JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I should hire you to come outfit my house. No kidding...

No need really - this stuff is pretty darn simple. Especially the MR Beam lights and the Dakota Alert. Those two make a great combo because when the power is out, they still work (when using the Dakota Alert with Walkies).

The IP Cameras are a little harder, but not by much. The people on the Blue Iris forum are great at helping beginners.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the IP cameras, download the trial software and buy yourself just one quality camera and learn, play with it. http://www.blueirissoftware.com/7.html

If your neighbors have cameras you can tap into them and have even better wide views, etc. I have three cameras all odd/different types so I could learn them. I even put a Logitech 300 webcam in my window ($15) and Blue Iris even talks to it. Something security minded but geeky fun also.

This is pitch black outside my door with the exception of the garage 75 yards or so across the street. 1080p with color, night vision, wireless, $150. As soon as a person approaches, Blue Iris starts recording.
I can have it text me a picture of the approach. Literally comes in about 5 seconds. When I am out and about it is nice to know that the UPS guy just dropped something off and I need to get back.

I have live video on my Android phone of the cameras also. (IP Cam viewer free app).

My computer in the house starts saying 'Intruder Alert!" HAHAHA. Nerd alert.

Capture.jpg

Mr Beams; I buy D-cells for .60 in bulk and actually prefer battery powered devices because I know they will always be running. I have four of these around the outside to supplement AC lighting already in place.

NOW IS THERE REALLY a benefit to all this nonsense? Yes, for me it saved me $10k in a nearly stolen UPS shipment already. Who knows what else. People tend to behave themselves better on private property when they know cameras are present.

Capture.jpg

Really glad that you guys are safe! I've had similar situations four times over the years (40) in inner NE PDX, plus one burglery. I am always armed, plus a revolver hidden on my chair. Always had sensor lights and large aggressive dog breeds. Looks like I'm going to have to drag myself out of the '60's and install some modern hardware around the perimeter. Thanks for the information Burt! You are a valuable resource on the forum!

Had this happen to us growing up. Poor theft didn't have a chance. All three times.
I'm one that lives th 1911, but trusts mr. Glock. I have glocks in differnt locations in the home and shop. Easy to get to.

If you had a dog none of that would be happening just saying they have the ears

Our dogs alarm real easy. Different sounding cars they send a body language signal to you, walkers and then the tweaker walkers really get barked at. They have a very good ability to recognize family, friend and foe, I can tell you who just drove in the driveway by the sound of their bark. If it is an unknown to the dog alarm bark, then I need to pay attention and go see what is going on.

I have driveway chimes, and when they go off, that is a full blown box alarm for them..all hands on deck NOW !!

2 of them are here all the times, and there are 2 more here (grand dogs) a lot as well.

If anybody has been on your property they will tell you where, one of them alarmed this morning and went to patch of ground, and there was a footprint in the snow just off my property..turned out to be the neighbor kids...

Dogs are not for every one, and you have to feed them, entertaining as hell, they are a huge part of our security plan.

I'm digging those MR Beam lights, gonna order a three-pack. Still looking for the right camera...

Which is easier to run to the camera? A Cat5 wire or extending a 12v wire? Is router/switch close by or an AC outlet. Distance? Will determine if you want a wireless camera or a wired/POE camera. POE = power over ethernet, everything over one cable.

The wired camera is slightly more simple to set up also programming/software wise.

You can always set up a camera to look out a window, but night vision/IR will not work because the glass reflects back. (Mr Beams may do the job illuminating on the OTHER side/outside of the glass.)

A good basic 720p camera for that sort of purpose is the Dericam 502W, about $75 and you can move the camera around with software (PT, as in Pan Tilt). Don't buy any cameras with under 720p resolution at the bare minimum. 1080p even better (a 1080p camera that was $500 two years ago is $175 now).

lolalongboarder.jpg

I second the dog suggestion, backed up with your favorite large bore handgun, shotgun or rifle. It doesn't have to be a pit bull either; you don't get within 20 feet of my front door without me knowing about it. Lola is one of the world's best fur covered snitches.

lolalongboarder.jpg

Dog is a no-go at this locale. We're renting and no doggies allowed. If we could have a dog or dogs, I'd be getting a shepard or a lab and a beagle.

Also - my POV is a 25 year old chevy, no alarm or remote. Work rig also has no alarm or remote. It would be kind of cool if it had a remote for the air horn though, and maybe remote control for the work lights/light bar - but it doesn't.

I had an interesting chat with my neighbor last night after hearing some loud noises and seeing someone rooting around by the mail boxes, and in his half of our shared driveway. I found out he's a gun owner also. He mentioned he was hoping to go coyote hunting this weekend, using an AR similar to the one I had slung while we stood in our driveway. Turned out he was the one messing with his mail box at 11pm - someone earlier in the day apparently hit it and caused it to break free of it's post. He didn't seem too freaked out by my saying "Hi, looking for something?..."

I let him know about the goings on, he's got a wife and 3 little ones at home himself. I would hate to have something bad happen to him and his family also. Still researching my camera options. Some good cameras out there for a couple hundred bucks.

Who ever it was they are getting EMBOLDENED. This is not good, it is a term I had to learn the hard way. I learned it from a lawyer. The criminal or party is becoming more adventurous in their pursuits.

Any cop will tell you, odds are its the same individual or individuals

I hate to say it, but I agree that perhaps they pegged you as an easy target after the diesel incident. I personally dislike keeping my front window blinds open because it's nobody's business what is in my house. I have Plenty of other windows to let light in. I always see people with curtains wide open at night when driving through town and you can see their huge flat screen TVs, I'm sure that attracts attention.

Had a friend (single mom) share some pictures on FB of snow tracks she found walking up to her bedroom window and walking away. Makes me feel better that I have guns within reach on both floors.

Perhaps this is a different person, but by chance is your friend in Hillsboro?
Same thing happened to my woman's boss, someone walked up to her window then walked away. Also, wire cutters were left by her vehicle, then when she placed them by the front door, someone had stolen them later that day.

So we think she has a stalker/prowler.. She needs to get armed.

Perhaps this is a different person, but by chance is your friend in Hillsboro?
Same thing happened to my woman's boss, someone walked up to her window then walked away. Also, wire cutters were left by her vehicle, then when she placed them by the front door, someone had stolen them later that day.

So we think she has a stalker/prowler.. She needs to get armed.

I had a friend tell me the same bubblegum when it snowed 2 days ago. Footprints in the snow and all.

This unfortunately happens more than we think, Snowmen don't talk!

After the storm, we had the same thing happen. We were admiring the snow in the front yard when we noticed footprints walking up to our front door, then went from my door to the neighbors door, then the other neighbors house. It gave me a chill, thinking somebody walking house to house rattling door handles. Then I thought how often does this happen when there is no snow to show the evidence, but when I expressed my concern about it to the neighbor , she explained that the mailman came really early that day :s0112:

For the IP cameras, download the trial software and buy yourself just one quality camera and learn, play with it. Blue Iris - Download

If your neighbors have cameras you can tap into them and have even better wide views, etc. I have three cameras all odd/different types so I could learn them. I even put a Logitech 300 webcam in my window ($15) and Blue Iris even talks to it. Something security minded but geeky fun also.

This is pitch black outside my door with the exception of the garage 75 yards or so across the street. 1080p with color, night vision, wireless, $150. As soon as a person approaches, Blue Iris starts recording.
I can have it text me a picture of the approach. Literally comes in about 5 seconds. When I am out and about it is nice to know that the UPS guy just dropped something off and I need to get back.

I have live video on my Android phone of the cameras also. (IP Cam viewer free app).

My computer in the house starts saying 'Intruder Alert!" HAHAHA. Nerd alert.

View attachment 78511

Mr Beams; I buy D-cells for .60 in bulk and actually prefer battery powered devices because I know they will always be running. I have four of these around the outside to supplement AC lighting already in place.

NOW IS THERE REALLY a benefit to all this nonsense? Yes, for me it saved me $10k in a nearly stolen UPS shipment already. Who knows what else. People tend to behave themselves better on private property when they know cameras are present.

Your a nut job. But after that union story, I get it. How much will that system run me?

I hate to say it, but I agree that perhaps they pegged you as an easy target after the diesel incident. I personally dislike keeping my front window blinds open because it's nobody's business what is in my house. I have Plenty of other windows to let light in. I always see people with curtains wide open at night when driving through town and you can see their huge flat screen TVs, I'm sure that attracts attention.

Blinds are usually closed or only partly open - and the house sits far enough back that you can't really see anything if you're not standing right outside. You could see the glow from teh TV, but that's about it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top