JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im acquiring bunch of crap i don't really need but want... you guys know how it is... in preparation for my introduction to 3gun fun... I've been thinking about 3gun for years now, but finally live somewhere that events are not to far away. I about to pay my money for Douglas Ridge membership and looking at starting up 3 gun in June - after i get dialed in and some practice and trigger time with the new equipment.

I'm looking at a Blade Tech holster - (mostly because their one of the only manufactures that produce for my pistol - FNX 45 - without going to a custom maker and waiting for who knows how long.

my question is this - Level 1 retention or Level 2 -

I don't have high aspirations to win events, I'm just looking to improve my skills and test them to see where I need improvement - and have some fun.

i don't know enough about the 3gun stages at DRRC to know if it would be in my best interest to get a lvl 2 retention - i read about pistols falling out on the run or over /under obstacles resulting in DQ -
I don't want that to happen but I've only seen some youtube videos of the matches here. and they don't seem that crazy -

Nor do i know enough about the rules - I have read them over once, (3gun nation) but is holstering a pistol and moving then using it again part of any competition? i read one guy who said it legal to do that, but from my basic understanding of the rules"

"3.3 RE-HOLSTERING:

A COF will never require a competitor to re-holster a pistol after the start signal.
3.3.1 Competitors CAN re-holster their pistol per current safety rules.
3.3.2: Any COF with optional pistol targets MUST have a small designated pistol container made available for abandoning and grounding the pistol.
3.3.3: When clearing the firearm at the end of the COF, any round(s) that are found INADVERTENTLY left touching a firearm do not constitute a loaded chamber.
Example: A live round that has been caught in the ejection port, or "Stove Piped" or a loose live round in the mag well. " - 3gun nation rulebook

what does 3.31 mean - current safety rules - ?? no round in chamber, or just on Safe? is it not considered an abandoned or grounded firearm if you reholster after use?

Honestly how many times have you guys seen DQ's happen with lvl 1 holsters? that a lvl 2 would have prevented.

i know I'm talking about DQ , but i realize its a safety issue not only for myself but for RO's and other competitors as well.

Level 1 or 2 - what do you guys run with?

I have no experience in 3 gun, but as far as holsters, I recently picked up a Blackhawk! Omnivore holster. I think I picked it up at Sportsman's Wherehouse for 59.99?.

The cool thing about this holster is that it will fit up to 150 pistols. So basically, it uses a locking block that attaches to the rail of your pistol and that is what "locks" into the holster. It has level 2 retention and uses a push button thumb release with three different sized pads (s,m,l) that you can use to custom fit the draw to the size of the gun that you are using.

I find the lockup very solid and the holster is "free floated", so there is very little, if any rubbing that could wear the finish on your pistol. They also have a model for use with a mounted flashlight.

Omnivore - BLACKHAWK!

Last Edited:
Well I just checked the fitment chart and I don't see the FNX 45 on the list. I was not expecting that. :(

I have a lefty version and have access to a right handed one. If you want to double check the fit before buying, I can provide either one to try and it only takes a couple minutes to install the block.

Also, congrats on your soon to be membership at DRRC. I'm a recent new member myself. :)

My Blade-Tech came in yesterday. Was super fast turnaround, I ordered it on the 27th came in on the 29th, I didn't realize that they are up in Puallup. Practiced dry fire with it for about an hour last night. (only got lvl 1 - its my first kydex holster, i usually prefer leather but reholstering with my Glaco pancake is not easy. I figure in not trying to win any competition and don't mind having to hold it down in the holster if I'm moving quickly)

thanks for your offer tho Spook - ya the FNX is quite large. and few manufactures produce for them. (probably because their civilian sales don't rival Glock/Sig/S&W/HK.)

I am a member at DRRC and a regular 3 gun competitor there. My advice is to go with a locking holster. You will be running at times with a hot pistol. I have seen them come out multiple times and unfortunately experienced it myself when the tension wasn't adjusted tight enough on my holster. Getting a DQ sucks but safety is more important. I'll never forget watching a pistol spinning as it fell to the ground only to land with the muzzle pointing directly at me. I have a Blackhawk serpa for a Springfield XDm but just picked up an omnivore for my match pistol. They index off of a block that attaches to the accessory rail. This weekend will be the first time in competition but I really liked it after playing with it for a while. Come on out. It is a great sport.

Depends on what you consider level 1 or 2. Some mfg seem to think static retention is a level. To me, retention comes from a mechanical device. I use the Safariland ALS holsters because that's what I carry on duty. Your thumb releases the locking mechanism which locks to the ejection port. My holster uses an ALS lock as a 2nd retention device. It don't come out unless I push the lock forward and then release the ALS.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top