JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
JUST OUT FROM OFF

http://www.oregonfirearms.org/your-rights-are-not-a-loophole

NOW is the time to turn up the heat.
If you've been working hard at contacting legislators, we are going to ask you to do it again. If you've never made your voice heard, now is the time to do it.

---------------------------------------------------

The Capitol rumor mill is in overdrive, and while it's true that Salem is the place where truth goes to take a vacation, one thing is certain, the fight to stop universal gun owner registration is far from over.

As we told you, it looked like SB 941, the gun owner harassment act of 2015, might be on the House Floor as early as today. While things can change at lightning speed when gun grabbers want to bend the rules, as of right this minute the bill is not even scheduled for a "Second Reading" which usually happens the day before it's voted on. What does this mean for us?

It can only mean one thing. They don't yet have the votes to ram it through. As you know, this bill has been fast tracked from the beginning. Bypassing all normal scheduling, the anti-rights zealots have done all they can to race this bill forward. Now it looks like it might be as late as Monday before it is voted on. It could even be later.

This means that your tireless efforts are having an effect and some Democrats are having second thoughts about their career futures should they vote for this deranged attack on your rights.

To be sure, there are plenty who continue to parrot the mindless lies about "dangerous loopholes" and "internet gun trafficking" even when they know what they are saying is false. Michael Bloomberg continues to throw vast amounts of money on a media onslaught against liberty, but… if Val Hoyle had this nailed down, they would have voted on it already.

That's why now is the time to turn up the heat. If you've been working hard at contacting legislators, we are going to ask you to do it again. If you've never made your voice heard, now is the time to do it.

As we told you on Monday, there are a handful of Democrats who we think need to hear from you now.

We've listed them below but want to add one more to our previous list. Please also contact Rep. Paul Evans. His phone number is 503-986-1420, email [email protected]

Evans is no friend of gun owners. His rant in the hard left blog "Blue Oregon" shows just how extreme he is. In it, he calls for registration of "automatic weapons," (which he defines as "hand guns as well as rifles,") with the county sheriffs.

Aside from how much he demonstrates his ignorance of firearms and current law, he also calls for amending the US Constitution to redefine the Second Amendment. However, we have reason to believe Evans would like to portray himself as pro-gun. So he's wavering. Please contact Evans, and the legislators below, with a message that your rights are not negotiable. Sample text follows after the contact info for the other House Reps who need to hear from you.

Rep Brent Barton 503-986-1440 [email protected]

Rep Deborah Boone 503-986-1432 [email protected]

Rep Brian Clem 503-986-1421 [email protected]

Rep Betty Komp 503-986-1422 [email protected]

Rep Caddy McKeown 503-986-1409 [email protected]

Rep Brad Witt 503- 986-1431 [email protected]

Dear Representative,

The supporters of SB 941 have made it clear that this bill will not stop criminals. In fact, the Oregon State Police report that they virtually never take action against prohibited people who try to buy guns. So who does this bill actually affect? People like me. People who obey the law. People who want to be able to safely store a firearm for a friend or neighbor. People who want to be able to protect someone whose life is in danger. People who vote.

I am outraged that the promoters of this attack on my rights continue to lie about this bill. They continue to parrot the disproven claims about how many people want to have their privacy invaded and their names put in a government data base. They continue to repeat the lies about "unregulated internet gun sales" and they continue to call my rights "a loophole." I am not a criminal and will not be treated like one.

My rights, my privacy and my property are not "loopholes." Vote no on SB 941.

Yours,
For those of you who are taking action, thank you - and please keep it up.
In addition to the latest OFF message, this email response came today, to one sent by me to all Senators.
This is old "news", but the Truth is circulating...

Fellow Oregonian,

Thank you for your interest and input on SB 941-A. This bill has been contentious, and it has been helpful to know your views on this issue. I have received thousands of emails, letters, and phone calls from Oregonians on this specific bill, and I wanted to keep you updated on the issue. The bill was passed by the Senate just over a week ago on a 17-13 vote. Now it is on its way to the House Floor after it passed the House Committee on Rules on a party line vote. Below is a speech that I gave on the Senate Floor about SB 941 on Tuesday, April 14th:

"The previous speaker talked about the Oregon constitution and our Federal constitution, and those were the oaths that we swore to uphold. As I look at this issue knowing that the courts have watered down those rights over time, the question really comes down to this: does this bill improve safety to the point where it's necessary to make law abiding citizens into criminals? And I thought who can answer that question? So I went to the top law enforcement person in my county which is the county sheriff. He's had the better part of three decades of a career in law enforcement, and I thought he surely will know the answer to this question. So I asked him this question, 'Have you ever, in your career, had a person to person sale or transfer where you are aware that it turned into a significant crime of any kind?' His answer was one word, 'Never.'

So that's the answer. Either there isn't a problem or law enforcement won't be able to enforce it because they simply won't know. Because clearly, at least in Deschutes County, there hasn't been an instance like this where it has been an issue. I didn't come to Salem to vote to turn thousands of law abiding citizens in Deschutes County into criminals for what, literally, is no more safety. We all know that criminals are not going to abide by this law. They do not buy guns from people who can identify them later. They steal them.

I've received a lot of comment on this bill. Between 2013 and this session, I think my email and phone count is nearly 10,000. Now, not all of those are from my district. A lot of them are from the rest of Oregon, but my feedback has run about 95% no to about 5% yes. There has been person after person after person who has said that this isn't going to fix anything and asking me to defend their constitutional rights. Having looked at this issue and focusing on what I think the attempt really is, this bill does not measure up. We had the opportunity today to go further in solving the issue of gun violence with mental health funding. This legislative body chose not to do that today, and I think that's sad. Today, the right vote on this bill is to protect the constitutional rights of the people we represent, and I will be a 'no' vote today for that reason: SB 941 doesn't make people safer but it does cost many their freedom."

Thank you for contacting me with your views. As always, let me know if there is any way I can be of assistance.

Best Regards,

signature_original-jpg.235894.jpg

Senator Tim Knopp
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My thoughts:
Our Rights don't end where emotions begin.
Please continue to do all you can, and talk to everyone you can. Thanks for the hard work everyone.
Many people are becoming aware of the dirty politics involved here, and will act to stop it, if given knowledge and encouragement.
We have to prevent a divisive and costly legislative experiment from being enacted.
This debacle is completely wrong for Oregon, and distracts from the real work to do by elected(invited) representatives of ourselves: We the People - not $,$$$,$$$,$$$'s Inc.
Thanks for your interest and efforts, members and guests.

Hey Guys/Gals, Do me a kindness and write or Call this guy. He has said, quote:

"Thanks for sharing your concerns and opinions on SB941. The bill is scheduled to be voted on in the House on Monday of next week. I do support universal background checks and will likely be voting in favor of this measure."
I have a hunch he may have read at least one of my Letters as well as other people's, and I feel he might also be slightly against the parts of SB941 that deal with lending and safekeeping etc that his Party has decided to tack on for no real purpose.
Maybe he could be persuaded to agree to an amendment or something?? I don't think he's used to a lot of negative or positive feedback in Sleepy Springfield. Let's wake him up!

[email protected]

I called all of the numbers bellow. Rep Barton's minion nearly laughed at my arguments.

call them back up. ask for the total number of people who voted for governor in Barton's district the last election. When they ask why, say you are submitting a recall petition after their vote since its clear their office does not care to listen to their constituents

Also send the message that if SB941 passes you will all vote republican in all future elections.

That is the POX to a democommie.

"Thanks for sharing your concerns and opinions on SB941. The bill is scheduled to be voted on in the House on Monday of next week. I do support universal background checks and will likely be voting in favor of this measure."
I have a hunch he may have read at least one of my Letters as well as other people's, and I feel he might also be slightly against the parts of SB941 that deal with lending and safekeeping etc that his Party has decided to tack on for no real purpose.
Maybe he could be persuaded to agree to an amendment or something?? I don't think he's used to a lot of negative or positive feedback in Sleepy Springfield. Let's wake him up!

[email protected]

Done....

I did this earlier today because of your first post about him I notice the "likely" part. I hope everyone else does too....

Im sending another round of emails tonight when I get home from work to all emails from this thread. I hope everyone else does too....

Yep many times from many places :D

[email protected]

They may not have the votes to pass this abortion.
Write your representatives NOW!
Maybe they are concerned about downstream consequences....

Sent this one today

"Representative Fagan;

Your sponsorship of SB 941 crushed my opinion of you.
After the Clackamas town center shooting, you said you would propose a tax credit for citizens purchasing a gun safe.
Was an excellent idea to foster gun safety!
Had the owner of the stolen rifle used at the mall secured his rifle in a safe, the shooter wouldn't have had that rifle.
Didn't hear anything more about it, but my opinion of your thinking was up.

Every Memorial day for the past 20 years, my Marine buddy has borrowed my M1 service rifle to march in full uniform as a color guard.
My adult children borrow my guns when they want to target shoot at Douglas Ridge.
My friends new to hunting and target shooting have borrowed my guns to get their feel before buying their own guns.
I have secured my guns in a Cannon vault safe since before it was fashionable, 1979.

I am a law abiding citizen, but if your bill passes, you will move the line between lawful and criminal.
I won't have moved, but SB941 and your actions will have moved it.
I am one of many law abiding citizens that think this way.
If you vote against this bill, my opinion of you will rise by leaps and bounds.
If you vote for this bill, I will remember you.

Sincerely
Rick Benjamin
Damascus, Oregon 97089"

Write these folks also! They may swing the vote!

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

[email protected]

I just called Representative Lively's office and spoke to a pleasant young man who told me that Lively does support expanded background checks but he hasn't officially made a decision as to how he will vote. I told him that the way this law is written will discourage people from obeying it. He asked me why and sounded like he genuinely wanted to know. I proceeded to have a 10 minute conversation with him and answered more questions he had. One of the points I made was about how, of all the proposed amendments to the bill, the only one that passed was the one that actually weakened the law enforcement aspect (changed the language about reporting denied claims to law enforcement from "shall" to "may"). He said that they had noticed that too. If this young man represents the culture of that office, I think there is enough open-mindedness there to listen to reason.

https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2015R1/Measures/Overview/SB941?pubDate=2015-04-29-16-38

941 goes to the floor for the second reading tomorrow and vote on Monday.

I've just sent one more to every member of the House outlining the salient points:

To the members of the House of Representatives of the State of Oregon,

Why SB 941 is a poorly written bill:

• It imposes an additional tax on Federally licensed collectors
  • It imposes an additional tax on citizens who possess a valid Concealed carry license
  • It will not prevent domestic abuse. Background checks winnow out only those convicted of a crime, not those who may commit domestic abuse
  • It will not prevent known criminals from access to firearms
  • It will criminalize citizens who loan firearms to friends for temporary use
  • It will criminalize citizens who temporarily transfer possession to others for the safety of themselves or others
  • It will overload a system which is already rife with glitches,errors,slow-downs and produces unnecessary delays and false denials
  • It is labeled an emergency where none exists
For these reasons the only common sense is to vote NO on SB 941

Last Edited:
I just called Representative Lively's office and spoke to a pleasant young man who told me that Lively does support expanded background checks but he hasn't officially made a decision as to how he will vote. I told him that the way this law is written will discourage people from obeying it. He asked me why and sounded like he genuinely wanted to know. I proceeded to have a 10 minute conversation with him and answered more questions he had. One of the points I made was about how, of all the proposed amendments to the bill, the only one that passed was the one that actually weakened the law enforcement aspect (changed the language about reporting denied claims to law enforcement from "shall" to "may"). He said that they had noticed that too. If this young man represents the culture of that office, I think there is enough open-mindedness there to listen to reason.
I really think he's starting to become aware that even the people that like BG checks for all sales are disturbed by the over reach of this Bill.
He needs to hear from us all! [email protected]

another round sent. I used some copy/paste from some of the replies in this thread to mix up with my own thoughts. I wanted to provide something different each time I write and there are a lot of good posts in this thread. I also included Rep. John Lively in with the group in OFF's list.

I actually appreciate those that share what they wrote here because during the day I cant access firearms sites from work I'm limited to my smartphone where lengthy typing is not practical so I've managed to send some emails during the day that were copy/pastes from here to help flood the emails...

Keep up the email, phone campaign... more importantly spread the word to get MORE people sending emails in opposition. If anything tell them they can copy/paste from this thread or forward your own email to them. I've got at least 2 new people to do it this week.

I feel like even against all odds that Oregon is putting up a fight for their rights and every email sent represents what would have been a vote if the deceitful Democratic majority that's pushing this bill had the balls to actually serve the people like they should and let them actually have a say. Clearly there is some huge level of deceit, lying, and a hidden agenda for they way they are doing this... registration. Keep up the fight for freedom, Cheers everyone.

Right.

This bill will pass barring intervention from higher deities. The question now is: "What are you going to do about it?" Do you keep working yourself into a lather on this and other boards to the point where you publicly advocate armed rebellion? Are you going to load your guns, stand on your roof raging and waving the Gadsden Flag and are you going to act on that and fire the first shot?

or

Are you going to keep your cool and continue working on your elected critters to prevent any further extension of gun laws you know are coming down the pike? Are you going to support candidates who will aid you? Are you, yourself, going to run for office?

These are the choices you have now.

Those aren't the only options, and it's not over even if they pass this bill.
It only means we have to totally recall all of them.
This is only done by remembering names, faces, and what they said and did.

And what you suggested is ridiculous in my opinion. The opposition wants us to get crazy and violent so they can crack down on us harder.
I say, encourage businesses and law enforcement to stop protecting them, or providing service.
I say, encourage the county sheriffs to detain these people for violating our rights.
I say, turn more cities into people, akin to "people" corporations, and get a restraining order against these people who want to subjugate us.
I am against the use violence, but not when it's self-defense (under the specific and relevant Oregon Statutes).

We're like cats about to be declawed.

Remember, phone calls are more effective than emails. Do both! Be prepared to give reasons to oppose this bill that even people who support the idea of it can relate to. Most of the Democrats who are considering voting against this bill are in a sticky situation. They're stuck between their constituency and their political peers (who can apply an enormous amount of pressure). Give them the facts they need so they can defend a NO vote to their peers.

Dear Engaged Citizen,

The Oregon Senate has unfortunately passed Senate Bill 941 despite staunch Republican opposition. The passage of this bill can make criminals out of law-abiding firearm owners Oregon. The Senate Republican Caucus put up the best fight we could in urging the majority party members to oppose this unnecessary burden and infringement of the second amendment.

Here is the speech I gave on the floor during the five hour long debate, which ultimately ended in an almost party line 17-13 vote, the twelve Senate Republicans were joined by one Democratic Senator, Betsy Johnson (D-Scappoose).

My office received a large amount of correspondence by engaged citizens from all around Oregon. I am a strong supporter of the second amendment. I regret to say that the power is out of the control of the Senate at this time. I urge you to reach out to your Representative in the House, and especially House Democrat Leader Representative Val Hoyle (D-Eugene), her office number is (503) 968-1900.

Thank you for being active in voicing your opinion. It is your voice and pressure that can ultimately be the deciding factor in stopping the restriction on the rights granted us in the United States Constitution.

Sincerely,

Herman E. Baertschiger Jr.
:confused:

I just received this. The red bold is mine;

Thank you so much for your opinion on Senate Bill 941 and for being engaged in the legislative process. It is extremely important that Oregonians let their representatives know where they stand on the bills we're voting on.

There has been a lot of confusion about Senate Bill 941 and what it actually does. It expands our existing background system to include private sales such as those that take place on websites like Craigslist. I will be taking your opinions on this matter into consideration when I cast my vote on the bill.

Thank you again for your email. I hope you will continue to contact me about issues that are important to you.

Sincerely,

Phil Barnhart
State Representative
Central Lane and Linn Counties
District Office 541-607-9207

-----
I guess there won't any more Craigslist gun sales...there goes my fully automatic 50 cal w/fully automatic hi cap rocket launcher:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews