JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thats one of the things about an SBR. An SBR is only an SBR when its assembled as an SBR. The lower might be the part you register but its only an SBR when its all together so having it only on the barrel is 100% kosher. Put a long barrel on there and its not an SBR at that moment and you can bring it across state lines without prior authorization.

Ive even got a factory SIG lower with no caliber designation on it because it came as part of a complete rifle with a marked barrel.

Thats one of the things about an SBR. An SBR is only an SBR when its assembled as an SBR. The lower might be the part you register but its only an SBR when its all together so having it only on the barrel is 100% kosher. Put a long barrel on there and its not an SBR at that moment and you can bring it across state lines without prior authorization.

Ive even got a factory SIG lower with no caliber designation on it because it came as part of a complete rifle with a marked barrel.
Being able to switch between Title 1 and Title 2 configuration can be very beneficial, especially if you don't want to or haven't had a chance to fill out a 5320.20 form.

Additionally, the laws sometimes apply differently to "handguns", compared to "rifles" or "firearms". In my opinion it's worth keeping at least one "pistol" lower on hand, just for that reason.

It really is ridiculous how convoluted the rules and regulations are.

80% receiver guns are SBR'd all the time. Makers marks are required . Name of individual or trust, city and serial number if the original manufacturer did not put on on the gun and as the maker that would be you. ( You are NOT a manufacturer. That is a totally separate legal entity ) . The serial number can literally be anything alphanumeric. The form 1 will get YOU listed as the original manufacturer ( I know ) even if the SBR is done under a trust. Makes all kinds of sense I know but thats the gist of it.

Important: Most times you do not need to put anything on the gun for caliber as its usually marked on the barrel.

When applying, do you need to have the ser. number already engraved on the receiver? I'm wondering because I would need to have the number from BATFE engraved after it is provided.

When applying, do you need to have the ser. number already engraved on the receiver? I'm wondering because I would need to have the number from BATFE engraved after it is provided.

Again. the BATF does not provide you with a serial number. You make up a serial number and tell the ATF what it is. You dont have to engrave anything until you are ready to build the rifle . You can do it earlier if you like. Its just engraving. You have to engrave exactly what you tell the ATF the serial number and all the other makers marks will be.

Are you doing this on an individual form 1 or on trust?

I know that folks do SBR 80% lower receivers all the time, but is there really any benefit in doing so?

To me the whole point of having a 80% firearm is so that it's "off book" so to speak. Taking one and then bumping it up to NFA status doesn't get anymore "on book".

Why not simply use a lower receiver that is already finished and has all the appropriate numbers and markings (minus the "maker" markings)?

???

E

Last Edited:
I doesnt have all the appropriate numbers and markings. You have to get it engraved one way or another to make it an SBR. No cost difference.

Some people like to do things themselves.

Here is a BATF approved serial number for you to use.... JEN8675309. However your upper and lower will have to be Tu-tone to make it acceptable.

E

Last Edited:
If you don't mind me jumping in on your thread, I have a question for those that have done this before.

Doing as SBR as an individual, do you have to engrave your full name? First, middle and last? Or first middle initial and last? Or?

That and it will get a approved if that is what you put on the form. If its on the form put it on your gun. And yeah, there is no post SBR work inspection or silencer build compliance inspection or any of that goofiness. I dont know where people come up with this stuff.

I remember the first silencer I built on a trust I wasnt thinking about it and put ( MY FULL 46 CHARACTER NAME REVOCABLE LIVING TRUST ) and had it burned into stainless steel with a 40 watt laser along with the city name etc. Cost me a fortune. Then I changed the name of my trust to (MY INITIALS ( 3 characters ) TRUST ) . Much easier to get engraved into the bottom of a mag well. Thats what I told the ATF is is and they were fine with it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top