JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have always wanted to get into long distance shooting and I just bought a rifle to do that. I am now in the market for a scope. I know very little about them except they cost a lot. I love magnification and I love economy and I love accuracy - I am just a stoopid beginner and I don't need anything crazy fancy, but I prefer not to go cheap just to go expensive later - middle of the road is ok.

I don't wanna get into a never ending debate like those on which motor oil is best - just simple guidance would be VERY appreciated here. I would appreciate it very much. I have bought scopes in the past some cheap some expensive and the last one a trijicon ACOG is superior to anything I have purchased before. It was easy to install easy to dial in and very functional - however I would prefer not to spend that much again if possible.

Thanks.

Middle is not ok for me unless it's a .22 rifle.

Leupold for life for me.

Local.

Lifetime guarantee, just go drop it off.

One of the highest quality company's.

Many levels of price points and performance - you get what you pay for.

Just my two penny's

I would definitely go Leupold for starters and I really like the MK-4 series for most long range apps. You have a lot of options here and its a really good optic to grow with. I know several Designated Marksmen that would not use any thing but these. I prefer Nightforce for all my personal long guns. These options will require a commitment from you as well as an investment in time and gear to get to the point where you really appreciate what you are getting! I am of the school of thought that it's better to spend your hard earned cash on a good piece of glass! Most rifles now days can shoot better then the shooter, so it makes the most sense to me to invest in optics! Have fun and learn an important sey of skills in the process. Its an addiction!

MK-4 - gulp. 3K for a scope? trying not to be whiny. why is every sport I pick the most expensive. sigh......OK. thanks for the advice guys. I sorta kinda knew I would get pointed in this direction. was hoping someone would say - no you just need this 700.00 to get going and you'll be fine.

LOL

image.png

That would last you awhile...

That should get you out there just fine! With out a budget starting line you sort of left it open to us as to what was the best versus............! Pretty much any thing in the VX-3 line up will work as well as the Nikon Monarch line up. I also find Millett makes a pretty nice scope for not a lot of coin, and then Vortex also has a pretty decent set up. All can fit the $700 range you have!

Check out primary arms site for budget minded scopes for your application.

I went with a vortex closer to 1k when I did up a 308. Now that I look back I would have likely went with the budget PA due to the fact I don't always shoot the 308.

If you plan on shooting to distance a lot, and your not just checking long range of a list of things you've wanted to do, buy once cry once.

The Leupold MK-4's can be had for $1000 to $ 1600 and can be found on line usually 10% cheaper or more! Not sure if thats reasonable to you or not! Vortex Viper hs long range scopes go for $500 or so and go up to $800. The Nikons will top out at around a grand and the Leopolds VX-3's can go a little higher!

I like the vortex scopes I have. They also have an unconditional lifetime guaranty.

I have not had good luck with the primary arms budget scopes.

a Viper HS at 4-16x50 will be $600 range.

whta kind of rings do i need with this?
Any good quality 30MM rings should work for this. I like GG&G but there are others that will work fine. You may also want to consider a one piece base and maybe later one with a -20 moa! I would not switch to that until you learn/ figure out how to shoot long range as it can add a lot of complexity to your understanding of what is going on! I would spend a few coins on a good rifle level that mounts on the rifle or scope. Many are surprised how much they cant there rifles until they add one of these, It will really help you "square Up" before each shot and will really help you progress through this very fun experience!

Any good quality 30MM rings should work for this. I like GG&G but there are others that will work fine. You may also want to consider a one piece base and maybe later one with a -20 moa! I would not switch to that until you learn/ figure out how to shoot long range as it can add a lot of complexity to your understanding of what is going on! I would spend a few coins on a good rifle level that mounts on the rifle or scope. Many are surprised how much they cant there rifles until they add one of these, It will really help you "square Up" before each shot and will really help you progress through this very fun experience!
thank you very much - you have been very helpful!!

thank you very much - you have been very helpful!!
My pleasure! let us know how things turn out! Also post pictures, we are all junkies and need pictures. And don't be shy asking lots of questions, I think every one here has lots of very good advice and opinions to help! Finally most any of us at the local clubs are more then ready and eager to help some one in the learning experience! It's all about fun and enjoyment! And un like cars and boats, you will be building an investment in your future as well as life skills!

Sorry guys, but from what I see Leupold and, to a lesser extent, Vortex glass is at a high mid level! At least price wise! They are both excellent quality wise!
I'll never need a Zeiss and I swear I'll cut a toe off before I spend more on a scope than the rifle! Order of importance,
Me- eyes, trigger control, experience.
Rifle- reasonable accuracy.
Scope- reasonable quality.;)

Good, solid, rig $$$! Meat for dinner a couple times per week, priceless!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top