JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
He just wants an A1 stock for the bad a.s retro style, before we needed optics and bling to put a round on target. :s0137:

Because of all the cranky people on the internet these days I should state for the record that I understand that modern warfighters should use every advantage to win battles rather than cling to nostalgia, but I still want to tease the generation behind me.

If you're contemplating an A1 stock there's no reason to not have an adjustable stock. A collapsible stock extended is only quarter of an inch shorter than the A1 stock, unless you get that 7 position buffer tube.

That will vary from stock to stock and RE to RE, in the case of an A5 the tube is 3/4" longer, Vltor puts out 6 and 7 position tubes, BCM's is 8 and Magpul's is 10, probably others.

Its true. Nobody has ever got a deer with a bolt action during late season for that reason.
Implying I said it can't be done, instead of saying that there's no reason not to get any benefit you can get. Or countering an argument about having the same LOP every time, if a thick enough coat changes LOP and that is the reason for an A1 stock, then one would then go further and say an adjustable stock would have a more consistent LOP. Not that you can't do X or Y without. Even though Y was not mentioned until someone wanted to go past X. Want to bring in Z and finish the XYZ trinity?

I still want to tease the generation behind me.
Meanwhile, M16 had fancy aperture sight that made things too easy. I have crude sights, one of which can only be adjusted with a file for elevation and a hammer and punch for windage. :rolleyes:

9D230B95-B5E4-48EF-B795-43C022354CA4.jpeg 4A8A8A00-D332-49CB-99C9-91C54E3F1A47.jpeg

When I shoot prone during an NRA high power match, I usually find 3 to 4 positions out from fully collapsed places the scoped rifle exactly where I need it to be so that I can obtain a consistent cheek weld. I obtain that cheek weld in part by softly placing the tip of my nose against the charging handle. Furthermore, I use my cheek bone to mate with a specific portion of the stock comb and when both are done in unison, my eye becomes centered behind the sight in exactly the same place from shot to shot. This reduces the size of your shot group and keeps all of them in a round shape. Flyers that go outside the group are usually the result of having an inconsistent cheek weld (or flinching or bad ammo). In our competition we must recharge our rifles during the rapid fire stages which necessitates our dismounting the rifle to reload and quickly shouldering it once more to complete the stage of fire. Because of this you have to find a way to get your face planted back on the stock in the same place it was before - so your eye is behind the sight in the exact, same place. When I shoot sitting rapid fire I find position 2 to 3 out from full collapsed is needed for my consistent cheek weld. Regarding offhand, I almost always have it fully collapsed or maybe extend it by one position as doing so enables me to keep my head erect which increases my stability. Try cocking your head 45° and walking a straight line for 20ft - and you'll see what I mean about stability. Shooting a rifle standing with ones head not held up high, but rather craned forward at an angle like a giraffe is not going to end well for you when the scores are posted. I, like most others, use a heavy shooting coat and often wear a hooded sweatshirt underneath. You could say we have considerable bulk, so adjusting the LOP to suit ones clothing and physique helps with maintaining a consistent cheek weld. If you are mostly shooting off the bench or prone (no sitting or standing) then indeed a fixed stock of the original length would probably work just fine (and for me too). Don't forget Magpul has a design of their own for those who want long, fixed stocks. Ace does too; a really strong one I think it's called the ARFX ?

Last Edited:
The PRS has it's place, just not much a field stock IMO.
The PRS works great for me. Actually the LOP is even a little too short on the gen 2, i replace the factory recoil pad with the "enhanced" version, which lengthens it over factory specs. I actually prefer the PRS over other stocks because it helps to balance out the rifle, especially when you are running 20"+ heavier weight barrels. Ive shot some positional shoots and fared quite well with my PRS stocked rifles.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top