JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ether will work but I would choose just the rings over a quick mount. Unless you plan to change scopes frequently or use that scope on more then one rifle. I like the quick detach rings better. I would get the scope first and then get the rings that will mount it as low on the rifle as possible. BTW, I have that same rifle and have three scope set ups and I used the mid height GG&G quick mounts on all of them! The Mids will clear a 50MM objective on this rifle just fine!

RPR2.jpg

That's my little Brothers Rifle set up! He was so red with envy he went out and got one of his own. Leupold VX-3 and you are correct, PRW rings, and yes, built like a brick............you know what! Great Shooting combo that had him at 8" at a grand!!! I'll take that any day!

Long range shooting in my opinion needs high magnification. At Tri-Country almost all the guns I see on the 600 yard range wear very high power scopes, mostly 8-32x or 12-42x.

Sounds like you have a budget of around $700 or so. Check out the opinions of the Sightron SIII scopes on the various long range and accuracy forums. It seems to be an over-whelming top pick for a sub $1K scope. You can get them at Big Supply Shop for just over $700 with a wide variety of reticules.

I have four Sightrons, including two 8-32x SIII models. One is a 1/8 target dot and the other is a mil-dot. The target dot model seems to be a little brighter and clearer and is very comparable to my Nightforce 15-55x Competition scope that retails for $2,350. My next high power scope will be another Sightron SIII.

With this level of investment, make sure the item has good resale value in case you end up not liking it or want to change it out. Leupolds, Nightforce and Sightrons all seem to have good resale. I like Nikon and Burris scopes, but they don't seem to hold value and in fact have had problems selling them later. I hear good things about Vortex but the one I used a few weeks ago was marginal at best, and I question the resale value.

Depends ultimately on the desired range requirements. I have been using a NightForce NSX lightseeker 3.5X15X50 for 15 years on my trusty old .300 win mag set up, and I have no trouble out shooting guys with much nicer rifles and much better magnifacation then me! Its all about the intended end use that counts. For this rifle build and his need for a good scope that will allow him to learn and grow. I would probably stay below a 8X16 to start, and grow as the needs and experiences dictate. I do agree with getting a good scope for its potential resale and I think Leupold or Sightron would fit that very well!

One thing to know about precision shooting. As I like to call it. The farther out you go the more precision is needed. Anyways, the one thing about it is the shooter really matters the most. You can spend all the money in the world on your rifle and scope and still be a lousy shot.

My advice to most of my "not so into shooting" friends is to start small. With a bolt 223/556 or AR. Find a factory load that does under an inch grouping at 100 yards. Then teach yourself bullet drops and compensations as well as wind drifts using this set up.

Get good at something like this. Where you can hit clay pigeons at 500 yards all day.

After that I tell my friends that they should then jump to the bigger calibers.

Out past 700 I find it too damn hard to shot my 308 without some sort of spotter. Even then I'm only hitting 1 in ever 4 to 5 rounds. Trust me the rifle and scope are capable, I'm the issue at this point.

So don't be absolutely discouraged if you get everything set up and can't hit at distance. There is a lot of ground work to be done in my opinion, before stepping out to lengths of 1000 yards.

It is a fun process though. If you ever need help with anything let me know. I try and get out to hit to 1k about once every other month.

Go to sportsmans warehouse and look through each one. Go to the range on long distance day and ask to look

I love Leupold and the glass is perfect. Price is high but they're local and excellent.

Vortex is good but having looked through a bunch they are not as clear as leupold.

Night force has good scopes under $1400

I went with a Burris 8-40x50 XTR II F-class I think it stands up to the other $1400 scopes.

Try al you can at the store.

One thing to know about precision shooting. As I like to call it. The farther out you go the more precision is needed. Anyways, the one thing about it is the shooter really matters the most. You can spend all the money in the world on your rifle and scope and still be a lousy shot.

My advice to most of my "not so into shooting" friends is to start small. With a bolt 223/556 or AR. Find a factory load that does under an inch grouping at 100 yards. Then teach yourself bullet drops and compensations as well as wind drifts using this set up.

Get good at something like this. Where you can hit clay pigeons at 500 yards all day.

After that I tell my friends that they should then jump to the bigger calibers.

Out past 700 I find it too damn hard to shot my 308 without some sort of spotter. Even then I'm only hitting 1 in ever 4 to 5 rounds. Trust me the rifle and scope are capable, I'm the issue at this point.

So don't be absolutely discouraged if you get everything set up and can't hit at distance. There is a lot of ground work to be done in my opinion, before stepping out to lengths of 1000 yards.

It is a fun process though. If you ever need help with anything let me know. I try and get out to hit to 1k about once every other month.

exactly.

just found this site opticsplanet.com - it's basically a fry's for optics. They have a scopes for dummies article - which is very good and talks about the basics of a scope - power, parallax etc. I learned a bit - with that in mind I am thinking about this scope it has a bit more magnification that the other Leupold mentioned and comes with mounting rings. the one thing the article did say is magnification isn't always better.

Model: Leupold VX-3i 6.5-20x50mm 30mm Side Focus CDS Target Matte Fine Duplex 170714 w/ Mark 2 Integrated Mount System, 30mm Ring
Code: LU-RS-6-5-20X50-SF-170714-KIT1
MPN: 170714-KIT1

on sale for 939 plus 10% off that if I order before midnight tonight. They have what appear to be thousands of scopes from all different mfg. If I look at anymore I'll get overwhelmed and not buy one.

The advantage of a high magnification variable scope is you can turn the power down. There is no turning a low magnification scope higher. I consider the lower power target scopes I bought mistakes and they have all been sold for higher power scopes.

No scope of any power will offset a bad shot, poor rifle and marginal ammo. Those of you that shoot well with low magnification scopes owe it to your shooting skills and other equipment, not the scope.

Hard to beat muscle memory and practice;)

If you can't see what your trying to shoot though it makes it a guessing game.

OP - do you have a binocular or spotting scope with high magnification. If so that might help you decide how much you want/need. I have a 30x spotting scope and you can see a long way at that power.

Hard to beat muscle memory and practice;)

If you can't see what your trying to shoot though it makes it a guessing game.

OP - do you have a binocular or spotting scope with high magnification. If so that might help you decide how much you want/need. I have a 30x spotting scope and you can see a long way at that power.

not really. I have one but nothing great. I would need something better like what you describe above. I also need a chrono which I have needed for sometime, but this will force me to get one. the magnetospeed v3 looks practical, easy and effective - yeah sorry. I am the post that never ends.

I did order the rifle scope above and rings. I am almost there.;) Thanks for all of your help and others that chimed in.

just found this site opticsplanet.com - it's basically a fry's for optics. They have a scopes for dummies article - which is very good and talks about the basics of a scope - power, parallax etc. I learned a bit - with that in mind I am thinking about this scope it has a bit more magnification that the other Leupold mentioned and comes with mounting rings. the one thing the article did say is magnification isn't always better.

Model: Leupold VX-3i 6.5-20x50mm 30mm Side Focus CDS Target Matte Fine Duplex 170714 w/ Mark 2 Integrated Mount System, 30mm Ring

on sale for 939 plus 10% off that if I order before midnight tonight. They have what appear to be thousands of scopes from all different mfg. If I look at anymore I'll get overwhelmed and not buy one.

Great scope! Congrats!

They have a ton of stuff on Optics planet but not always the best price. I had the local Sportsman's Warehouse beat their prices on occasion. But scopes seem to mostly have the same price everywhere. Plus it is not easy to comparison shop for scopes. If you go on slickguns, it is difficult to find the exact model you are looking for. I dont even see this one show up.

I did find it for $779 at B&H though (special order though) without the rings
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1211479-REG/leupold_170714_vx_3i_6_5_20x50mm_side_focus.html

Don't buy a vortex, go with a burris if you are gonna go that price point. Vortex glass sucks compared to burris. Vortex stands alone. Burris is owned by Steiner. Long range is the new fad.

actually I am ok buying whatever is the right scope. I just wince when the price goes over what the rifle costs.
Barska or BSA offer cheap rugged scopes,Leatherwood sniper scopes can be had for a reasonable price these days,scope mongers remind me of guitar mongers,the elite only think good sounds come out of Collins or Santa Cruz's,Martin's,or Gibsons,but there are a number of fine instruments that equal their performance for way less money.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top