JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I went deer hunting for the first time last season - really liked it. My hunting was done around Republic, WA in mostly woods, but some open clear-cut areas. My gun was a Marlin 336 30-30 with a 1-3x20 Weaver scope on it. This worked great for the wooded areas, but I kind of wanted something with a little more reach for when we were in the clear-cuts. So, I recently ordered a 30.06 bolt gun. (this was also partly a nostalgia purchase as my grandfather always hunted with a bolt-action 30.06)

What kind of scope should I put on this thing? The classic suggestion seems to be a 3-9x40, but I'm wondering if this is too much power for tromping around in heavily wooded areas? I really liked the low-power setting on my 1-3 for when I was in those areas. I was thinking about a 2-7x32-ish to give me a little lower power than the standard 3-9. However, one of the reasons I got this gun is to "reach out farther" in the clear-cut areas, so I don't want to get a lower-power scope and defeat that purpose.

In terms of scope brand, I've been leaning toward a Leupold VX-2 or VX-3. The VX-3 is about $100 more, and when I looked through them at Cabelas, I couldn't really tell all that much difference. I suspect the difference might be more noticeable at the start/finish of hunting hours, not in a well-lit store.

Thoughts? What do you all use?

Any Leupold is going to be adequate or better, probably better. Either 2x7 or 3x9 will be just perfect for your .30-06 in the terrain you describe. I leave mine on the least magnification when walking about, it's easier to make a quick shot with a wider field of view. I usually don't bother turning up the magnification unless I have to shoot a few hundred yards and am shooting from some kind of supported position. Anyway, you're on the right track and will do fine. If money is an issue there are other good brands too, but Leupold gets the market share in the NW.

I live in the same area as Republic (about 50 miles west). I have a bolt action Rem 700 with a 4X40 fixed scope. Purchased that rifle and scope in 1964, never felt I needed to change.

4X is more than enough when you are in the woods. Unless you are in one of the few open areas you are not going to be shooting much over 100 yards anyway. Being able to get on target quickly is more important than magnification.

Hermannr: do you think a lower-power scope would be better for the woods? If 4x is good enough for around there, I'm not sure why I need something that goes up to 9x, so that's why I was thinking 2-7x for a scope. A 2-7 would also be lighter.

Leupold's new VX-2 is great!

The VX-2 line replaces the VX-ll. I have both and there is no practical difference.......except the big $ savings.

Once you hunt with a 2-7 you'll never look back.

Be sure and check out the Talley "One-Piece" rings. I changed over my 4 centerfire rifles that previously had Leupold, Redfield and Burris.

Also something not mentioned is low light. The best scope for low light are those with the largest Objective lens. So a 32mm is way darker then a 40mm which is way darker then a 56mm. When hunting under trees having the best light gathering ablity is a plus just like not using to much magnification.

The above is a general rule of thumb.

a 2-7X at 32mm maybe as bright as a 3-9X at 40mm as its a ratio of magnification to lens diameter that changes the light gathering ability of the scope.

If given the option check out the scope with the biggest lens.

I have hunted all over Oregon, east and west, with a variety of scope sights from Lyman Alaskan 2.5/post to 10x crosshair and dot. LOng long range I'd probably want more scope. It's best to fit the optic to the area you hunt. Power, game size, field of view, light gathering, and reticule size and visability in low light and against some backgrounds all matter. Best all around scope is probably a 3-9 with a duplex or similar.

Either 2x7 or 3x9 will work just fine. A large objective lense will buy you a little extra time at daylight and dusk due to greater light gathering ability, but also might be harder to mount due to clearance issues. Someone above mentioned rings...I'll cast my vote for Talley's. Your questions are good ones, thank God you seem to be a man who can listen to reason. You won't miss a buck with any of the advice that's been posted in this thread. A good .30-06 with moderate power scope is just about the most versatile do everything rifle there is. It's my all time favorite caliber for many reasons.

Mark: the VX-2 2-7 has a 36mm objective, so I'm thinking it won't be too much darker than a 40mm. The VX-3 coating is supposed to be better than the VX-2, so that's another factor. I hunted with a basic Weaver w/ a 20mm objective last season and I thought it did ok at twilight/dusk.

I've heard some good things about the Talleys and will take a closer look at those. I'm also taking a look at the DNZ game reaper one-piece mounts. The gun (Tikka T3) came with rings, but I've heard mixed opinions about how good these are.

Hermannr: do you think a lower-power scope would be better for the woods? If 4x is good enough for around there, I'm not sure why I need something that goes up to 9x, so that's why I was thinking 2-7x for a scope. A 2-7 would also be lighter.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

You actually need very little magnification, if any, around here. I live in the highlands, and there are very few places you can see 200 yards without some trees or such in the way. Occationally some farmers field will give you a longer shot, but you would need permission to be hunting on private land anyway. I you are sticking to UFS, BLM and state land, you will probably never have a 200 yard shot.

IMHO, The biggest problem you will most likely have is over magnification. If I were to purchase a new variable power scope the low end would be 2 power or less, and the high end whatever happened to come with the scope chosen.

I would probably carry it at the lowest power. Snap shooting is going to happen close, if it happens at all. Any distance you need more than 2 power, you will have time to crank the scope up and take your time. I doubt is you would ever use 7 power...but you might on occation. Yes, a 2X7 would probably do fine.

I have fixed powers, low power variables, and mid power scopes. I have used higher power scopes and after 40 years of shooting, I prefer lower power variables or fixed.
While hunting Antelope in Wyoming a couple of years ago, I used a 3x9 with the power set on 5 (175 yard shot). When hunting Eastern Washington I used a 1.25x5 set on 2.5 (125 yard shot).
In Western Washington's coastal woods I use a 1.5x6, or 1.25x5 . The only time I use magnification higher is at the range when sighting in or testing reloads.
But you should use what your are most comfortable with.

As for your 30-06 I would probably go with a 3x9x40 of any top name brand. I personally prefer Weaver & Pentax.

Leupold is a hands down choice in many areas of the country, especially here in the PNW. I'm originally from eastern Montana and hunt pretty exclusive with a fixed 6X scope on my 30-06. I have a Burris signature mounted on it. That being said, variable power scopes are all the rage and it's difficult to even find a fixed power scope anymore, even though they are made. A majority of your shots will be well within 200 yards when hunting in eastern Washington as I have hunted in that area as well, around Winthrop and Twisp.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top