JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all I have a quick question.

I am relatively new to the ar platform and was wanting to get an sbr, but I wanted to get a legal 16" ar first and apply for stamp so I can use it until said stamp is approved.

i wanted to make a colt commando type rifle and was wondering what colt would I start with to have sbr later. Or if there is a better option then colt.

Do I go pistol route and put stock on it when sbr is approved or should I go rifle and then customize it to sbr length.

I really like the look of the built in carry handle ars.

Anyone have advice or opinions on best route?

Thanks

Jp

Go the pistol route butt stock is cheaper than a barrel.
I've got 3 SBR's a 12.5" .223, a 11.3" 6.8. and a 8.5" 300BLK.

Here is an 11.5" 5.56 AR pistol that I built from an 80% lower receiver, and the thing ROCKS! There are so many excellent pistol "arm brace" designs out there now, and the BATFE just recently issued a letter changing their position on shouldering "arm braces" saying it's legal to do. Go the pistol route so that you can travel interstate without having to get BATFE approval, you can legally carry it concealed on your person or in your vehicle with your CHL/CPL, as well as go into states that "legally" banded SBR's.... options, options.

IMG_3863.JPG

Last Edited:
Man that pistol is nice! Something like that is what I wanted to do.
Is it better to build one or buy an already made one?
Any brands to look for vs avoid?

Thanks!

As to your question... it depends. It depends what you're into, what your "able" to do, etc. I'm not at all hung up on what roll-mark is on an AR receiver, as almost all the upper/lower receivers are made by only a handful of forges for the various manufacturers.

You should focus on quality parts (regardless of name-brand) like the barrel & bolt being MPI rated, upper/lower receivers of 7075 aluminum-alloy.

Nodak Spud makes spendy but nice retro type receivers, both top and bottom I believe. Yep ... this is something new. Go with the dedicated declared PISTOL lower receiver. You can even go with a flat slab side lower and a retro no assist M16 upper.

Just use a hand brace of your desire. Maybe even a very close look-a-like CAR aluminum adjustable butt stock.

Then you can build up a CAR look-a-like PISTOL that would pass close inspection. Would look 95% like a 11.5" CAR but instead would be a legal easy to build pistol. Doable. Fairly cheap to build. Even the fake moderator could legally be used. Just screwed on.

hundreds of AR15 builds. All Oregon State, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

Edited by HB because HB better learn to read his posts .... before posting! Yikes! :)

www.nodakspud.com

Last Edited:
2FECEA04-41B0-4B58-834B-C9DF24B2E9B4-3102-000002E29B2754E9_tmp.jpg
Only build one if you have a good desposible income, or don't mind going broke... not because it's more expensive to build a pistol than buy one. It's the carbine you build next, then the 300 bo, then the 18"spr, then the 6.8, or 6.5, then the 7.62x39, then another pistol, and all the accessories and upgrades for all of them.

Building is very addictive, especially as you acquire a stock pile of excess parts. There is a lot of satisfaction in building an AR, but nothing wrong with buying a quality factory AR. My first AR was factory built and a higher end model. I learned about the platform and realized it is easy and cost effective to build one yourself, especially in today's market.

This is not fair. Now I want to build a Left Hand 6.5 Grendel AR15 Rifle. You know .... ancient old school. A 20" heavy barrel. A Rifle butt stock. Detachable top handle. Only thing I am still non sure of is what is the difference and significance between a type 1 and type 2 6.5 Grendel barrel and bolt? Duhh .... I dunno and I should! :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top