JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm gonna preface this with "I like collapsible stocks".

BUT.....

Not once that I can think of over three decades and 20+ ARs have I ever adjusted the stock because I was wearing "thicker clothes" or "armor" ( ok, I dont own armor, so theres that).

My all time fav is a VLTOR clubfoot with a 5 position tube, 2nd hole out.
For fixed, A-1 length all the way.

PRS for me. All the way. Add an enhanced recoil pad and its even better.

FWIW, I have a Bushmaster Varmint Special with a 24" barrel, a fixed stock and a 6-24 variable scope. This is comfortable to shoot and has sent hundreds of ground squirrels to wherever they go when they die. Admittedly, this is a summertime sport, so heavy clothing is not an issue and, so far, there has been no reason to wear body armor. :)

Not very tacticool, but there's something about heavily mottled A1 furniture... B693E185-688C-4654-92F9-8BDDF55915EA.jpeg

Im a little pizzed at my ar10 right now. Was in winnemucca today shooting with my dad and son and the m&p10 outshot the CTR today at the 400 yard range. I was so disgusted with it, i didnt shoot it anymore. My son shot the heck out of it after that. The PRS was a little long for him, even cranked all the way in. I can see the advantages to an adjustable stock in cases like this. Also, i have to say, the ACS was very comfortable on my dads rifle.

Again, FWIW, the Bushmaster will shoot 5/8" groups at 100 yds. all day...
100 yards is the key term there. I shot a 1 1/2" group, at 400 yards, today with my performance center, then proceeded to let my son shoot it for the rest of the time. We played a little game shooting the steel target tree. Plates ranged from 2" diameter, 4", 6", 10" and 12". Right off the bat my son shoots at and hits the 6" target. Center punches it in fact. This was the first time hes ever shot an ar. I rang (more like spun) the 2" diameter steel plate 8 times out of 10 with the CTR. Good times, now he wants an ar. We'll probably get him one with an adjustable stock though. If you arent long armed and over 6' (like myself), i can see mucho versatility in an adjustable stock like a magpul ACS. The weight of the PRS (since its talked about so much), is not a detriment at all with any of my rifles because most of them wear 20" tubes. The stock helps to balance out the rifle very well. There are definitely advantages to the PRS, the reason its my favorite stock.

Meh, rifle length systems are over rated. Carbine has been working for what? 50 years?

I disagree, the carbine configuration as always been a compromise, sure it works and has for long, but it's a lot harder on itself and has had plenty of growing pains to get where it is today.

The rifle gas and buffer system is so much smoother and is more conducive with precision oriented weapons for the reduced movement under recoil allowing better visual feedback and follow up shots. Can't argue with physics.

The carbine has taken leaps and bounds in recent history with introduction of mid-length gas systems and A5 buffer systems, which when combined brings the carbine much closer to the rifle. Working is one thing, working optimally is another. Just my take.

No reason that a collapsible stock would force you to give up a rifle length gas tube.
If you're contemplating an A1 stock there's no reason to not have an adjustable stock. A collapsible stock extended is only quarter of an inch shorter than the A1 stock, unless you get that 7 position buffer tube.

If you get a fixed stock and find that you don't like that position for eye relief, you're stuck. With collapsible stock you get a choice.

Granted, the only adjustable "stock" I have is on a pistol, everything else is just are short folding stock (warsaw length), as far as the semiautos go. So take what I say with a grain of salt.

If you're contemplating an A1 stock there's no reason to not have an adjustable stock. A collapsible stock extended is only quarter of an inch shorter than the A1 stock, unless you get that 7 position buffer tube.

If you get a fixed stock and find that you don't like that position for eye relief, you're stuck. With collapsible stock you get a choice.

Granted, the only adjustable "stock" I have is on a pistol, everything else is just are short folding stock (warsaw length), as far as the semiautos go. So take what I say with a grain of salt.

Its not that I dislike the current LOP, I just don't want the LOP to ever change. I could move the mount to find the right eye relief.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top