JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought my first AR oriented "LPVO", aka scope, today. I started thinking about it. Since scopes have critical eye relief and your eye has to be within a certain "box" to get a full field of view, why bother with a collapsible stock? I'm thinking of switching to an A1 stock and setting the eye relief so that its constant.

Does that make sense?

DUDE!!

You're making me have a facial tick. :p

Collapsible stocks are good for storing the gun in the safe, easier transportability and adjusting it down shorter for little people.

I bought my first AR oriented "LPVO", aka scope, today. I started thinking about it. Since scopes have critical eye relief and your eye has to be within a certain "box" to get a full field of view, why bother with a collapsible stock? I'm thinking of switching to an A1 stock and setting the eye relief so that its constant.

Does that make sense?

Yes. Plus a rifle length gas/buffer system is smoother and better suited for scoped shooting IMO.

Go with the A1 over the A2, the A2 is too long IMO.

The big advantage of a collapsible stock is the ability to adjust LOP for heavy clothes, body armor and different shooters. An A5 will give you the best of both worlds, a collapsible stock with rifler buffer system performance.

Also, an adjustable lop comes in handy when wearing a heavy coat vs a t-shirt

Yah, or load bearing stuff/armor etc etc.

Also may be handy for transport/ stowage.

We have a bunch of AR's, most with regular ar adjustable stocks. Mostly red dots/1-6's or just irons. Like them.

Some with A1/A2 type nonadjustable, some with Magpul PRS (although adjustable, not like a regular AR adjustable). Higher power scopes/bipods.

Like the PRS a bunch tho, maybe give that a thought?

Go with the A1 over the A2, the A2 is too long IMO.

The big advantage of a collapsible stock is the ability to adjust LOP for heavy clothes, body armor and different shooters. An A5 will give you the best of both worlds, a collapsible stock with rifler buffer system performance.

Meh, rifle length systems are over rated. Carbine has been working for what? 50 years?

I'm gonna preface this with "I like collapsible stocks".

BUT.....

Not once that I can think of over three decades and 20+ ARs have I ever adjusted the stock because I was wearing "thicker clothes" or "armor" ( ok, I dont own armor, so theres that).

My all time fav is a VLTOR clubfoot with a 5 position tube, 2nd hole out.
For fixed, A-1 length all the way.

The first rifle I had from my department was a Colt A2. Even at 6'4", I've preferred collapsing stocks because I can shorten them up and get behind them. Not a big deal with an RDS since there is very little parallax and no eye relief issues.

But, I've never put a variable scope on an AR. Plenty of bolt actions and single shots with scopes and I always set up my rifles for the correct eye relief. The guns fit me well, even with heavier hunting clothes, pack straps, etc. These rifles come up to the perfect
sight picture every time. I figured having a fixed stock on a scoped AR would be a good thing.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top