JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just like Washington's 594, We don't hear much from FFL dealers on this Poo Poo legislation.
Because they will make money money MONEY HONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!( it's just business)
I'm just saying I know Wa was sold out, you will be to O'Lordy.
Look away, beyond the blue horizon. BOHICA!
RLTW!
Bill.

Just like Washington's 594, We don't hear much from FFL dealers on this Poo Poo legislation.
Because they will make money money MONEY HONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!( it's just business)
I'm just saying I know Wa was sold out, you will be to O'Lordy.
Look away, beyond the blue horizon. BOHICA!
RLTW!
Bill.

I disagree with this statement. NW Armory testified at the Senate hearing against SB941 and contributed material evidence that is posted on the Legislature's web site. A gun shop owner has initiated the recall effort against Senator Hoyle. The gun shops are already burdened with Oregon's inefficient and unaccountable background check process. The State frequently (very frequently) delays response to a background check request and most of the time the buyer is not dis-qualified from purchasing. Dealers end up having to hold firearms for weeks and months, sometimes, before the State responds that the purchase is allowed. There may be some smaller operators that think they can profit from this but it would be short-sighted. To make a profit on the process, they would have to charge a price that would discourage people from making a deal in the first place. That's one of the reasons this bill is poorly written; it will actually discourage people from obeying the law.

Haven't seen any discussion on the added cost and added time spent by the OSP. The bill doesn't allocate any money to carry out the added burden.

Am I missing something here. I read the measure analysis and it estimates an additional 20,000 BGC's being processed, but estimates that there will only be an increase of 5 to 10 felony convictions. Would that be because the first violation would be a misdemeanor?

Yes, first violation is misdemeanor, second is a felony - inducing loss of all firearms rights. The reason they project 20k additional transfers is based upon the uitilization in Colorado after their UBC law passed. Which to me, only proves that the law is unenforceable. 20k private transfers a year is not very many to be reported/processed. There were something like 330k FFL transfers a year prior to UBC going into effect in CO.

I sent another email to specifically the house rules committee. Their addresses are :
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

I wrote :
SB 941 is a gross misuse of Oregonians taxpayer dollars, we can't justify reaching even deeper into the pockets of hard working Oregonians to fund the outrageous language of SB 941, it would be absolutely irresponsible and frankly dishonest to your constituents. To be responsible stewards of the purse you must enforce the laws that are currently on the books that forbid felons and those with criminal intent from possessing firearms. Without enforcing laws currently on the books there is no justification for expanding them especially when all reliable statistics show background checks on private sales are not the issue here. In all recent public shootings the murderers have either stolen the firearm from a friend or family, or they've bought the firearm from a licensed dealer PASSING a background check because up to that breaking point they have had a clean record. Passing this horrible piece of legislation will not attract the criminal element into suddenly following the law, it would incriminate them, why would a criminal sign a paper notifying the federal & state government that they are attempting to obtain a firearm illegal for them to possess, of course they won't. Can you name one mass killing where the murderer bought a firearm from a private sale and turned around and used it in the killing? Of course not because every single time they've either stolen it, or bought it legally because typically those murderers are mentally ill with a clean record until their illness gets so severe they finally snap. Please understand SB 941 is far off base and is an over reach into our privacy, our limited resources are already spread thin and I know mental health is an area our funds would be better spent. Many thousands of Oregonians enjoy their 2nd amendment freedoms daily without injury to others, please don't let the actions of so few strip so many of the freedoms our forefathers and foremothers worked so tirelessly to gain, please say NO to SB 941 Oregonians can see it for what it is, the bloomberg backed scheme to reach deeper and deeper into our pockets to line theirs, speak for liberty, and speak for Oregon and say NO to SB 941.

Thank you.

Eric W. Oregon city 97045

Hammer them.
Not sure what happened with your email addresses. I was going to use them and when I copied them and
went to edit the list it converted to Chinese or something.
I instead converted to plain text and. it was fine.
I just used my own list, but you might look into what that was. It did not come off my system. It came from here or your sys. (Forum or Your computer) ???????
Just strange.
Anyway I have the Rules committee list on my sys and waited till I could use it. All sent, Several friends are also mailing them and calling.
Keep hammering them till they turn to pulp.
Your letter was excellent/.

Yes, first violation is misdemeanor, second is a felony - inducing loss of all firearms rights. The reason they project 20k additional transfers is based upon the uitilization in Colorado after their UBC law passed. Which to me, only proves that the law is unenforceable. 20k private transfers a year is not very many to be reported/processed. There were something like 330k FFL transfers a year prior to UBC going into effect in CO.

Is that 20k based on the old "40% of gun private sales without a background check", same as Colorado used it's first year?

Edit: Just looked this up. Colorado's 2014 background check report, and <broken link removed> .
Just eyeballing it, it looks like it is. About 20k private background checks in CO last year. But Colorado has a much higher rate of gun purchases per year than Oregon.

Last Edited:
I added a few things...
Dear ma'am or sirs:

SB941 will do absolutely nothing to curb gun violence. California bears this out as I'm a retired Police officer from there. We had well armed gang members who had no regard for laws regarding firearms. The only determent this law brings is to the tax-paying, law abiding gun owners of our state. Criminals are just that, criminals. They are not nor will they be deterred by this law. This only serves to appease some small group of liberal minded, anti-second amendment fighting citizens who's only desire is to disarm America. A fact that kept Japan from invading us during WWII.

SB 941 is a gross misuse of Oregonians taxpayer dollars, we can't justify reaching even deeper into the pockets of hard working Oregonians to fund the outrageous language of SB 941, it would be absolutely irresponsible and frankly dishonest to your constituents. To be responsible stewards of the purse you must enforce the laws that are currently on the books that forbid felons and those with criminal intent from possessing firearms. Without enforcing laws currently on the books there is no justification for expanding them especially when all reliable statistics show background checks on private sales are not the issue here. In all recent public shootings the murderers have either stolen the firearm from a friend or family, or they've bought the firearm from a licensed dealer PASSING a background check because up to that breaking point they have had a clean record. Passing this horrible piece of legislation will not attract the criminal element into suddenly following the law, it would incriminate them, why would a criminal sign a paper notifying the federal & state government that they are attempting to obtain a firearm illegal for them to possess, of course they won't. Can you name one mass killing where the murderer bought a firearm from a private sale and turned around and used it in the killing? Of course not because every single time they've either stolen it, or bought it legally because typically those murderers are mentally ill with a clean record until their illness gets so severe they finally snap. Please understand SB 941 is far off base and is an over reach into our privacy, our limited resources are already spread thin and I know mental health is an area our funds would be better spent. Many thousands of Oregonians enjoy their 2nd amendment freedoms daily without injury to others, please don't let the actions of so few strip so many of the freedoms our forefathers and foremothers worked so tirelessly to gain, please say NO to SB 941 Oregonians can see it for what it is, the Bloomberg backed scheme to reach deeper and deeper into our pockets to line theirs, speak for liberty, and speak for Oregon and say NO to SB 941.

Sincerely,Thomas Wilcoxson, Waldport Oregon

Aa law abiding retired Law Enforcement Officer with 25 years of service

Between 2008 and 2012 (A time frame used by Everytown for a lot of things):
Oregon gun homicide rate: 1.4
California gun homicide rate: 3.7
(CDC data)
You do the math on which place is safer :)

Keep in mind the gun ownership rate is lower in California than Oregon as well.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top