JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So a friend of mine works in an urban area. He wants something with a little better effective range if he needs to fight his way through zombies to get home. This would fit in his GHB bag. I have neither and do my best to stay clear of urban areas. I know people talk about the Sig brace, shouldered, et al. But all things considered who is really going to care in SHTF? He lives in WA so what are his legal options for our post 593 post election world?

Brutus Out

Pistol because:Shockwave blade and caa saddle looks awesome. You can also conceal it and have it loaded in your car. Also you can transfer to people not in your trust and most important is taking it over state lines. And if you don't like it you can file your form 1 and keep it as a pistol for 7-12 months until your application is cleared.

PS: Atf said you can shoulder. They will only prosecute if the weapon is used during a crime. So the whole shoulder or not to shoulder debacle is out the door. A guy was prosecuted for using an SBR in a crime even though it was a pistol with a sig brace.

Kinda my thoughts, but any time you buy a pistol or declare a lower a pistol, it's fed registered? Or merely state?

Brutus out

Depends on the lower, if it was a stripped or 80% one it is not considered a firearm by the federal government until you add a lpk. Which means it won't have a registry with either state or fed.

If it is a complete lower you bought then it was registered by the feds once it was transferred through an ffl.

Depends on the lower, if it was a stripped or 80% one it is not considered a firearm by the federal government until you add a lpk. Which means it won't have a registry with either state or fed.

Stripped are considered firearms that's why you still have to fill out a 4473 when you buy one. They are neither considered a pistol or long gun though. They are "other".

Kinda my thoughts, but any time you buy a pistol or declare a lower a pistol, it's fed registered? Or merely state?

Brutus out

If you buy your own lower and build the gun yourself, you can build it first as a pistol, then later as a rifle and back again if you like. All perfectly legal. But if you build the lower as a rifle first, then no go on turning it into a pistol later.

Now, all of that begs the question - how would they even know if you built it as a pistol or rifle? Honestly, unless you posted photos of your build, they probably wouldn't know.

Just remember, pistol first, then rifle - and then you can switch back and forth all you want - as long as you don't put a short barreled upper on top of the lower when it's configured with a rifle stock, you're okay.

Brutus out
I think you are referring to the state registry. The feds will have the serial on file but not connected with your name. Buying the lower as a pistol will get it on the state registry. However, as another poster stated, if you buy a stripped lower it should (and I would recommend verifying before purchasing) come as "other" and would go through the same process as a longarm. Because it is classified as "other", you can then build it as a "pistol". This of course is my personal understanding of the law and the process, but I do have enough confidence in that understanding to have built my own AR pistol through that method.

I think you are referring to the state registry. The feds will have the serial on file but not connected with your name. Buying the lower as a pistol will get it on the state registry. However, as another poster stated, if you buy a stripped lower it should (and I would recommend verifying before purchasing) come as "other" and would go through the same process as a longarm. Because it is classified as "other", you can then build it as a "pistol". This of course is my personal understanding of the law and the process, but I do have enough confidence in that understanding to have built my own AR pistol through that method.

Yes, good point, I did not state that, but yes, be certain your FFL transfers it as other, not pistol or rifle, or you're stuck. I confirmed that with 2 different FFL's a few months ago.

From a practical standpoint, most people can't hit someone using a pistol beyond 25'. Within 15 to 20' most people can fire at an assailant running at them with a knife before being stabbed. Between 20 to 25' you're probably OK with a pistol, until you factor in all the adrenaline in your system...o_O

I'd go SBR given the choices. Not constrained by that I'd go with a lightweight AR-15 Carbine or a shotgun. Don't bother needing to stuff it in a GHB, if you get to that point where you need to use it you need quicker access, so plan on carrying it, and practice that with a full GHB to make sure you have all the kinks ironed out.

If you aren't worried about security, then a lightweight breakdown 22 rifle is the ticket.

Well I suggest an AR pistol and it is not because I don't want to spend the 200 for the tax stamp (I do not agree with the law but it is law so I will follow them) but like others have said as a pistol I can cross state lines without notification to the feds, my pistol permit allows me to carry it loaded (depending on state) and in a SHTF situation, survival supersedes man made laws and I will take my chances if I need to shoulder it.

20150805_084615.jpg
BCM 11.5 Upper with KAK pistol tube with foam protection

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews