JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, the wife and I finally decided to add a good quality bolt action rifle to our collection for longer range shooting. We narrowed things down to a Remington 700 or a Winchester Model 70 and ended up going with the Winchester Model 70 Super Grade since we're both suckers for good wood and high-gloss blued steel. Plus, we own a number of beautiful old model 1892 levers and a model 1897 pump, so we figured we should keep the Winchester theme going as well :D.
Since we plan on doing mostly target shooting with this rifle (and maybe the occasional deer hunt), and my wife is quite a bit smaller, we decided to go with 7mm-08 over 308 for the slightly lower recoil and flatter trajectory with essentially the same ballistics.
For the scope, we decided to go with a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44mm CDS-ZL2 with the Fire Dot Duplex reticle. From what we've read, this should work well between 100 and 500 yards which is the distance range we're targeting.
So now we're looking for some advice on a good mount and rings to match this scope up with the new rifle. I was naturally leaning to the Leupold one-piece mount for the M70 with Leupold 30mm medium or high rings, but there are simply so many options out there, I don't really know what would be best for this rifle/scope combo.
I was hoping some of you could provide feedback and possibly some advice on this.
Thanks for the help.

Last Edited:
Do you recommend the windage adjustable or fixed Leopold 2-piece base? I would assume a Winchester Model 70 Super Grade has excellent alignment for the base mount holes, and the scope we've chosen does support windage adjustment, but I'm not really sure which mount system is better/stronger.

I've never needed base windage adjustments in a newer built rifle. Old ones or misaligned screw holes yes. I think the dual dovetail system is very solid less moving parts. This system has a dovetail in front and rear bases. I have seen adjustable rear bases knocked loose in a fall. It's almost impossible to knock the daul dovetail out. I like two piece bases it gives you a little more room to clear a jam. I also lap the scope rings. Just my two cents worth.

I do have one more question if that's OK.
Given the rifle and scope choices I've made, should I get the RVF (reversible front base) 2 piece DD mount or would the standard 2 piece DD mount work OK?

I usually get the reverseable. Length of scope and length of action sometimes makes it a challenge to get proper eye releaf. Like long action and short scope. The reverseable one you can flip around if needed. I have all the tools to mount the scope and lap 1" rings. Were about are you located?

I'm just south of Portland in Lake Oswego so not too far from you.
Eye relief is a concern since my wife wants to shoot this rifle and she's a shorter gal - so smaller arms which will probably mean her head will be further back when holding the rifle to her shoulder.
I was thinking about getting the mount in gloss black to match the receiver and the rings in matte black to match the scope. But it looks like the reversible 2 piece mount only comes in matte for the model 70, although that's probably not such a big deal since I'm sure a matte mount will look just fine as well.
I didn't know you have to lap the rings. Can you lap 30mm rings? The scope I bought has a 30mm tube so I'll need 30mm rings.
I purchased the scope and rifle from the Cabelas in Tualatin and was going to have them mount it for me. They do it for free when you purchase a scope or rifle from them. But it doesn't look like they have the mount you've recommended. Could you tell me the Leupold part number for the mount you'd recommend and perhaps let me know where I might buy the mount and rings?
Thanks again for all your help and advice.

I called sportsman's. They have the bases in stock. I didn't ask him what the sku was. You don't have to lap the rings. A lot of guys do. Sportsman's might mount them free if you buy the bases and rings there. I'm busy the next week or so but after that I can help you if you want. Also have a range so you can site it in.

I'm just south of Portland in Lake Oswego so not too far from you.
Eye relief is a concern since my wife wants to shoot this rifle and she's a shorter gal - so smaller arms which will probably mean her head will be further back when holding the rifle to her shoulder.
I was thinking about getting the mount in gloss black to match the receiver and the rings in matte black to match the scope. But it looks like the reversible 2 piece mount only comes in matte for the model 70, although that's probably not such a big deal since I'm sure a matte mount will look just fine as well.
I didn't know you have to lap the rings. Can you lap 30mm rings? The scope I bought has a 30mm tube so I'll need 30mm rings.
I purchased the scope and rifle from the Cabelas in Tualatin and was going to have them mount it for me. They do it for free when you purchase a scope or rifle from them. But it doesn't look like they have the mount you've recommended. Could you tell me the Leupold part number for the mount you'd recommend and perhaps let me know where I might buy the mount and rings?
Thanks again for all your help and advice.

I'm not northplains, but I might be able to help a bit. I like northplains idea on the dual dovetails, as that is mainly what I run on my model 70's. Here's a 7mm08 of mine:
88eWRkA.jpg

270 featherweight:
r5C8YMb.jpg

and even my old pre 64's have dual dovetails:
nlhpUXF.jpg

The part numbers you will need:

Bases: Matte finish
  • Leupold #: 50046

Rings: Matte finish medium height 30mm:
  • Leupold #: 49957

Wow, those are extremely beautiful rifles! The first and second look like classic featherweights - superb looking rifles!
My M70 super grade will be brand new (now made in Portugal instead of New Haven unfortunately), but the overall quality looks good and the reviews are very good and it's readily attainable at a not-too-unreasonable price point.
After doing even more research on mounts and given the consensus here for the Leopold DD rings and two piece non-adjustable base, I placed orders for the matte finish DD rings in 30mm high (#49958) and the gloss DD fixed 2-piece base (#50045). I thought the gloss base would match better with the gloss receiver and the matte rings would match better with the matte scope. And in the 44mm to 50mm objective range with the 30mm tube, Leupold recommends a high mount. This seems consistent with what I found here: Rifle Scope Ring Height Comparison Guide - MidwayUSA
And I decided I probably won't need the RVF base since I've upped the optics game a bit and jumped to a Zeiss Conquest V6. This is a 30mm tube just like the VX-5HD, but I think the V6 with the ZMOA reticle will work better for longer range target shooting as compared to the VX-5HD with the Fire Dot duplex reticle. I did some research and was aiming at the 3-18x50, but after looking at the possibility for long range precision shooting, I am thinking I might go with the 5-30x50.
I know, I know, I should be supporting the local guys, but Zeiss has an excellent reputation for building extremely high quality optics and I managed to find a great deal on these scopes. Basically, since I plan on doing more target shooting than hunting with my new rifle, I thought the Zeiss might be the better choice over the Leupold - at least in the sub-$2000 price range.
I hate to poke you guys again, but I'm curious as to your thoughts on the 3-18x50 range versus the 5-30x50 range - especially for mid to long range target shooting.
Again thanks for all the great feedback!

Last Edited:
Wow, those are extremely beautiful rifles! The first and second look like classic featherweights - superb looking rifles!
My M70 super grade will be brand new (now made in Portugal instead of New Haven unfortunately), but the overall quality looks good and the reviews are very good and it's readily attainable at a not-too-unreasonable price point.
After doing even more research on mounts and given the consensus here for the Leopold DD rings and two piece non-adjustable base, I placed orders for the matte finish DD rings in 30mm high (#49958) and the gloss DD fixed 2-piece base (#50045). I thought the gloss base would match better with the gloss receiver and the matte rings would match better with the matte scope. And in the 44mm to 50mm objective range with the 30mm tube, Leupold recommends a high mount. This seems consistent with what I found here: Rifle Scope Ring Height Comparison Guide - MidwayUSA
And I decided I probably won't need the RVF base since I've upped the optics game a bit and jumped to a Zeiss Conquest V6. This is a 30mm tube just like the VX-5HD, but I think the V6 with the ZMOA reticle will work better for longer range target shooting as compared to the VX-5HD with the Fire Dot duplex reticle. I did some research and was aiming at the 3-18x50, but after looking at the possibility for long range precision shooting, I am thinking I might go with the 5-30x50.
I know, I know, I should be supporting the local guys, but Zeiss has an excellent reputation for building extremely high quality optics and I managed to find a great deal on these scopes. Basically, since I plan on doing more target shooting than hunting with my new rifle, I thought the Zeiss might be the better choice over the Leupold - at least in the sub-$2000 price range.
I hate to poke you guys again, but I'm curious as to your thoughts on the 3-18x50 range versus the 5-30x50 range - especially for mid to long range target shooting.
Again thanks for all the great feedback!
Good choice, however when you mix and match the matte and gloss finish, it has a tendency to stand out. On a nicely blued rifle like yours, i would use the gloss finish rings and bases, unless leupold doesnt offer 1 or the other in that finish, then if thats the case id run matte. The reason i listed matte finish in my previous post. Matte has a tendency to go with all rifle finishes, even stainless rifles. You were wise to go to the high rings for a 50mm objective, but with a 44mm obj (as per the op), the medium's work great.

Hmmm, never thought about the gloss/matte combo standing out and maybe not looking too good together. I can't find the rings in gloss but I could swap out the gloss base with a matte base. Perhaps it's splitting hairs, but I want the rifle to look as good as it hopefully shoots, so I'll go ahead and order the matte base as well and keep whatever base looks best. The cost of these bases is in the noise compared to the rifle and scope, so its no big deal to have both options on hand, see what looks best and return the base I don't use.

Thanks for seconding the advice to use a matte base with matte rings. I'm quite sure that's the way I will go.
I have decided to skip using Cabela's to mount my new scope since I'm not sure how much care and attention they'll put in to do a precision job. Free mounting sounds enticing, but you often get what you pay for, and I want this done right the first time. I'm a crazy perfectionist which certainly helps in the work I do (writing FDA regulated embedded medical software), but with this stuff I'm all thumbs :(. But I have to believe there are people out there just as committed to quality as I am who could do an excellent job.
You mentioned you have the tools to do 1" rings, but my scope requires 30mm rings.
Basically, I'm looking for an expert who will take the proper time to professionally mount my new scope to my new rifle including lapping the rings and bore sighting the scope and rifle.
Do you - or any of you guys - have recommendations on where I might get this work done?
Thanks again for the help and advice.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews