JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have always wanted to get into long distance shooting and I just bought a rifle to do that. I am now in the market for a scope. I know very little about them except they cost a lot. I love magnification and I love economy and I love accuracy - I am just a stoopid beginner and I don't need anything crazy fancy, but I prefer not to go cheap just to go expensive later - middle of the road is ok.

I don't wanna get into a never ending debate like those on which motor oil is best - just simple guidance would be VERY appreciated here. I would appreciate it very much. I have bought scopes in the past some cheap some expensive and the last one a trijicon ACOG is superior to anything I have purchased before. It was easy to install easy to dial in and very functional - however I would prefer not to spend that much again if possible.

Thanks.
Watch Sniper101 on YouTube vids on scope selection. For long range, turret precision is most important. Only good less expensive is SWFA. Don't buy anything your not sure of, it won't work. In general, going budget will cost more cause you'll have to replace it.

Watch Sniper101 on YouTube vids on scope selection. For long range, turret precision is most important. Only good less expensive is SWFA. Don't buy anything your not sure of, it won't work. In general, going budget will cost more cause you'll have to replace it.
Sound advice. I did a ton of research and ended up buying the SWFA 3-15. I can hit man size targets at 1,200 yards if I'm doing my part.

I have always wanted to get into long distance shooting and I just bought a rifle to do that. I am now in the market for a scope. I know very little about them except they cost a lot. I love magnification and I love economy and I love accuracy - I am just a stoopid beginner and I don't need anything crazy fancy, but I prefer not to go cheap just to go expensive later - middle of the road is ok.

I don't wanna get into a never ending debate like those on which motor oil is best - just simple guidance would be VERY appreciated here. I would appreciate it very much. I have bought scopes in the past some cheap some expensive and the last one a trijicon ACOG is superior to anything I have purchased before. It was easy to install easy to dial in and very functional - however I would prefer not to spend that much again if possible.

Thanks.
OK, let me chime in with a brief note based on my personal experience:
I started out shooting the long range venue at Tri-County Gun club a little over 3 years ago. I thought I could do well with an AR-15 if I used heavy bullets and a 3.5-10 Leupold. I was wrong. At 600 yards a 10 power will barely enable you to see the target, much less the scoring dot.
Not to mention that when I got the target back, the holes were all over the place.
I went on GunBroker.com and bought a used target rifle for $500/00. It was a 308. That did a little better and I could keep most of my shots in the black with a 45X fixed power Leupold scope.

I did not feel comfortable shooting the 308, and started looking around for a solution. Early last year I had the same rifle re-barrelled to a smaller caliber. It is now a 6BR. ( That stands for 6 millimeter Bench Rest.) I am slowly getting better and can keep all of my shots in the black now.
I did break down late last year and bought a refurbished Night Force. If you look around you can probably find one after some serious looking and waiting. I found mine on Optics Planet. Mine goes up to 42 power. It cost around $1100.00. When you start asking around and talking to the guys who are doing well, you will find that the top shooters are spending as much on their scopes as they do on their guns. Sometimes more.
If you do not reload your own ammo that too will cost an arm and a leg. Getting the right bullet, brass, powder and primer combination for your particular rifle will not come over night, but getting it right will make the difference between being an effective shooter and just saying, "I tried it but it wasn't for me."
Good luck and good shooting.

good points. I do reload so that will not be a problem. I need to zero and in and understand how exactly to shoot long distance. I am also a member at tri county and spent alot of my time at the 200/300 range.

I will keep an eye open for a scope with the kind of power you mentioned.

OK, let me chime in with a brief note based on my personal experience:
I started out shooting the long range venue at Tri-County Gun club a little over 3 years ago. I thought I could do well with an AR-15 if I used heavy bullets and a 3.5-10 Leupold. I was wrong. At 600 yards a 10 power will barely enable you to see the target, much less the scoring dot.
Not to mention that when I got the target back, the holes were all over the place.
I went on GunBroker.com and bought a used target rifle for $500/00. It was a 308. That did a little better and I could keep most of my shots in the black with a 45X fixed power Leupold scope.

I did not feel comfortable shooting the 308, and started looking around for a solution. Early last year I had the same rifle re-barrelled to a smaller caliber. It is now a 6BR. ( That stands for 6 millimeter Bench Rest.) I am slowly getting better and can keep all of my shots in the black now.
I did break down late last year and bought a refurbished Night Force. If you look around you can probably find one after some serious looking and waiting. I found mine on Optics Planet. Mine goes up to 42 power. It cost around $1100.00. When you start asking around and talking to the guys who are doing well, you will find that the top shooters are spending as much on their scopes as they do on their guns. Sometimes more.
If you do not reload your own ammo that too will cost an arm and a leg. Getting the right bullet, brass, powder and primer combination for your particular rifle will not come over night, but getting it right will make the difference between being an effective shooter and just saying, "I tried it but it wasn't for me."
Good luck and good shooting.
I

good points. I do reload so that will not be a problem. I need to zero and in and understand how exactly to shoot long distance. I am also a member at tri county and spent alot of my time at the 200/300 range.

I will keep an eye open for a scope with the kind of power you mentioned.

I
Come out to the 200/300 yard line bldg before we start shooting next Tuesday. We start at 6:00 PM. You must be there for the reading of the additional rules or they won't let you shoot that evening. No charge if you just want to observe. We would even let you pull targets if you want to see how that half works. Everyone who shoots must also pull targets but you can pull targets if you don't shoot.
Ask around about what people are using. Most of the guys/gals there are willing to help out. If you want to shoot, bring $5.00 for the match and sign in on the yellow sheet as member. Give the $5.00 to Devin and you are covered for that night. If you want to pay for all of the matches all year long it is $40.00. We also run clinics two or 3 times per year if you are interested, but they charge for those and if you can hit the target at 300 yards, you can probably get by without the clinic. Don't bother bringing a rifle with a 3-9 scope unless you have perfect vision. It would be a waste of your time and ammo.

I assume this is for the 600 yard range correct? So there are folks at the 200 and 300 yard lines pulling targets?

I am in Vancouver and most likely wont get out there and my kit wont arrive and be configured until next weekend. tell me more about what this is or should i just look on the TCGC website?

I assume this is for the 600 yard range correct? So there are folks at the 200 and 300 yard lines pulling targets?
I am in Vancouver and most likely wont get out there and my kit won't arrive and be configured until next weekend. tell me more about what this is or should i just look on the TCGC website?

Yes, all that stuff is for the 600 yard match. There are people at the the 300 yard pit pulling targets. Nobody at the 200. We meet at the 200/300 parking lot for the reading of the rules.
Must be there by 6:00 PM.
Then we split up and half of the people go to the 300 yard pit to pull targets. The other half goes to the 600 yard line shoot house. When everyone is clear of the 200/300 yard line shoot house and surrounding area, the 200/300 range is locked off so nobody can get in there. All the targets are shot 22 times 2 for sighters and 20 for score. Then the shooters and target pullers trade places. and we do it all over again. Most evening matches last until about 8:00 PM, Some a little later. If we have enough shooters to require 3 relays, it often lasts until 9:00PM.

We also have a match on the morning of the third Saturday of each month at 9:00 Am, same rules and procedures.

We have a few people who belong to Clark County Rifles who come down every week to shoot with us. Some of them are top tier shooters. Depending on your work schedule, it can be a challenge to get to the range by 6:00 PM.

I didn't read all the posts on this thread but it looked like some pretty good input.

What I've found and learned the hard way in some cases:
For long distance you need good target turrets, and I prefer a first focal plane reticle. The adjustment has to be precise and reliable. These things you can get in many different brands and price points.

Bullet drop compensator reticles are not very useful if it doesn't match your ammunition, exactly.

That scope should get you to 1000 yards. I use this out to 700:
View attachment 289686View attachment 289687

I highly recommend SWFA SS scopes. I think you will have no issues getting out to 1000 yrds and further with a fixed 12x or 10x - I have both. I don't know if you will find a better scope for the $$$.

More here:

The guy who did the video above has a wealth of info for long and extreme long range shooting as well. SWFA backs up their scopes (which are as tough as nails) 100%.

I plan on picking up a Savage 110 this Summer in 338 Lapua to get waaaay out there in the Oregon wilderness and I'll be using my SWFA SS 12x42 until I can get into an IOR Valdada.

I cant say about the SWFA optics, but I can say that Savage 110 .338LM is good to go far beyond what all the reviews say it can do! It does give up a bit in barrel length and there for ultimately range, but its a good investment and can be re barreled later and made even better! And at a third of the cost of one of the "Better" names out there!

I would highly suggest if you have not looked at them, either the Vortex 6.5-24x viper pst or the just the plain viper series depending on cash flow, I have a viper pst and it is a wonderful piece of glass, and for the price paid its one of the best deals on the market, plus they have a better warranty then leupold.. I know those are fighting words.. but they warranty anything and everything they sell, not just the gold ring (from leupolds website).

Plus some other guys might not like them, but I will forever swear by Larue Tactical QD mounts, the one I have has been on 4 different rifles and two different scopes and it holds its zero really really well.

aside from the rook like me - i bet that those with talent can use just about anything and be successful. BTW I've already bought a scope, but, ironically, after i bought i heard of vet program through vortex. had i known that I may have chosen a different route. still may go after it though

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top