 lb margarine
1 1/2 c milk

Instructions

Note: Skinned turres (a seabird, also known as murres) preboiled for
25 minutes in plain water, may be substituted.

1. Meticulously remove all fat from 3 seal flippers

2. Cover bottom of heavy skillet with very thin slices of fatback
pork.

3. Render the fat, then sear the well-seasoned flippers.

4. To a roasting pan add: 2 inches of water (5 cm if using metric
flippers (sic? measure); 4-5 onions, sliced; 2 cans beef stock or 3
Oxo cubes in 2 cups water; 1 - 2 teaspoons savory; 1 - 2 teaspoons
Worcestershire sauce

5. Add flippers, fatback and cook UNCOVERED for about 1 1/2 hours at
325 degrees F. At this stage the meat should be tender and the bones
can be removed if desired. Add carrot, parsnip, turnip or whatever
plus more water if required; cook an additional 20 minutes. Add
potatoes and cook a further 20 minutes or so. Add flour to thicken.

Crust: 3 cups flour 6 teaspoons baking powder 1/4 teaspoon salt Cut
in 1/4 lb. margarine, rub through fingers until stage of fine crumbs
then add 1 1/2 cups milk. Mix with spoon/hands, roll lightly, cover
flippers etc. in pan or dish. Cook at 375-400 degrees F until browned
(about 20 minutes).

Recommended wine: London Dock (an overproof dark rum). Newfie Screech
may be substituted.

beep u Paul Watson!!!

I agree! I have long felt that the Native American Nations should have every right to harvest the sea lions just as they always did in the past, keeping the natural balance. This would put the issue out of the reach of the bleeding-heart "Wussy-environmentalists" (in contrast to the pragmatic "Common-sense enviromentalists.") It is my understanding that all of the coastal tribes revered their sea lion cousins for the wonderful fur robes that they provided to bear the cold Pacific Winter!..................elsullo

They need to issue some Indian hunting permits for them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top